• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Type of birch used in early sako stocks

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello Topgear,

That is a fantastic photo, Any idea of the year it was taken? It looks to me like the 1940's. My sister-in-law Sari and my brother Bob who live in Turku Finland will visit us here in England in August. They are traveling in their
camper-van. I have talked to them about the Artic-Birch in Finland and they know where there is a wood-mill near where they live. Having visited the mill recently they said that there was some beautiful Birch Blanks at not very much money, and they purchased two for me and will bring them over in August. I will try posting some photo's of the Birch Blanks when I receive them. It is quite handy having relatives living in Finland!

Regards Blackjack AKA Mike The Limey
Please Do!

Hi all!

Newbie in Forum. my name is Erkki. I live in Helsinki about 60 kilometres
south off Riihimäki.
Sako used silver birch (betula pendula) for Stocks. But it Was a subspecies: finish name is loimukoivu which meens flamed birch as the patterin look liike flame.
A curved birch (visakoivu) is another subspecies butt that is much more expensive.
The dark color comes from pine tar as it makes the ficures more visible. The color differences comes mainly from wood density and moisture level. Also the mixture of tar, linceed oil, solvent etc. Was ”hand” made.

Back