Strange things seen on Gunbroker

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by icebear, Jul 27, 2021.

1. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    As is often the case, Gunbroker is providing entertainment for us Sako fans. Here are the latest oddities.

First up is a seller listing a Marlin-Sako model 322 varmint rifle as a "Sako Ruhimaki." Funny, I've been all over Finland and never did find a place called Ruhimaki. I suppose I should have sympathy for the culprit on this one, as I have astigmatism and the proliferation of double letters in Finnish, especially double i's, gave me fits when I was learning the language. It's not easy to sort out the difference between tili (an account), tiili (brick), and tilli (dill). Nonetheless, I would be skeptical of anything said by the seller, who obviously knows nothing about Sako. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/905660993

And then we have one of the strangest Bubba jobs I have ever seen on a Sako rifle. This Franken-rifle started life as an L461 Mannlicher carbine in .222 Magnum. Some previous owner decided to change the stock from two-piece to one-piece by removing the barrel band and gluing the two pieces together, with a dowel in the screw hole. He also refinished the rear half of the stock (but didn't bother to sand the stain off the front piece, or match the stain on the two pieces), added a pad (just what you need on a rifle with near-zero felt recoil) and recheckered the forend in a pattern that I can only describe as different. To his credit, the seller (who is not the Bubba who did the work) describes the modifications as best he can. The nose cap is still there, so an enterprising buyer might restock it with a one-piece Mannlicher stock. That's assuming there isn't anything else wrong with it. Opening bid for this gem is $850. No takers as of last time I checked.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/905998445
    pix748383362.jpg

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It's hard to say if that is a reworked factory stock or a replacement. The way the recess for the loading port is tapered, along with the very different grip cap, has me tending toward replacement. If so, it's difficult to say why the stocker chose to attempt to make it a glued-together full stock instead of either making it a one-piece full stock or a short-barreled half-stock carbine. And why would they discard the barrel band/sling swivel? The metal looks nice, which is probably the result of a good re-blue. And the bore looks very clean (insofar as a photo can represent it).

3. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Here’s an interesting example…

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/906477477

This makes the second time I’ve seen a stock like this. It’s hard to wrap my head around the straight combed stock and semi-pancake cheek piece, especially with a L579 numbered in the 16xxx’s
    , but the stock shows a lot of Sako-esque attributes. The checker patterns match up closely to those of a early L46. The recoil cross bolt looks legit. It has a Sako butt plate.
    Never say never? Or is it just plain never?

edit: this is not the second time I’ve seen this, just noticed. Same gun same seller as before, cleaner photos and a different hardwood floor!

Hippie

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  4. Tracy Redpath

Tracy Redpath Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    icebear. waiting to hear your Sako's rifle adventure with ATF and local PD.

5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    loimu = flamed, koivu = birch The stock is obviously walnut so the seller has no clue. I really do like the stock better than the Monte Claro, however, & it does look like it "could" be factory. L579's started in the 10,000's with the serial numbers, so that one is probably pretty early in the run. I saw a L57 with a similar stock once, so who knows.

Old Hippie likes this.
  6. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I know nothing about the rifle, but the seller has a very bad reputation on Gunboards for selling faked or altered Finnish military rifles and militaria. He has changed his screen name on Gunbroker at least twice. His prices tend to be somewhere between high and over the top.

Old Hippie likes this.
  7. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Not sure why you're posting the question on this thread, but I posted the convoluted tale of the .222 Magnum Mannlicher under the title of "Crime Story" last Monday. Here's the link:
    https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/crime-story.16538/

8. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The "Bubba Special" Mannlicher sold for $960. I was not a bidder!

9. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    The seller’s had this one up for a while. The earlier listings detailed “Flamed Birch Stock”. I suppose using the Finnish translation might help distract a potential buyer from questioning it?o_O
    I wonder if that translation is proper Finnish grammar in phrase?
    I also find the stock to be attractive, and much of its detail seems to fit the factory practices of the period.

I have to question why someone would go through the trouble to inlet a L 46 stock to fit a L579 , alter the forearm shape , add a recoil lug , and re checker the forearm with period correct patterns…but I guess worse has been proven itself in the past.

Hippie