• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Rifles Afield (as intended)

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Very informative brother Spaher! Long wind blows true.

I looked thru some of my recent photos to perhaps find an example of the folds or wrinkles around the ears. I have considered this myself before, and I’m happy you brought some light to it. The photo below is one of our older bucks. The shot angle is not what I was looking for, I’ll keep looking.

F82DA27C-08F7-4A03-8A70-078482B1AB60.jpeg

thus far, and it’s very premature with our new property as we have only had it since spring, but we are noticing a much lower doe to buck ratio in comparison to the areas we’ve hunted for 30 years. the property is 80% standing timber, with white , red and black oak dominating, acorns are hitting the ground everywhere. We have become increasingly excited with all our findings. Since this is the first opportunity we’ve owned to actually manage and hopefully control a property and it’s potential, I have a growing interest in all the things you’ve mentioned here. Any research or resources will be much appreciated! Thank you Brother Spaher :)

Bloo

Last edited by a moderator:
I should add..this Tangent, may need to be reappropriated to a different thread. Sako’s Afield and wildlife management are of course connected, but I don’t wish to offend those who feel it has nothing to do with Sako collections. My apologies if this is the case. This Thread has maintained a nice continuity for 11 pages now since it’s introduction, I would hate to spoil that.

Bloo

Old Hippie, you are correct as maybe different thread.
But for finality, see photos attached of my reference to ear wrinkles between eye socket and front of ear. WT ear wrinks 1.png WT ear wrinks 2.png

Note: Spaher has had a lot to do with the Wildlife Research Institute at Texas A&M Kingsville. They've done a lot of good work on whitetails and their diseases.

As far as being in the right place with this discussion, I think the everyone enjoys imagining seeing their Sako in a photo with some of these deer!

Fine replies gentlemen,
Ageing deer is not an exact science! If you live in Texas, a state that has deer management programs that are excellent. You, as an observer, seeing good numbers of deer can judge age more effeciently. I have a system that is in no way fool proof. I judge deer like people. Catagories are : Teen age, look lean & fidgety. Young mature, like a racehorse muscled & confident!, fair to good antler mass. Mature, legs look shorter, pot belly, front of neck larger & heavy. Antler bases larger. However we should not just take bucks but also take young does as well. This will balance the buck/doe ratio & compress the rut, provide best birthing time for fawns & produce healthier fawn growth. Pic = Bachlors on Dutch Island GA
Naturally in spite of all our good intentions mistakes will be made. like some others I dislike T.V. archery hunting shows, mainly because of the delay in the death of the animal and it gives the anti hunting group too much fodder for the animal cruelty complaint. I fear it will work to end hunting as a sport in the future. Just my opinion. B/T

Attachments

• IMG_3660 (3).jpeg
    IMG_3660 (3).jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Note: Spaher has had a lot to do with the Wildlife Research Institute at Texas A&M Kingsville. They've done a lot of good work on whitetails and their diseases.

As far as being in the right place with this discussion, I think the everyone enjoys imagining seeing their Sako in a photo with some of these deer!

It’s awesome, this forum, and the gathering of individuals, all unique and individually knowledgeable about Sako firearms and their service to both hunters and collectors. To explore the branches and connections is only natural. I for one am quite excited to know of Mr.Spaher’s involvement with wildlife resources and management. His comments will always get my attention.
I must agree with Stone also as I have imagined a couple of my rifles leaning across some of his wonderful whitetail examples!

bloo

Haven't been able to attach doc. but will make relevant to share a Sako prediction or preview of bucks that will be photo'd with an appropriate Sako in background from some of our hunters in the next couple of months, hopefully. Several mature bucks 7.5 yo (1-5) that are ready to be harvested & one way post-mature pot bellied in color photo that is 10.5-11.5 but still a trophy as he has evaded earlier hunts.....(photos help get the hunting fever revved up to go mature 1.jpg mature 2.jpg mature 3.JPG mature 4.jpg mature 5.PNG post mature 1.jpg exercise our Sako's)

post mature 2, 10.5-11.5.jpg Old Hippie, one more try as I am computer challenged reflecting the coloration changes, belly, weak ear cartilage where ears flop and wrinkles, but hard to see in this image lacking clarity.

Fine replies gentlemen,
Ageing deer is not an exact science! If you live in Texas, a state that has deer management programs that are excellent. You, as an observer, seeing good numbers of deer can judge age more effeciently. I have a system that is in no way fool proof. I judge deer like people. Catagories are : Teen age, look lean & fidgety. Young mature, like a racehorse muscled & confident!, fair to good antler mass. Mature, legs look shorter, pot belly, front of neck larger & heavy. Antler bases larger. However we should not just take bucks but also take young does as well. This will balance the buck/doe ratio & compress the rut, provide best birthing time for fawns & produce healthier fawn growth. Pic = Bachlors on Dutch Island GA
Naturally in spite of all our good intentions mistakes will be made. like some others I dislike T.V. archery hunting shows, mainly because of the delay in the death of the animal and it gives the anti hunting group too much fodder for the animal cruelty complaint. I fear it will work to end hunting as a sport in the future. Just my opinion. B/T
That’s another way to look at it!
I’ll just keep my standards as high as my heart will allow. It’s been several years since I’ve taken a whitetail buck with a rifle. I’ve passed up many each year, taking a couple doe for table fare instead. I hunt for that Wallhanger, but I’ve not harvested one yet I deem worthy. Lol! I’ve got enough antlers around here to build a chandelier even “Uncle Ted “ would be proud of.
It becomes easier tho, to pass up on a shot. Froze half to death, toes throbbing…snot-sickles…because I’m still hunting and out there , being part of it. I enjoy the hunt Way more than the harvest. I think sometimes it’s what today’s TV driven hunters are missing.

