What rifles other than sako's do you hunt with?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by topgear, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Just canted as sitting on a small sandbag I use and having trouble lining up I-phone to focus on the reticle. Had these reticles retrofitted by Premier Reticle before their discord with Leupold. Leupold will not use this thinner post style that is more accurate than the heavier German Post. I believe Redfield used to use one very close to this one and there is an outfit in Montana that reconditions them. I've been meaning to call them to see if they can change out basic crosshair reticles for this style. I like it because I find it faster to get on target and no distraction with a top vertical line, as well as easier to follow a moving target.

2. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    what I meant to say is that the reticle is level and the angle in the photo is due to the rifle sitting on a sandbag and my difficulty in focusing moved the rifle slightly to a left angle

3. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    I've killed many Whitetail with my Steyr Mannlicher Model L .243. My dad also used it to kill a cow moose. I've bought a couple xp-100 custom shop specialty pistols in 250 savage and 7-08. I've taken two antelope with the .250 and I packed the 7-08 on my sheep hunt, but ended up taking my ram with my AV 7mm rem mag.

4. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Why use non-Sako rifles? First of all, I do not lend my Sako's and I supply the Ranch rifles and ammunition but for hunting a specific magnificent animal then rely on a Sako as a tribute and respect for that hunt. Last trophy was 8 Season Harvest tally.JPG with a Sako .300 H&H with a traditional fixed power scope. With a high volume harvest we defer to inexpensive Remington rifles that are effectively tools that are carried in canvas bags, and cleaned weekly. Walk in cooler harvest for about 5 days by myself and 2 ranch hunters, with hogs a target rich environment. Ranch walk in cooler.jpg

5. Josey

Josey Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maine
    My other hunting rifle is a browning mountain ti bolt in winchester 325 short magnum I love it

6. ohiochuck

ohiochuck Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Other rifles or combination guns I use
    Merkel combination 16b/9.3X72R for Ohio deer and custom Winchester 52C for squirrels
    Both are retirement gifts to myself
    It is always best my wife does not know:):)
    Jim
    Merkel302ComboSet 10.jpg win 52 custom 6.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    FLT, icebear and Spaher like this.
  7. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    What a beautiful pair of guns! The wood on that 52 is fantastic. The Merkel reminds me of my Robert Schräder O/U hammer gun, in 8x57R/360. I don't hunt much any more, but either combination gun would be ideal for javelina - the rifle barrel for a normal shot and the shotgun in case one got too close. The 8x57R/360 is unrelated to the well-known 8x57 Mauser caliber; as I understand it, the case is a shortened and necked-down version of the 9.3x732R. The round was designed to approximate the performance of the English .360 BPE, later updated for nitro powders. It's about equivalent to a .38-55 or a 7.62x39 in muzzle energy. Bullet is 196-grain, .318 diameter.
    Right Side.JPG Tang Sight.JPG

8. waterwolf

waterwolf Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    Mannlicher-Schœnauer Model 1956 w/1.5-6X40 B. Nickel (Germany) scope in Steyr factory claw mounts. 30-06 Calibre.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    icebear likes this.
  9. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Nice one. Interesting to see the caliber stamped on the receiver ring rather than the barrel. First time I'd noticed that on a Mannlicher-Schoenauer. I don't recall any other manufacturers that do that.

10. waterwolf

waterwolf Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    I think they stamped it there because the rotary magazine, feeding ramp, etc. are machined to only fit the 30-06, no other cartridge. Feeding is very smooth. However, since the model 1956, unlike earlier pre-war M-S models, was made for several different cartridges, each with its own rotary magazine, it was necessary to distinguish between them. (For instance, it wasn't necessary for a M-S model 1910 to have the cartridge stamped on the receiver because it only came from the factory in one caliber: 9.5x56mm.)

The Mannlicher-Schoenauer Model 1956 was one of the last of the true factory hand-fitted rifles. On this one, all parts, including the guard screws, have matching serial numbers stamped on them. And the numbered parts on a Mannlicher-Schoenauer will not always swap with the very same part from another rifle of the very same model. For instance, in my experience, trigger swaps (single for DST or vice-versa) on even late model M-S are not always easy. The triggers themselves will swap easily enough, but the trigger plate that fits inside the guard must also be changed and that contains the threaded hole for the trigger guard to turn into. These threads are hand cut to match one another and are timed to allow the trigger guard to align correctly when tight. They will not always work with a part from another rifle. It all depends on how good you expect the fit to be and how satisfied you can be with a less than perfect fit. That said, any part can always be remachined or otherwise altered to fit, but it will likely be a lot more work than one is used to doing on a Mauser-type rifle.

The only alteration I did on this rifle was to remove the white line spacers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021