thanks Barry

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017

2. David_S

David_S Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    New Zealand
    State/Region:
    other
    Are you reloading? Full length or neck sizing? If neck sizing try a few resized unloaded cases to see if have problem. If find a problem F/L size that case and see if problem goes away.

I had a similar situation a few times with both my 75 and 85 WSMs. Even had a deer lined up one time but could not close the bolt! I am surprised the deer did not die of shock at my language! Problem was that after a couple of neck sizings the case shoulder moved forward. Solved it by F/L sizing or bumping the shoulder back with a Redding Body Die. I think the WSMs are prone to this as I have never had a problem with other calibres but don't have a .222 Rem.

I still neck size the WSMs but before loading I cycle them through the chamber and bump the shoulder back if any feel like sticking. Probably would be easier to just F/L but I am trying to extend the life of my cases as long as possible. A bit of dirt or debris in the chamber can also cause the problem.

This is just one possibility. There are bound to be a zillion others! - David

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    If the cases have been reloaded multiple times, the neck walls may have become too thick. With a bullet seated the neck diameter would be tight to the chamber neck. Easy to check & fix by turning or reaming. Without a bullet they may seem to chamber fine. Just food for thought. Check your loaded neck diameter & compare to SAAMI spec.

4. Barry Dewick

Barry Dewick Active Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Hi David---yes I reload and neck size only---I bought FL dies
    figuring that was the problem--then I stripped the bolt
    and the fired cases cycled nicely --reassembly the bolt
    and the bolt is sticky with the same cases
    thanks Barry

5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Another thought! I have two rifles I can't neck size cases for as the chamber is a little fat & allows the case wall just above the web to expand too much. I have to use a FL die to take the case wall down about .002" in that area, but I don't touch the shoulder. I call it "partially" full length sizing. They still shoot exceptionally well, so I just live with it.

6. Barry Dewick

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Hi--I just reloaded the cases I have and can t shoot until next week
    When I have some empty cases I will try sizing as
    you suggested and try again
    Thanks Barry

7. David_S

Country Flag:
    New Zealand
    State/Region:
    other
    Barry, I am not quite sure what you did here. Could you explain further please.

Back to your problem. (BTW I am surprised nobody other than Paulson has chipped in). Assuming your rifle was previously cycling OK then it is a question of systematic elimination. Have you changed anything lately - case, bullet, seating depth etc? The problem is either with a) the bolt - wrong bolt, sticky firing pin, dirty/damaged locking lugs or lug recesses etc; b) the cartridge - case problems as discussed earlier (have you trimmed the cases lately?); or c) the chamber/throat - dirt/debris, damage, rust, copper or carbon build-up.

Be systematic. For example if your rifle fires factory loads (or f/l sized reloads) ok then look to your reloading.

In any case before you fire your new reloads I suggest you give the bolt lug recesses, chamber, throat and leade a good clean. If you can lay your hands on a borescope have a good look for carbon and copper build up. Borescope inspections can be quite humbling in my experience! Good luck, I'll be interested to learn what the problem is. - David

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  8. Barry Dewick

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Hi David---- I just stripped the bolt and tried a factory case
    Case falls into the chamber with no resistance
    Bolt closes with no resistance at all
    Tried a reload and the same results
    Assemble the bolt and you have resistance both open and closing
    with the reload and the factory case
    The bolt lugs and the chamber are clean
    the firing pin spring does does not slip into the bolt smoothly
    As I bought Sako used is it possibly that the spring is not the right diameter
    ??
    Do you know the correct diameter of the spring ???
    Thanks for the reply
    Barry

9. David_S

Country Flag:
    New Zealand
    State/Region:
    other
    Barry, I am no Sako expert and know nothing about the Vixen so can't help. But I am sure that there are many here who can help you.

However it does sound as though something is not right with your bolt. When you tried the bolt disassembled I assume it had no firing pin and that when assembled it did? When assembled does the firing pin protrude at all? This would certainly affect bolt closure on an unfired round compared to a fired round with indented primer. After you cleaned the bolt assembly how did you lubricate it - normally only light lubrication is required.

I hope some Vixen owners chip in here as anything I write is speculation and it is a long time since I last disassembled a bolt and that one wasn't a Sako. - David

lord frith likes this.