bloo

Hi Bloo & fellow Sako shooters,
The time has come for me to not climb trees or sit in the rain, brave the bitter cold, or the August heat to kill a deer. I no longer become enchanted to get up in the middle of the night, drive 100 + miles to see if Mr. monster rack is crossing that road at dawn. I do however like to see young bucks grow & develop, enjoy seeing the new fawns, Silver sun rises & golden sun sets. Knowing that if I want to shoot a deer my Sako is zeroed in & if the time is right it will do the job it was intended to do. I still marvel at the skill of the craftsmen that build such a beautiful rifle. & know the Sako will not fail the shooter, if the shooter does his part! Best of luck to all our hunters and remember it is the hunt that is the important part of the journey. B/T

Attachments

• IMG_58342 Sakos.jpg
    IMG_58342 Sakos.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5659.jpg
    IMG_5659.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5586_Momentfinished .jpg
    IMG_5586_Momentfinished .jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 21
Knowing that if I want to shoot a deer my Sako is zeroed in & if the time is right it will do the job it was intended to do. B/T

Of all the things I find enjoyable with my time afield, one of the biggest has to be my rifle. Not just because it’s a Sako (which just makes it that much better) but because it’s my partner, my companion. Same with my knife… we’ve done this together so long. Memories…of hits and of misses, of success and of failure. When on stand, or sitting on stump or a rock, my rifle forked safely in the crotch of a suitable branch, or perhaps laying across my lap. She will always get a glance, and a smile, just happy to be together again for one more chance with luck. Maybe we’ll be in the right place at the right time? If not there’s always the next time!

….17 days

bloo

Ah, not many people get passionate about their knife. I do.
I prefer a fixed blade one of a kind custom. I carried the same one for many years but just got a new one.
Found a custom maker in New Zealand that charges far less than here. Does exceptional work in his small workshop.
Btw I'm talking 400 range for full custom.
This one is stainless Damascus with Buffalo horn bolster and new Zealand swamp kauri handle. Several thousand year old wood.
Sorry to get off track again
20191127_145547.jpg

I cherish every day I can get out in the woods, especially when my two sons are able to get time off to hunt with me. Unfortunately it isn't as often as I would like but I will take what I can get. I like all of you love my Sakos but truth be told my favorite time to hunt is during the Archery season, been doing it since I was 16 years old and now I am 69. Am still packing in a climber and climbing trees to get elevated, although it takes me longer to get situated, I still love it. Used to do a lot of deer hunting out of state but a number of years back both my buddies I hunted out of state with passed, and have quit traveling, instead just enjoy Pa.
Here are a couple Dunn Dymondwood knives I have and don't use, instead use my old Buck knives. 1631222211888-1658986069.jpg

Knives…deserve that passion too! Let’s take a chance and show them off! Mine was a gift from my wife, before she was my wife. Almost every deer I’ve taken in my life has been field dressed and boned, processed all the way to the freezer with this knife. All it needs is a touch up on the India stone each year, and hair flys…I’ve customized it a bit with new scales and liners. 0588B886-49C1-477C-948B-3BDF64DDDC5A.jpeg ED9AD5AD-241C-44B9-90E8-AC652F2EC8B3.jpeg
5C45CC61-E0B6-4F8A-ACC2-973DFE4C56B0.jpeg

1981 Case XX Arapaho

bloo

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunter25…that looks to be a well made blade! Buffalo horn bolsters! Nice!
Marlin … great looking blades! Buck knives always gave me problems keeping sharp. Once they are they perform well but my Case knifes will cut up venison all night long while the Buck gives out quickly and requires touch up.
All knives are cool…bloo

Bloo I have been using buck knives for 50+ years with no issue maybe has do with the model, age of the knives I own or sharpening technique but I haven't had issues you mention with holding their sharpness. Interesting

I can get 2 or 3 animals skinned and quartered with various other cutting without even touching a steel with my customs.
I've never had a factory knife work that well for me.

Bloo I have been using buck knives for 50+ years with no issue maybe has do with the model, age of the knives I own or sharpening technique but I haven't had issues you mention with holding their sharpness. Interesting

Me too.........

My "Bucks" have served me well.....since the mid 70's.

Maybe BlownHip......errr BloHip :) .....has has been trying to match the Ginsoo ad. You know......the one with the BRICK!! :) :)

Back