Welcome home...

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by Traditionalist, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    My Last Sako... IMG_2263.jpg IMG_2264.jpg

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    You would have been much better off to use the "low "old vintage Sako or Leupold rings than the ones you did so your scope could be lower. That Bavarian stock is not designed to use scopes mounted that high. That also would have allowed you to get the front ring back farther & not be so close to the glass lens, which the ring "may" be putting pressure on. Just food for thought.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Bernie’s Dad likes this.
  3. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    That scope appears to be a Zeiss Conquest 1-4x, which has a 30mm tube. That would rule out the use of old-style Sako rings. I am not familiar with the details of the Leupold ring offerings, but I assume those would be available in 30mm. I agree that a lower mounting position would be more comfortable, at least for most shooters. Warne QD rings would be another viable option, but they are discontinued and not all that easy to find, especially in 30mm.

Beautiful wood on that carbine.

4. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Mr. Paulson, Yea I agree with you. I only put the scope on because my old eyes have a problem focusing on the iron sights... The Bavarian stock is more suited to iron sights...I agree

5. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Icebear,
    Thanks for compliments. Indeed, it is A Zeiss Conquest 1-4X with a 30mm tube. The extra low rings only drop the scope centerline by 2mm...
    With regards to scope compression on the lens. That is not a concern, there is the plastic spherical bushing. And, I'm sure Zeiss compensated for thermal contraction due to extreme cold, so a slight

Mike

6. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    You are comparing Opti-Lok heights. The Leupold lows are much lower. Night & day difference. ALL Opti-lok base/rings are way to high, too heavy. & too clunky, IMHO. I don't recommend them for any scope mounting, but to each his own.

7. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Mr. Paulson,
    Does Leopold offer mounts for Sako tapered dovetails?

8. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Absolutely and in a wide variety of heights from low to extra high.

rick

sraaw likes this.
  9. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Leupold offers one piece ringmounts that clamp directly to the front & rear dovetails that need no "bases" & are lighter, more streamlined & in more appropriate & useful heights for both 1" & 30mm scope tubes. The Opti-Loks are a Beretta abomination of what a Sako scope mount should be @ twice the price & weight of the Leupold ringmounts. Just my humble opinion. Others may disagree.

Bernie’s Dad and sraaw like this.