• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

What Do You Think of This L57 .243 at Cabelas

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

sakotex

Hey Guys:
Here's an L57 in 243 at Cabelas in WV. I'm having it transfered to TX so I can look at it. I would appreciate any comments on the rifle and its price. Cabela's says the only issues are missing front sight hood, and the dovetail scope bases have been drilled and tapped. I'm a shooter, not a collector but don't want to pay more than the rifle is worth. It also looks like a trigger shoe was added. Thanks in advance. Bill.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/c...91712_sakoriihim_whe.jsp?categoryId=SEARCH_gl

sakotex,
Looks to be a decent piece. Some will scoff at the tap and drilling. Front sight hoods are sometimes hard to find, but I see you have a few posts, so know one may come up here on the forum. My take on the price is that it is a little high. Can you find out the serial number or did I miss that? It's all about what you like and are willing to pay. I shoot a couple rifles with trigger shoes. That's not a distractor. I'm sure most of us have over-paid for one here and there because we just couldn't live without it. :bigsmile3:
Good Luck,
S-A

That price is high, like about 3-400.00 high with a drilled receiver. It better be a shooter since it will be shunned by serious collectors. There are shooter quality L579's on GB all the time that go for 550-700.00, with no holes in them in original configuration. I know there are guys asking a grand for their L579's on GB, just none with a bid on it.

sakotex,
When I see something online, Gun Broker, et. al., I always call the seller and 90% of the time they will deal with you. You can usually figure the asking price, or buy it now price is way high. Go see it with the comments you get here in mind, then make an offer you can live with. It costs them money to ship it from store to store and they most like will be glad to get rid of it. FWIW
S-A

From past experience with Cabelas, they will deal with you if the gun is at their store but if you have it shipped to another store to take a look at it, the price is firm. You may have to walk from it and let it sit in the store for a few weeks then make an offer.

However, you never know unless you ask.

Thanks for the responses guys.
S-A- I have a spare sight hood. I didn't know there are serial number issues with the L57, so I didn't ask. It's 6612. I certainly hope the informed comments here will give me some negotiating leverage if I like the rifle.
cmjr- I already have a nice L579 243. I want to add a nice L57 if I can find one. I thought this one might be a candidate for me to look at with the guidance I get here..
Again, thanks.
Bill.

emmerth- If I negotiate with WV and purchase the rifle and then don't like it, aren't I stuck with the rifle? Bill.

tex,

I don't know but it is worth asking. Let us know what they say. I dont see how they could force you to buy it if you do not want it???

Good luck

sakotex,
Ask them for a 3 day inspection period like most reputable dealers on Gun Broker and such. I never get a gun without it.
S-A

Ok Guys- What's the maximum I should pay for this L57 based on what you can see and this discussion thread? Bill.

The prices at Cabelas are usually high and would be the case for this rifle. They believe in very hefty mark-ups. I personally sold them a Diamond Grade Winchester skeet gun for $750 and saw it the next week in their Gun Room priced at $1200. (I'd originally paid a gun dealer $850 for the gun about a year or two prior.)

Those trigger shoes generally come off with a couple of allen screws.

For what it is worth, a couple years ago I paid around $400 for an L579 but it had an aftermarket stock and barrel. The stock was 1970's Weatherby inspired (in other words, ugly) and that kept the price reasonable. The action and barrel were in very good condition. I am a shooter, not a collector and I bought it for the action as I make my own stocks - wood, of course.

wburket- Thanks for the good advice. Here;s an off-the-wall question since you shape your own stocks...is it possible to take a Fajen sporter stock and reshape it to an early L461? It seems like there is enough wood to work with Bill..

Bill -

I've gotta agree with Cmjr on the devalueing of the drilled receiver. Think a thousand bucks for that rifle undrilled would be a little high. Dunno, I'd think $7-750 would be a decent buy. As stated above, you might have to let it gather dust there for a while and take the chance of someone else getting it.

Best luck, Dick

Thanks Dick. S-A asked about the serial number but no one commented on it after I reported it--#6612. Does that mean that it has no bearing on the value of this L57? Bill.

S-A- What is the range of numbers comprising L57 production during its life (1957 until 1961?)? I apologize for all the questions and I appreciate the patience and assistance from you and all the other club members who have taken time to answer and explain. Bill.

sakotex
I would think you want the range by caliber, which is being worked on, as will also indicate total range of all L57's,
We have a database of a known L57 .243. The first one listed is number 1741 dated 2/5/58
The second is: 5519 on 8/29/59 Yours being a tad higher at 6612 I'd say around mid 1960.
Hey, it's 50 years old to me. That's why us admins and the founder are putting the emphasis on the hang tag data now - by caliber. It will be much more accurate the more people cooperate with information
S-A

Back