• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Scope Mounting Questions: 85 Varmint

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

BobbR

Hello Everyone!

Can anyone share advice/information about using SAKO Optilock rings and bases to mount a scope on a short-action 85 Varmint? I intend to mount my 30mm-tubed scope with a 50mm objective (58mm outside diameter) on my 85 Varmint Stainless chambered in .243.

I assume I'll need the "short" Optilock base set: S170R956 Correct?

Also, how low can I go? Of course, mounting as low (closest to the bore) as possible is desired, but I'm concerned about cartridge ejection, which I understand can be an issue with these rifles.

Optilock rings in Xtra Low and Low seem to be my options. S130R928 (xtra low) or S130R929 (low).

I'm considering other mounting options outside of SAKO, but this particular inquiry is focused on using Optilock rings and bases.

Thanks for any advice you can share!

One other thing: these parts are damn hard to find in North America!

Chart says Low rings for that objective diameter, but it really depends on the scope tube length and objective bell geometry. If you can try X-Lows do it. Short bases for short action. No need to worry about ejection issues on short action 85's.

Chart says Low rings for that objective diameter, but it really depends on the scope tube length and objective bell geometry. If you can try X-Lows do it. Short bases for short action. No need to worry about ejection issues on short action 85's.

Thanks for your input! I just found a set of "short" bases from a vendor in Canada, and it was the last set they had. Every other place I could find short-action bases in stainless steel was in the UK or Europe. I found a few "Xtra Low" rings in stainless in the USA (Ebay was one source), but "Low" are even harder to find. Surprisingly, "Low" rings are listed on the Beretta USA website...and they are the only height offered in 30mm stainless on that site!

So....

The "short" bases and on their way from Canada, and the "low" rings are on their way from Beretta USA. "Xtra-Low" rings might work (and I'd prefer them), but I'll affix the upcoming setup first to see just how much more room, if any, would be available that might allow "Xtra-low" rings.

Frankly, I'm quite surprised at the lack of support for the Optilock system in North America. Granted, SAKO rifles are not high-volume sellers, and the business case for stocking Optilock components might not make much sense for many retailers. However, for Beretta USA not to carry and offer a decent selection is, to me, inexcusable. If the company that owns SAKO won't support its own products with components, especially components for a system they tout, that's not a good situation for customers who spend a good amount of money on a premium firearm.

Thanks again to all who've responded.

The last Optilocks, Stainless, that I picked up was out of Canada. They didn't seem to have any problems with access to them.

The last Optilocks, Stainless, that I picked up was out of Canada. They didn't seem to have any problems with access to them.

Good for you! You've been fortunate. From what I've been experiencing, Beretta USA doesn't seem to care much about this. Case in point: when talking directly with a Beretta rep on the phone, she basically said "what's on the website is what we have." That's it. NO hint of helping me find the stuff I wanted or trying to get it. In fact, she referred me to Midwest Gun Works to see if they had the stuff (they didn't)! It was like they were blowing me off and telling me to look somewhere else because they couldn't be bothered! When the actual company tells me to go look elsewhere, that's not a good sign! Maybe the Beretta management in Canada takes a different approach? I hope so!

Another well-known, major vendor of SAKO rifle and other optics in the USA even told me that SAKO didn't even make the rings and bases I wanted. I sent them a chart from SAKO that showed them they were wrong, and they responded by saying "Oh. Well, we don't have them anyway."

Some of the resellers in the UK had some Optilock items, but they wouldn't ship to the USA. Another company in Slovenia (optics-trade.eu) said they could get the rings and bases I wanted, and they even checked with their supplier to verify that. I'd have ordered from them if I ultimately couldn't find them in North America.

I'm awaiting the arrival of the stuff I ordered. Fingers crossed!

Latest posts

Back