• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Rifles Afield (as intended)

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

That's what I was thinking. My widest whitetail spread is 20 1/8" outside, and yours looks much wider than mine. I've shot a couple mule deer that went 24". I really like your buck. Keep your pictures coming.

7F936C4C-F2D2-40A8-867C-1D584DC132F3.jpeg 16A34DCA-731E-459D-92B6-D320106A0D6C.jpeg D956BFCA-52E8-4908-90F2-8D723F059645.jpeg Classic 6x6 & Classic 7X57:
This 8.5-9.5 y.o. buck was hunted by 3 hunters, the first 2 never saw him & the 3rd passed on him as he must have had different expectations or bad eyesight. Usually if a special mature buck is passed the hunter is not invited back or one of our group jumps on the chance. I jumped on the chance. It was dark & 35F, the 1st really cold front this season with his appearance amongst a group of fawns & does. I waited to make sure he was unbroken (common in rut), in the meantime he darted in & out of the Sendero (narrow road or path in brush) at 200 yds chasing does for what seemed like a long time with the probability that he’d not return. But he did & stopped with a side view long enough to focus & send a 162 gr. Nosler solid base into his shoulder at 80 yards.
He was all that I wanted, a typical 6X6 with great brows & harvested by this 7X57 Deluxe on its first hunt, a fitting trophy.
I believe I had posted this buck’s trail photo here earlier when we excitedly awaited the season.
I took time from our doe & cull harvest to hunt him this one morning but well worth it.
Yesterday 3 rifles harvested 28 deer & today we’ll fall short from repeating that number. The walk-in cooler is filling up fast as time running short being short-handed both in the shooting (easy part) to hauling & gutting. (Photos attached)…
We usually stop our hunts around Jan. 15 but will keep hunting thru the 31st to reach our mgmt harvest goals. I’ll post any interesting developments as I need exercise a Sako FN Mauser .300 H&H soon.
Cigars & libations are in order after the evening hunt to celebrate this grand old buck taking his place on our wall.
Cheers & Shoot Straight…

Hi Stonecreek!!
Looks like your hunting partner's son is a good shot!! I'll bet he didn't have to trail the deer with that high shoulder shot as evedenced by the blood marking the hit. As for the rifles & cal. We were talking when coming home after a hunt about finding ammo. 30/06 was always easy to find,I said you could even find them at a Victoria's Secret store! then when my buddy said B.S. you know damed well that is not true. I smiled and told him it's a lot more fun looking for them there, than at some old stinkin hardware store. B/T

View attachment 25130 View attachment 25131 View attachment 25132 Classic 6x6 & Classic 7X57:
This 8.5-9.5 y.o. buck was hunted by 3 hunters, the first 2 never saw him & the 3rd passed on him as he must have had different expectations or bad eyesight. Usually if a special mature buck is passed the hunter is not invited back or one of our group jumps on the chance. I jumped on the chance. It was dark & 35F, the 1st really cold front this season with his appearance amongst a group of fawns & does. I waited to make sure he was unbroken (common in rut), in the meantime he darted in & out of the Sendero (narrow road or path in brush) at 200 yds chasing does for what seemed like a long time with the probability that he’d not return. But he did & stopped with a side view long enough to focus & send a 162 gr. Nosler solid base into his shoulder at 80 yards.
He was all that I wanted, a typical 6X6 with great brows & harvested by this 7X57 Deluxe on its first hunt, a fitting trophy.
I believe I had posted this buck’s trail photo here earlier when we excitedly awaited the season.
I took time from our doe & cull harvest to hunt him this one morning but well worth it.
Yesterday 3 rifles harvested 28 deer & today we’ll fall short from repeating that number. The walk-in cooler is filling up fast as time running short being short-handed both in the shooting (easy part) to hauling & gutting. (Photos attached)…
We usually stop our hunts around Jan. 15 but will keep hunting thru the 31st to reach our mgmt harvest goals. I’ll post any interesting developments as I need exercise a Sako FN Mauser .300 H&H soon.
Cigars & libations are in order after the evening hunt to celebrate this grand old buck taking his place on our wall.
Cheers & Shoot Straight…
Great buck, and better stories!

Hi Stonecreek!!
Looks like your hunting partner's son is a good shot!!
To the best of my recollection the three trophy deer he's taken over the last several years were all one-shot kills. He only shoots his original Bofors-marked Finnbear .30-06. It's been about 30 years ago that his dad asked me to watch out for a nice Sako .30-06 to give his son. I happened across one which still had the hang tags on it from an individual who needed to sell. It appeared never to have been fired. IIRC, I gave the guy $450 for it.

