Vixen .223 1970's?

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by bwnutter, Sep 25, 2021.

1. bwnutter

bwnutter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Need some help on this one guys. I would like to sell it but have heard a huge range of numbers.... any help is incredibly appreciated as I am a beginner to Sako. 20210803_112500.jpg 20210803_112448.jpg 20210803_112535.jpg 20210803_112616.jpg 20210803_112703.jpg 20210803_112724.jpg

ricksengines likes this.

2. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Appears to be a really clean A1 HB. Looks like Millet ringmounts with a Bushnell Scope Chief scope. The rifle is of later production, after 1979, most likely early 80’s. The early Sporter rifles in .233 bring the highest value, however, even in an HB A1, you still have a very nice sought after specimen. The value is open for discussion, as it really depends on several factors. I’d look at auction sights, Gunbroker etc, to weigh the market. If you place an add here and the price is in line you’ll have folks contacting you almost assuredly. Hope this helps.

Edit: completely agree with Stonecreek below. The A1’s on the red table, etc (Gunbroker) are completely mis-priced. Those rifles have been re-listed over, and over. I’d also agree with his ballpark assessment in where the market is related to a HB rifle such as yours.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    bwnutter likes this.
  3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Your AI heavy barrel is a desirable rifle (like any Sako!) The market for heavy barrels is not at broad as that for sporters, but it should still be a fairly liquid commodity. The rings and scope aren't particularly premium, so don't count them as adding substantially to the value of the gun.

You can see some fantasy prices asked for Sakos when you look at offerings on Gunbroker or Guns International, so don't be misled by those "beyond market" prices if you're interested in actually selling your rifle. Instead, look at the prices Sakos actually sold for in the "completed items" on Gunbroker.

Ballpark: Less than $1,000 would be an attractive price for a buyer; more than $1,000 would be an attractive price for someone selling as an individual -- give or take a couple of hundred depending on the phase of the moon and the real estate market in China. As with opinions in general, others may vary higher or lower since it is impossible to accurately judge the value of a rifle via only a few photos on the internet.

bwnutter and bigcountry4me like this.
  4. bwnutter

bwnutter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Thank you all for the info! I just sold it for $1100 + $75 transfer fee. I believe it was a fair deal by all acounts

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

gowyo likes this.
  5. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Bwnutter,
    Good luck with your sale, those prices over here would be a bargain!!!!!!
    Jay

6. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    That was one of the shortest lived love affairs I’ve ever seen!
    Congratulations!
    Bloo