What’s wrong with this picture

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by Old Hippie, May 11, 2021.

1. tilleyman

tilleyman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Don't forget the original Australian Hillver/Lynx and Ausinel mounts... no screws to the top of the receiver dovetail!
    I always thought Ausinel a bit better designed and finished, they made windage adjustable Sako mounts that are similar in operation to the Leupold with a swivel front base and adjustable rear via set screws on each side.
    Ausinel Sako mounts.JPG

Ausinel Sako mounts 2.JPG

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Old Hippie likes this.

2. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I couldn't think of the Hillver/Lynx name when I was writing my post. As I understand it, the Hillver and Tasco mounts were basically the same thing. Ausinel is a new name to me. The Hillver/Lynx/Tasco mounts, or a version thereof, were later produced in Australia under the Sako name. I do not know who the actual manufacturer was. They are similar to the Optilocks but in my opinion a superior design, as they are adjustable for windage and much easier to align. I have a set, which I have used on a couple of different A-series rifles.
    Early Optilok 1.JPG

gowyo, Old Hippie and tilleyman like this.
  3. tilleyman

tilleyman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Lnyx Optics are still in business!
    Agree their stud mount system is very solid and easily adjustable... L series dovetails are often a bit offset to the receiver's centre line, making windage adjustable mounts desirable.
    They still make the standard and extended reach bases for Sako L461, L579 and L61R... not cheap these days but at least available:
    http://www.lynxoptics.com.au/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=106_114_138&product_id=376
    http://www.lynxoptics.com.au/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=106_114_138&product_id=375
    Ringmounts:
    http://www.lynxoptics.com.au/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=106_152_156

Can update existing stud bases with new rings in a range of heights and 1" 30mm and 34mm diameters:
    http://www.lynxoptics.com.au/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=106_113

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    icebear likes this.
  4. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Hey now, these are definitely what’s right with the picture. I have never heard of these before. (Which is not at all surprising)
    They do highly resemble the Opti-loc.
    Cool! Thanks for the links!

Hippie

tilleyman likes this.
  5. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    A bit pricey, but it's a pity Lynx doesn't have a US importer. Thanks for posting.

tilleyman likes this.
  6. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Those are what came with my .338. They market these as their low rings- 7.6mm/ .300" base to scope tube. I think they're too high for the Leupold 2.5x8 varix III I put on it.
    20210720_231043.jpg

7. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Agree. I have used the same set of rings for a 3.5-10x VXIII with a 40mm AO objective and they are about right. The 2.5-8x with its 36mm objective doesn't need to be that high.

8. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Yup! Sakohaulic!
    When we carry on conversation with a L579 on the way home, we are definitely stricken!
    I have a coffee can with several aluminum slabs of these abominations. Funny also because I too, remove them as soon as I get the gun home, crossing fingers, and yes, talking calmly and assuringly to the rifle while removing them! When they come off and reveal that there is no damage, I feel like we both are relieved…

Hippie

bigcountry4me likes this.
  9. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    They can frequently be found on eBay, often not properly identified. Look for the opposing set screws on the sides of the rings to distinguish them from Optilocks.

Old Hippie likes this.
  10. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Good morning all!
    It’s Monday morning and the sun is shining! Let’s start the day with something different?
    8844EF3B-F73E-495F-A8C3-8248019773C9.jpeg

Finally, someone has figured out what to do with that hole in the bolt handle of our prized L46 De Lux!

This fascinating example of Sako WTFness recently sold for $2k, complete with cracked stock and no front sight. It also had the forward slanting rosewood accent and checkering, I assume it bore the diamond juniper cap inlay , unless it was dug out and replaced with a Buffalo Nickel?

Enjoy!

bloo

11. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    And a hazardous trigger shoe to boot getting too close to the trigger guard edge.

12. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Trigger shoes , or in this case, Trigger boots, have a seemingly popular timeline or fad period. I see them often on late 50’s early 60’s rifles. I have one 579 that came with one. It’s proper and functional I suppose. Gives the gun a kinda Olin period M70 feel, heavy on the kinda. I left it there to cover the little rings that the set screws blessed it with…bloo

13. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I’ve got a free trigger shoe for any member wishing to own one. Came off an L579. Qualifier : you must also willingly accept weaver bases to fit Sako dovetails, set screws intact. No exceptions……

14. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Outside of competitive use I feel trigger shoes can be quite dangerous as being at the edge of the trigger guard exposes clothing & casual contact to cause unintended discharges. I know of 1 fellow that was putting his rifle in a deer hoof gun rack that contact caused his death from a gut shot glance. (Note, safety issue as it would not always engage & stupidity in having a chambered round… a weatherby). Cold & gloves can contribute as well.

sakojim likes this.
  15. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Reminds me of the Remington Model 14 which my son inherited that came from my wife's grandfather's store. The cartridge head is kinda neat on the receiver of the old Model 14 -- maybe not so much wedged in the bolt knob of a Sako.

16. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    I can definitely understand the dangers of having the shoe even with or extending outside of the guard. Makes absolute sense. I always check my rifles and hand guns repeatedly to confirm they are clear and safe when I bring them home. But I also have seen times afield when I have noticed that my safety is off , because I left it off the last time I raised it to my shoulder to take a shot or be prepared to if so desired, and then going on with my hunting and overlooking the responsibility of returning the gun to safety as I move on. Usually I feel it or visually realize it later on, and immediately correct my oversight. Safety first , safety last, lucky in between.

bloo

17. Chrisss31

Chrisss31 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    They were kind enough to use a live primer to aid in getting the shell out of the bolt handle...

18. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Yep…I noticed that as well. Maybe the owner can draw straws with his gun buddies to see who gets to pop it out! One of those “okay! hold my beer” moments!

bloo