Spaher, congratulations on a rare, fully typical, 6x6! Those don't come along very often. And this one looks about as symmetrical as they come, too. I can't feature what the guy was thinking when he declined to shoot this one -- maybe the sight of it just made him tremble too hard to aim his gun:eek:!

You've got a fantastic management system. I know you must put a lot or work into it, but it is obviously a labor of love. Very few people, even if they had the resources, would work as hard to produce outstanding whitetails.

I need exercise a Sako FN Mauser .300 H&H soon.
Photos please! The FN-Sako in .300 H&H is a one of my favorite Sakos. Here's a shot of mine. The .300 is the custom rifle on top; the other is a .30-06 in factory original configuration.
2 Rifles .JPG

I just left the ranch for a couple of days & will send better photos of my FN-Sako 300 H&H as well as one other Sako .300 H&H.
This is a field photo from last year sporting a vintage Leupold 8x fixed scope that I’ve changed recently to a variable with a German Post reticle
I know, I know the butt pad is terrible. The original pad had crumbled & I took a correct looking pad, but the gunsmith on his own decided on this black one instead. I was not pleased at the product or the cost. Utilitarian but I’ll swap out sooner than later.
BTW, it is very accurate.

Attachments

• 5E16C6E3-815D-4FB4-8BD2-C97221B29CE8.jpeg
    5E16C6E3-815D-4FB4-8BD2-C97221B29CE8.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
It speaks extraordinarily well of Spaher's Sakos that they always seem to have a dead deer under them:)!

Icebear, attached photos of 2 300 H&H’s,
FN-Sako & Deluxe. The Deluxe came via the Dakota auction & in need of swap of bases/rings & scope. The FN-Sako is a sweet shooting rifle now with a Leupold 4.5-14x40mm, German Post reticle. I don’t like 8x+ or higher fixed scopes as I have trouble getting a quick sight picture at close ranges in the field. I hunt at 4-6 & then can go higher once target id’d.
BTW, including photos of an L46 25-20.

Attachments

• 3BB83260-BB51-4D48-892D-64E2DD83F334.jpeg
    3BB83260-BB51-4D48-892D-64E2DD83F334.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 55722902-648D-4727-886E-EE778442467F.jpeg
    55722902-648D-4727-886E-EE778442467F.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 9C04A632-F685-4784-A327-80E481D6787E.jpeg
    9C04A632-F685-4784-A327-80E481D6787E.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 39
Those are a couple of rifles that are getting pretty close to the Sako Holy Grail: A L61R Deluxe in .300 H&H and an L46 in .25-20 (a caliber which was never commercially imported to the U.S.)

That looks like a Bushnell Scope Chief on the .300 Deluxe. Those were some of the best scopes ever sold under the Bushnell name and competed favorably in their day with Redfields and Leupolds. Some were equipped with the "Command Post", which was a post reticle that you could flip up with a tiny lever located under the windage turret cap. Lots of people like a post for fast/close shots so it seems like other scope manufacturers might have copied this clever design.

Icebear, attached photos of 2 300 H&H’s,
FN-Sako & Deluxe. The Deluxe came via the Dakota auction & in need of swap of bases/rings & scope. The FN-Sako is a sweet shooting rifle now with a Leupold 4.5-14x40mm, German Post reticle. I don’t like 8x+ or higher fixed scopes as I have trouble getting a quick sight picture at close ranges in the field. I hunt at 4-6 & then can go higher once target id’d.
BTW, including photos of an L46 25-20.
Very nice indeed. Interesting about the Leupold 4-14x with a German post reticle (I assume #1). I have the same power and reticle (in matte black) and thought it was the only one in captivity. It's currently in the magic box waiting for a new host rifle. I had it on my Steyr SSG-69, but got a deal on a 2.5-10x Steiner with a sniper reticle so that was that and the Leupold is on reserve duty at the moment. The German #1 reticle is good for quick target acquisition but not the best for shooting tiny groups. I can shoot better groups with he SSG with the Steiner than with the Leupold, despite the difference in power.

That is a great looking 25-20. You don't see too many Sakos that old in that kind of condition.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Last chance, 1/8/2022.
Going to farm this P.M., Meet my Son & Daughter-inlaw for last hunt of the season.
Will take Forester .243 & hope to take a young doe making it 4 removed this season. Finally a cold snap next week but too late for us in GA. Supposed to be 40s tonight & 70s tomorrow. seems like perfect growing season for Covid-19 . Hope you all had a good hunting IMG_3414 (1).jpg IMG_5643.jpg IMG_3414 (1).jpg IMG_5643.jpg IMG_5643.jpg season & best of luck to all!! B/T

Latest posts

Back