• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako S491 deluxe .223

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

scp

I have come across a Sako S491 Deluxe .223 unfired in the box still. Can anyone give me some history on this rifle in value, rate of twist,accuracy,manufactered time frame or any general knowledge of the S491.

Thanks

It was the successor to the A-I and had a larger diameter bolt and action. It also had a non-integral recoil lug. I think it was produced from the late 1980s into the 1990s, but am not certain of the dates, and it should be a Stoeger import. It should be valued about like an L461 or A-I in like condition, but I personally find the heavier action not as desirable for these small cartridges. However, that doesn't mean that I would refuse to give it a ride home at the right price!
t.gif

Stonecreek,

I was wondering if you could tell me if there are similar differences in a 579 and 591? I know the 591 has the seperate recoil lug, but are the bolt and action larger on the 591 than on the 579?

Thanks,

Rick

Sako advertising at the time of the introduction of the S-series touted the fact that all of their actions would now be of the same diameter. (I think that our fearless leader, Jim, has posted an advertisement with that information.) I assume that diameter is equal to the largest action (S-691), which should have been similar to the L61R in size. If that logic is correct, then comparing the L579 diameter to the L61R should tell you if the L579 replacement (L591) was of larger diameter. (I hope you can follow that logic; I know it is pretty serpentine!)

Now, I believe that the barrel shank of an L579 is smaller than the barrel shank of an L-61R, therefore I'm going to guess that the diameter of the S-591 is a bit larger than that of the L-579.

This is only a guess; I'm sure that someone here actually knows.

Guys!
Here are some info on the differences:
?disposition=download

Jim,
Great sheet on the standardization. It's good you collect that stuff. No one can ever argue with a factory statement in writing.
Stonecreek, you have a good memory. All of this makes me feel somewhat better about my "old" L61R's for some reason.
S-A

Can anyone tell me what the value of a S491 deluxe unfired in the box would be? What rate of twist did the .223 come in? Also what type of accuracy should I expect? Thanks

If I had a NIB S491 Deluxe in 223 I would be looking for 1800-2000.00. If after the first barrage of well heeled tire kickers didn't snap it up I would soften my stance. I've sold 3 L461/A1 Deluxes, 2 in 222 and 1 in 223 in the last 2 years, the least was 1275.00 and the most was 1400.00. All were mint rifles, ie you would have to take them out in the daylight to see any marks on them, none had the factory boxes with them, all had the hangtags and all were sold on Gunbroker. I don't hold the S491 in as high esteem as others do, to me the A1 is the most desirable of the small actioned Sako's. I do have a S491 custom in 223 but the only part that is Sako is the action and the removeable recoil lug is not something I consider a positive, I paid 600.00 for it on Gunbroker last year and frankly it is one of my best PD guns. As with all collectors, something that sticks in ones craw may just slide right down on someone else. As for accuracy I've never had a factrory Sako rifle that would shoot with a custom built by someone that knew what they were doing with a premium barrel, ie Pacnor, Krieger, Hart, etc. Shooting factory ammo I would think MOA or less, taking the time to handload a specific combo probably .5-.75 would be pretty easy. I've never owned a Sako that shot like a turd, something that I can't say for other manufacturers.

Not interested in selling I am going to shoot this one. Can anyone tell me what rate of twist these have?

Would love too buy or trade for it. Have 42 Sako rifles if you are looking for a particular one.Regards,Robert

Does that sako have thicker pistol grip? Mine does but i like slender like my others!
I have s491 short action deluxe in 223 second one from bottom,special ordered it and prepaid but when it came i guess they sent the reps gun ,the dealer wanted more money ,needless to say he didnt get and rep didnt get his high grade of wood stock either !LOL
Iam reloading so wondering if this is a 1 12 twist and 23 inch barrel
28g win748 40g vmax neck sized
is 40 grain bullet good choice

Latest posts

Back