• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Riihmaki .17 ack Bee

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Stephen Cea

For the more knowledgeable, I have an opportunity to purchase the above at a very low price ($100) with the idea to have it rebarreled to a caliber I'm somewhat familiar with and can get components for. I would appreciate any feedback on what calibers would work reliably with the current set up.....Second, is it worth the effort.
Essentially I would be buying it for the action and trigger since the stock seems to be after market.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

For the more knowledgeable, I have an opportunity to purchase the above at a very low price ($100) with the idea to have it rebarreled to a caliber I'm somewhat familiar with and can get components for. I would appreciate any feedback on what calibers would work reliably with the current set up.....Second, is it worth the effort.
Essentially I would be buying it for the action and trigger since the stock seems to be after market.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

The original bolt face & magazine were set up for the 218 Bee, a rimmed cartridge, so your choices for converting it are limited. The magazine alone is worth about twice what you are paying for the whole rifle & the Bee bolt face action is very rare & would garner a sweet sum as well. Modifying the action or bolt in any way would be a big mistake. A new barrel in 218 Bee or one of it's wildcat variants & finding a used L46 stock to fit it in would be my recommendation.

I'd think long and hard......before I changed anything.

In the meantime you could visit the folks over on the "small caliber" board, saubier dot com, for all the sub-caliber info you'd want/need.
17's are their thing........tell'em I sent ya. :)

Hope this helps.

+1 what Paulson said. You could make the new barrel chambered for .218 Bee, .25-20, or .32-20, or any wildcat on the Bee case.

I would buy it, restock it and shoot it as a .17 AB.

I would leave the scope on initially to try it out, but it may need to be replaced. Depending on what it is (it's familiar with the turrets forward like that; an early Prominar maybe?) you might be able to on-sell it and recoup your $100.

Marcus

Interesting rifle! I'm not sure that the stock wouldn't dress up with checkering and proper finish to make a nice straight-grip super-light sporter. Pistol grips are overrated in my book. After all, the straight grips predominate in lightweight SxS shotguns.

I'm guessing that the "Texan" scope is a product of Weaver made for a proprietary marketer. There was once a popular producer of reloading equipment branded "Texan", which may have marketed this scope.

Never having had much luck with the little .17's, if it were mine I might look at doing a .20 Bee since I've had excellent luck with the .20's. On the other hand, if you like pot-shooting small edible game like rabbits, etc., then it would make a dandy little .25-20. Or if you're really into retro, only a few lucky people these days still have a .32-20 rifle.

I’m with keeping it like it is. The straight grip stock could be accented with some checkering if you like the feel of it. The Douglas barrel should be of high grade, and the action is what it is, one of the best!

My personal taste would rather have it in the period correct Sako Furniture, but that’s just me.

Heck, if you have dies and supplies to shoot it like it is, at least give it a try. If it doesn’t suit you, go back to the .218 bee chambering or something that works without changing the bolt face requirements or dimensions.

Old Hippie

Thanks guys for all your suggestions, I am not however a .17 wildcat guy so I put a member here in touch with the owner and I believe a deal was made.

Regards,
Steve

I'm working on it. But L46 furniture doesn't come up all that often. Kindly let me know if one is found and reasonably priced.

rick

I'm working on it. But L46 furniture doesn't come up all that often. Kindly let me know if one is found and reasonably priced.

rick

The best I could do is organise to have one copied for you, but you’d probably be able to do that closer to home.

Many Thanks

But unfortunately it could not be imported to America

rick
A stock could easily be imported from OZ. However, shipping & import broker fees could make it more expensive depending on circumstances. I've shipped gun parts to OZ & received knives from there with little issues. Guy in Oz had to fill out a simple government from to get a magazine I sent him USPS & the knife came directly to my house, no questions asked. Cost of exchanging currency is another factor.

Back