Who makes bases for Sako dovetails to suit standard ring sets?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sako parts' started by piper235b, Feb 12, 2014.

1. piper235b

piper235b Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I was told today Burris no longer make bases to suit Sako dovetails.
    I have a lot of standard type ring sets so I'm looking for bases to suit.

Who else makes bases?

Thanks
    Piper

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Redfield makes or used to make bases similar to the Burris bases for turn-in (Redfield-type) rings. There are always plenty of them for sale on eBay.

3. cmjr

cmjr Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    For a long time I could buy the Redfields at Brownells but about 2 years ago I got a email regarding a backorder. Basically stated that the manufacturer had discontinued the set and I've not seen any retailer list them since. As mentioned you find them on the used market with old sets having the set screw in the middle and newer styles without.

4. safari1

safari1 Active Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    My old Sako mannlicher style in 243Win had Weaver bases installed over the dovetails. They were held in place by a set screw. They accepted standard Weaver ringsI replaced that with Sako rings. But the Weaver system did work OK. Might be able to get you the part numbers if you want.

5. Roger

Roger Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    REDFIELD two piece, beautiful, polished blued steel,. Easy to install. LMaybe on E bay for
    $35
    Long Action: 5i2016
    Short Action:512015

6. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Beretta sells Sako/Tikka factory rings & bases.

Brownell's has Spuhr also.

7. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Seven year old thread.......

8. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Old thread perhaps, but putting new Sako Optilock bases on an older action doesn’t work. Everything fits well except it points the scope five feet to the left at 100 yards. No idea why but using older Redfield SDT bases with Burris Turn-in rings worked perfectly.

David

9. James Leeper

James Leeper Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    My L579 .243 has a set of Conetrol bases and rings. The bases fit the tapered dove tail. They seem to work very well and look good. I bought this rifle used in the 80s with this scope set up. Serial # is 104,XXX and it is not marked Bofors steel on barrel. I'm guessing this rifle was built right around the time Garcia took over as importer. It could have been either FI or Garcia.
    Have a great day.
    Jim

10. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Just saw this and thought I'd post an answer, although the post is a month old. There is a proliferation of Optilock bases for various Sako models. Each base is specific to a certain model or models, and if you get the wrong one, it won't work. Fit is marked on the box, but if you get the bases without the original box, you don't know what you've got (stock numbers are stamped on the bases; you have to go to the website to correlate them with what they fit). There's even some difference in the older models in the Redfield, Conetrol, and other full-coverage bases. There is one set of bases for L46/L461 and L57/L579 rifles, and a different set for the L61R. They are not interchangeable. Best to stick with original Sako windage adjustable rings on an older Sako, or Redfield, Conetrol, or Warne if you're sure you're getting the right version.

11. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Actually, they can be interchanged to a degree. The "short" set fits the long actions just fine, it's just that the rear base doesn't extend as far forward on the action, This limits how far forward the scope can be set which may or may not be a problem depending on the particular scope.

The Redfield bases for the long action actually place the front ring out over the ejection port. This base will fit the shorter actions but it puts the front ring way out over the ejection port. Although it doesn't give an appealing appearance it will work securely.

There are two different styles of "Redfield" (and Burris) Sako bases on the front base. One has the ring dovetail on the forward portion of the base while the other has the ring dovetail on the rearward portion of the base. The latter is much better for the long action Sakos since it allows a wider latitude of scope positioning.

icebear likes this.
  12. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I did buy my Optilocks new and used the correct type per the fit charts and still had problems.

David

13. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    That doesn't say much for Beretta/Sako, does it? And that's not the first time I've seen that particular complaint.

dgeesaman likes this.
  14. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Here's a photo I came across of a Redfield base for a long action placed on an L579/AII action. As you can see, the rear base and ring hang out over the loading port somewhat awkwardly. It works, but leaves something to be desired in the way of aesthetics.

pix202208762.jpg

15. ricosheawabbit

ricosheawabbit Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Just bought a set of Burris bases and rings for my L 571. I called Burris to make sure they still made them and they did as of April 2021. They are 1" Signature Zee rings with plastic inserts #420520 Medium hi gloss rings. The bases slide on the dovetail slots on the receiver. Base # is 410635. it's a two piece base. They have an allen screw in the middle but you don't need it. Recoil will tighten up the bases and hold them in place. I have locktited the screws in place without touching the action so they wont come loose or mar the top of the action. I am switching all my rifles to this system. I have completed two so far and love them. Using the Burris ring insert assortment I can come very close to zeroing the scope without touching the internal adjustments. The inserts come in a set of + and - zero, 5, 10 and 20 thousands. The Burris web site has a video showing exactly how they work .

16. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I'm surprised that Burris is still putting a set screw on those bases. Later Redfield and Burris bases were usually found without the unnecessary (and abusable) set screw. Loctite-ing the retracted set screws in place is a good solution. Alternatively, some people advocate putting a small piece of lead shot under them to keep them from scarring the dovetails.

17. ricosheawabbit

ricosheawabbit Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    The lead shot never occurred to me. That's also a good idea
    Thanks

18. Putorius

Putorius Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Sako (Beretta) makes the best bases for Sako. I have (had) Opti-Loc, and now use two piece and the new one piece on 375 on down, 1" and 30 mm. I have ditched all the Opti-Loc and Leupold bases. Set these rings side by side and you will readily see the difference. Sako rings are solid. The vertical split ring mounts are difficult to mount, align and adjust. Horizontal split rings allow much easier scope mounting and you can use a steel rod first to set alignment instead of your scope. Sako rings also use the engineering-plastic inner one-piece ring that is very similar to the Burris two-piece ring.

Last edited: May 2, 2021 at 4:59 AM