• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako TRGs TRG-S / M995 Magnum rebuild?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

First of all I am not a gunsmith. So I may be asking rebuild questions that are not possible to configure.

Project gun - I have a Sako TRG / M995 originally in .300 Win Mag which was re-barrelled to a Shilen .300 Wby Mag.

Problem - When I had the gunsmith re-barrel I did let him talk me into laser cutting muzzle brake holes into the end of the barrel.

I wish to be rid of this deafening sound concussion that I created and am considering a rebuild to a new caliber, .260 Rem.

First question - will this Sako M995 action, bolt face and magazine handle .260 Rem cartridges?

If yes then - Will the AIWS CIP magazine handle .260 Rem cartridges?

First option considered - Send rifle to Shilen and re-barrel to .260 Rem.
Second option considered - KRG Whiskey 3 Chassis for the Sako M995 action if the AIWS CIP magazines will handle .260 Rem.

I no longer need an "elk rifle" and would not miss the heavy recoil either.

Thanks guys,
Michael

Michael- I am not sure that the M995 bolt face is the same as a like cartridge in an L61R action. If it is, you have a magnum bolt and the .260 would require a standard bolt face set up. The .260 has the same as 308,243 ETC. You may wish to try a dummy round to see the difference.-Misako

No, it is not practical to rebarrel an action with a magnum bolt face (.530") for a cartridge with a standard diameter head (.473").

Betcha wish your TRG-s was back to its original .300 Win configuration without the blow holes in the barrel. Surely you saved the original barrel? Why not just screw it back on and write off the cost of the Weatherby misadventure to experience.

I'll agree with both above and add rebarrel to a breed of WSM. depending on how far back they ported it & the chamber area of the barrel you could make it a 300WSM as the cheapest option

Late to this thread but you can get the bolt with a .473 face from Brownells for $237. I took a M995 from 300WM to 6.5x55 with a re-barrel this way.

L

edt: BTW, when you take the factory barrel off one of these you have to cut them a majority of the time so they are typically trashed. Once you start planning a build on a M995 don't plan on being able to reuse the old barrel.

Last edited:
Late to this thread but you can get the bolt with a .473 face from Brownells for $237. I took a M995 from 300WM to 6.5x55 with a re-barrel this way.

L

edt: BTW, when you take the factory barrel off one of these you have to cut them a majority of the time so they are typically trashed. Once you start planning a build on a M995 don't plan on being able to reuse the old barrel.

Late to the party as usual, but this is interesting! I'd like to take my M995 from .30-06 to 6.5x55. Other than a barrel, what else would need to change?

Late to the party as usual, but this is interesting! I'd like to take my M995 from .30-06 to 6.5x55. Other than a barrel, what else would need to change?
Just barrel needs to be changed.
get your hands on a KRG action wrench so you can remove barrel.
Anything wrong with your 30-06 barrel?

Just barrel needs to be changed.
get your hands on a KRG action wrench so you can remove barrel.
Anything wrong with your 30-06 barrel?

Nothing wrong with the rifle, just the operator. I have shoulder issues. I can shoot 6.5x55 all day long. Half a box of .06 and I'm done for the day.

Latest posts

Back