Sako Safari

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by kevinlg, Sep 1, 2021.

1. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    As Stone knows, I'm not exactly a fountain of knowledge concerning large bore/action Sakos.

I was browsing auctions last night, and ran across this one......that seemed a bit odd....to me anyway.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/909213118

I guess the scope mounting was what first caught my eye..........and all for only 20 grand. I'm sure they pulled the rear sight off for......some.......reason. :)

Whaddaya think?

2. gunner620

gunner620 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hey Kevin if you want it it's just a couple miles up the road from me ! I can look it over for you. It will look really good with those small bore's you have. Jim

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    That seller prices his guns at several times market value and lets them renew over and over for weeks/months on Gunbroker. He's had a very sad, hacksawed-and-glued Brno for sale for what seems like decades that I've seen on Gunbroker as well as other sites for an eternity. I can't quite figure his strategy (just because someone persists in doing something doesn't mean they are successful at it.)

I don't know what that rifle (with its missing sight) should be worth, but the next one of that edition, the 90th Anniversary model .416 Rigby in mint condition and with a Swarovski scope, sold at auction for a net of around $8,000 a few weeks ago.

4. gunner620

gunner620 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Yes, that seller has a very large inventory of guns and all that I have seen on line or at his location are over priced. Just trying to razz Kevin a little. Jim

kevinlg likes this.
  5. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    If you are patient you can find Sako Safari's for $2,500-$3,500 in various calibers, the .375 H&H being the most common. Expect to pay a little more for .416 Rigby or .416Rem. They also come in .300 Win Mag and .338 Win Mag. One fairly rare .338 was posted recently with no sale for around $3,100 on GB and I believe the same gun in now on Guns International. The scope can be easily duplicated whether Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender, Zeiss, etc. and all with rear sights which are way cool as they come with a second folding sight for 200 yds. My 2 cents.

6. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The AIV Safari was also made in 9.3x62. Most were sold in Europe.

7. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    So now I’ve got to start looking for one in 9.32x62. The never ending search continues….thank you, sir….

8. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    They are not easy to find. I seem to recall seeing one on Gunbroker, or maybe Guns International, a couple of years ago. There are very few in the USA. For that matter, you don't see an AV in that caliber very often, either. I have one, and the guy who sold it to me has an AV Mannlicher carbine (he sold me the rifle when he got the carbine), but I haven't seen many in the 20 years I've owned it.
    AV-1.JPG

9. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    I've seen two- 9.3's. One AIV safari grade that I posted about a few years ago, and an AV that I found in Laramie before that. I tried to buy the SG, but the GS owner was a douche, kept raising the price. The AV was too rich, but I did help a guy from Canada get in touch with the GS proprietor.

Charles Witt likes this.
  10. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Jim.........

I resemble that remark! :)

11. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Get that guy to join up and post pix! Sounds like he'd fit in.

12. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    He was active in the previous form but I haven't talked to him in years. I should give him a call one of these days - he's a friend from before I moved to Arizona.

gowyo likes this.