1. Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim
    Dismiss Notice

Son Of Squiggly

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by kevinlg, Oct 15, 2021.

1. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Some of the best wood I've ever seen on a Sako Deluxe, especially the L46. An L46 Deluxe in .222 Magnum is rare, to say the least.

Charles Witt likes this.

2. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Thought id share this chunk of unfinished squiggly even though this thread is like 8 months old. Right now I’m finishing up the inlet. I’m also sanding and shaping it to a more slender fashion which I prefer.

The pictures are after it’s been wiped with a clean wet rag to raise the grain. Once it’s where I like it it will be polish sanded with 600, then 1200 grit paper. I know it’s perhaps overkill but it’s what I do. Then it will receive my preferred hand rubbed finish method. I have a few other do-dads to add then it will go the Sherry Abraham (Kimber and Cooper fame) for checkering. I wish this stock was for a Sako, but it’s not, it’s for my fantastic.257 Bob custom. Thanks.

Edit: the original stock is nice but plain -jane. I had sort of been looking for a nicely figured replacement.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  3. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi fellow Sako fans!,
    I just aquired a 25/06 AV deluxe in a left hand configuration & while looking thru several "guns for sale" adds. I see a AV,25/06 Magnum for sale? is there such a cal. as that? I know about a .257 Weatherby Magnum but never was aware of a Sako 25/06 magnum,??? Just asking!! B/T

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    No.

Sometimes the "magnum" moniker is applied to standard cartridges as a sales gimmick. The 6mm Remington (when it was renamed from the .244 Remington) was initially given the designation "6mm Remington Magnum". A handful of early 700's were marked that way, as I recall, but that was soon dropped, recognizing that it just confused the shooting public.

A bid differently, although it has no belt, the .222 Remington Magnum was so designated to differentiate if from the regular .222 and also because it had a larger case capacity and greater velocity.

However, there has never been such a designation for the .25-06, so the advertisement you refer to is simply an erroneous reference. There is such a thing as an improved .25-06, or .25-06 Ackley, but I've never heard it referred to as a ".25-06 Magnum".

atticus and Bucktote like this.
  5. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Here's a Remington letter addressing the 6mm mag. The rest of the story varies but it is thought that about 200 rifles were stamped 6mm Rem. Mag. The factory thinks they X'd out the "Mag" before the rifles were shipped, but there are rumors that a few somehow slipped out before being X'd out. Of course, Remington collectors are looking for those few that slipped by, like Sako collectors are looking for the Bofors stamped 25-06.
    6mm Rem. Mag.jpg

6. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Very interesting, D2! That appears to be an internal company memorandum, which shows there was some confusion within the company on the subject of the new name of the cartridge. I recall some hoopla coming from the Remington propaganda mill about the "brand new powerful 6mm Remington Magnum" before they decided that the "magnum" designation was inappropriate. I still am enjoying my Sako .244's without the need of calling them by some metric name.

It was never named "magnum", but the former .280 Remington became the "7mm Express Remington" for a short time before the whims of the market revived the .280 Remington moniker. Maybe they should have called it the ".280 Express" in the first place. Funny how it was virtually given up for dead, then renamed, but it caught on in spite of the renaming as a highly versatile and newly popular round.

7. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Rifle manufacturers were not the only ones to try goofy marketing. Ammo makers did it too. Winchester and Western both tried to market 28 ga. Magnum shells just because they had 1 oz of shot.......it didn't catch on.
    28 ga. Magnum.JPG

8. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The .25-06 Magnum was the original name for the rare .257 Jackalope wildcat. According to usually reliable sources, the cartridge was created by a gunsmith in Dallas at the behest of J.R. Ewing, CEO of the Ewing Oil Company. The smith produced a set of dies and a plain-Jane test rifle stamped ".25-06 Magnum." The test rifle was successful and Mr. Ewing ordered an unknown number of deluxe-grade custom rifles chambered for the new round, which he christened ".257 Jackalope." These rifles were made for the use of Mr. Ewing and guests who were invited to hunt on the Ewing ranch. The fate of the rifles is unknown. They were not in the inventory of the Ewing estate and there have been no confirmed sightings since Mr. Ewing's death. The name of the builder is unknown, as Mr. Ewing, a man of secretive nature, swore the gunsmith to secrecy. The actual dimensions and parent case for the wildcat are also unknown.

The .257 Jackalope is much sought-after by collectors, but it may be as rare as a live jackalope.

jackalope 1.jpg Jackalope 2.jpg

9. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Icebear: The first photo is a genuine North American Jackalope, known to inhabit bars, gas stations, and gift shops across most of the Western two-thirds of North America.

However, the second illustration is an artist's rendering of the Irish Jackalope of the pleistocene epoch. It inhabited Ice Age Europe, and from remains found in peat bogs in Ireland, Scotland, and continental Europe is estimated to be approximately half-again the size of the current North American Jackalope. It is believed the the fierce Irish Jackalope had something to do with the supposed extinction of the Neanderthals. However, recent DNA testing indicates that there is a near pure strain of Neanderthals currently inhabiting regions in and around the Kremlin.

icebear and sakojim like this.
  10. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Thank you for that interesting information. I was unaware that Jackalopes had ever existed outside North America.

As to the question of the origin of the Kremlinites, known in Russian as siloviki, there is some disagreement in academic circles. While the Neanderthal hypothesis is widely held, some scholars hold that the inhabitants of the Kremlin are, in fact, a relict population of a previously unknown subspecies of Piltdown Man. I do not take sides in this academic dispute.

sakojim likes this.
  11. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Gentlemen,
    Thank you for your extensive research on the origins of the afore mentioned cartridge & the animals it was used to be taken with. The picture of the now extinct european Jackolope reveals that it is completely devoid of genetalia. Thus the main reason for its absence from our midst. However, unlike the present occupants of kremlinville whose reproduction sadly occurs much too frequently the jackolope is a much more desirable animal & is much missed by all!! , Associate Proffessor of bovine scat:
    B/T

sakojim likes this.
  12. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Your diplomatic background is showing.

icebear likes this.
  13. bigcountry4me

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Update on my squiggly Bob project. 95% complete, now off to have it checkered etc. A couple of finish coats when it returns. But I’m going to shoot it first. The wood to metal fit is about as good as I’ve ever done. Pillar’s installed. Sorry for the photo quality, I’m a picture taker, not a photographer.

Attached Files:

14. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Nice Job & great piece of squiggly!!

15. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello 4me,
    Is your stock made from American Black Walnut? or is it another species of Walnut? You are very talented with your stocking skills.
    Blackjack

16. bigcountry4me

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Thanks Blackjack for the kind words. The sellers add stated black walnut, and his reputation and feedback is solid, so I believe it’s correct.

And to be clear, I bought it as a 90% inlet. It did require some wood removal in the action area as well as, some removal in the bottom metal area. I also chose to free float the barrel. The outer portion was slimmed down prior to finish. I am pleased with the final result. Some finishing touches by others, and it’ll be ready to go.

The photos are poor and don’t properly reflect. The flash and lousy lighting are not helpful. Thanks again.