What year is my L579 Forester?

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by FinnHunter87, Jan 14, 2021.

1. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    There are no records available to determine the exact production date, but my best guess would be sometime after 1985, but before 1990.

Josey likes this.

2. Josey

Josey Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maine
    Ty that was very helpful

3. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Probably guys whose experience is with lesser rifles, or maybe they've been reading too many gun magazines. In either case, some people just assume that the factory trigger on a rifle is no good and put in a Timney or whatever. This was probably more common several years ago when a lot of factory triggers were made intentionally lousy at the behest of corporate lawyers, who were afraid of liability suits if a gun with a trigger that you or I could live with were to be involved in an accidental or premature discharge. Ruger used to be notorious for this, although I understand the newer ones are OK. I've reworked or replaced a number of Ruger triggers over the years. Ruger used to offer an inexpensive rebluing service. I once made the mistake of sending them a Ruger .22 pistol with a very nice trigger job on it. It came back with beautiful bluing and a Godawful heavy, creepy, gritty trigger pull. I called them and they said that every gun that passed through their shop had to be adjusted to "factory specifications." Needless to say I've never sent a gun to Ruger for repair since then, and I've bought very few Rugers, period. All of my 10/22's and Mini-14's required trigger work; the single action revolvers have been OK once I installed Wolff springs. I had to change the springs and clean up the trigger pull on my Security-Six.

Now that you've got the Timney, I'd keep it and correct the inletting. It's an excellent trigger, just as good as the original Sako - no reason to spend time and money to replace it.

FinnHunter87 likes this.
  4. Josey

Josey Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maine
  5. Josey

Josey Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maine
    Havnt shot it but hoping this old man made a good choice

6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    BTW, AV (A roman numeral 5) is the model & not part of the serial number.

7. Josey

Josey Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maine
    Ok ty

8. FinnHunter87

FinnHunter87 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Yeah, you're dead on there.. this sadly looks as it was a home "Gunsmith" who has actually inflicted more damage then good to this gun, I am seeing now that he had to grind the back of the trigger from hitting the trigger guard. Bought online so it was kind of a gamble for me, this is the second rifle I have had with a Timney. I just can't seem to get them to brake like the original Sako/Tikka ones. My friend has a 77/22 hornet with one of those triggers you are describing, not adjustable either. I think he changed a spring to bring it up to acceptable standards.

9. FinnHunter87

FinnHunter87 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Thank you, I will look into them!

10. FinnHunter87

FinnHunter87 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    I sent an email out to Roger, I see 2 different types that people claim to fit the l579 action on has a flat tension bolt, the other is on a 20 degree taper. Do you happen to have a pic of the original trigger for my 1964 action? Thanks!