Tikka T3X Lite Pinned Bolt Question

Discussion in 'Valmet and Tikka' started by cat9, Sep 19, 2021.

1. cat9

cat9 Well-Known Member

Hello

Due to a dumb purchase, and return, of a used rifle, I now have to use a store credit. This leads to a list of new rifles I know little about (which includes most firearms).

I have decided on a Tikka T3X Lite, Stainless barrel, Synthetic stock. At least I will salvage a new item for me, i.e. stainless/synthetic.

My first choice in caliber is 7mm-08. Second choice is 270.

I realize the Tikka has one length receiver. I read the following online:

“For the .308 family they pin the bolt so it doesn't travel as far back and block off the … mag.”

My question is, does this pinning of the bolt add a complexity that can go wrong later?

If so, better to choose the 270. And a 25-06 is also available and interesting.

Thank you.

2. cat9

cat9 Well-Known Member

But maybe the long action calibers are pinned also, just at a different location?

3. CerebralDistortion

CerebralDistortion Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Smaaland
    What decides the action length on a T3(x) is the bolt stop. So if you want to shorten or lengthen "the action", all you need to do is to replace it with a correctly sized one.

The pin holding the bolt stop is only held in place by friction, and not much at that.

caberslash likes this.
  4. cat9

cat9 Well-Known Member

Thank you, CerebralDistortion. It seems pretty clear, then, that in the Tikka any caliber is the same as any other in terms of the mechanism’s reliability.

I am still dithering on what caliber to choose in a Tikka, but 7mm-08 has inside track. I have now learned there is no negative to short cartridges as all calibers have pinned bolts.

Still also considering a BLR, but already have a couple. And the available one is 6.5 creedmoor, maybe a bit odd for a lever action.

5. CerebralDistortion

CerebralDistortion Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Smaaland
    No problem.

7-08 is a good cartridge and performance wise not far behind the 6.5 CM. Both are depending on a long enough barrel to reach past 1000 yds.

But that is target shooting and I would say that the 7-08 is the better one for hunting deer sized game this side of 300 yds or what ever you consider your limit is.

The 270, IMHO, does not give a considerable advantage unless you go for game beyond 300 yds.

Good luck with your choice.

6. cat9

cat9 Well-Known Member

Thanks again. I will let you know what I decide on. If Tikka, as likely, 7mm-08 almost for sure. If BLR, unlikely, the creedmoor. But I will wait for one more website update to see if anything else surfaces.

7. cat9

cat9 Well-Known Member

Just to close the string, I ended up buying a Beretta shotgun for one of the kids. He's happy anyway.