Successful elk hunt!

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by stonecreek, Sep 15, 2017.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I've found that the way animal weights is expressed in different parts of the world varies somewhat.

In the U.S., we mostly talk about the weight of a live animal as if it were a cow walking across the scales at a livestock auction -- that is, before field dressing. Other places I've found that when people talk about the weight of a deer, sheep, or antelope they mean with the entrails below the diaphragm removed. Still others speak in terms of the hanging weight of a skinned carcass. Even then, some count the weight with head and lower legs on, while others count the weight with those parts removed.

So, we're not always apples-to-apples on weights, which can often be confusing (and sometimes even cause ill feelings:oops:).

2. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yeah, I guess Magnum Research ordered these built to their specifications and that's how they wanted the lettering. The lettering is very shallow and I doubt it would survive a reblue. If it were me I would have made "Sako" much more prominent on the action in order to capitalize on Sako's reputation.

I've never seen one of these other than in the long action, but I understand that they were also built on the M591 and S491 actions, similarly contoured like the Rem 700. I have seen at least one .223 on the S491 offered online. The sellers usually ask a premium over a factory Sako, and while they are well-made rifles I don't see them as being more valuable than a factory Sako.

3. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I have shot over 60 elk, none with a bow, and have always marveled at what a large animal they are. Even a calf elk will beat a big mule deer for weight. I have killed all sizes from calf to big bulls and they are all quite a bit of work to handle the carcass.

A mature cow can still push 600 pounds and anyone thinking that isn't a lot has never handled one. If you don't think that is a lot, a V-8 engine won't weigh as much...

IMG_0011.JPG

4. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You speak the truth! I can only remember having to field dress one elk by myself, and I was still in my thirties at the time. What a chore! Just maneuvering the carcass so that the entrails roll out downhill is all you can do, if you're lucky.

For the last several years our group has been fortunate to have the use of a long-bed Kawasaki Mule to retrieve our downed elk. We outfitted it with an electric winch mounted to the roll bar, which makes loading an elk carcass about 100 times easier. Even when the elk falls in thick brush it's easier to hack a path through the brush for the Mule to get to it than to try to drag the animal into the open. One bull, dead on its feet with two Nosler 180 Partitions traversing its chest cavity, stumbled off into a brush filled gully several years ago. It took a half hour to get the Mule down to it, but otherwise the bull would have had to come out piece at a time. Some latter day Daniel Boones may scoff at our using motorized assistance in retrieving an elk, but when the average age of the group hits 60+, all huffing and puffing at 10,000 feet altitude, we'll take any help we can get!

5. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    This is the best way to load the elk. I mounted a rail in the back of the truck so I could hook a Warn ATV recovery winch to it, then hook the cable to the elk and drag it in with the winch. Saves backs and time...

DSCN2140.JPG DSCN2141.JPG DSCN2143.JPG

6. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yep, that's pretty much the way the winch on our Mule works. The winch on the Mule does have a little remote control keyfob which makes it possible for the winch operator to be on the ground with the elk and guide it as it makes the transition to the vehicle bed.

The advantage to the pickup truck is that once loaded you can transport the carcass over longer distances and public roads. The advantage to the Mule is that it gets into much tighter and more difficult places. I'm sure that which works better for you depends on where you hunt.

7. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    So . . . why hid this poor sketchy record information under an Elk Hunt?
    Why not post it under a heading that everyone will observe?
    Politicians . . . . always hiding information from the public.