Whoa! 7x57 Finnbear Mannlicher

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by stonecreek, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Hillcountry

Hillcountry Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    I’ve named my most deadly rifle Ruger Model #1 in 7mm Mag (killed more deer than any other of my rifle) “Jezebel”

2. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Regarding the question about shooting it or not. Do whichever you enjoy, but don't plan on making any money as an investment. Lets be honest, if you paid $800 for some Sako 20 years ago, don't shoot it, and now its worth $1600....have you cut a fat hog? I don't think so, you may have kept up with inflation though.

If you like to name your toys, by all means name it.

Hillcountry likes this.
  3. Hillcountry

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  4. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Well, if I wind up with the rifle in question, I've got a box of ammo all ready for it. I am a collector/shooter, and I buy guns with the intention of shooting them. There are several guns in my collection that have never been fired, but that's just because I haven't gotten around to shooting them. I'm skeptical that leaving a hunting rifle, even a nice collectible one like a rare Sako, unfired really adds all that much value as opposed to a gun that is well kept and fired occasionally.

The one area I know where unfired is a big deal is the Colt SAA. Collectors make a big thing of guns with no turn marks on the cylinder. I'll take one that's been fired for a few hundred less, thank you very much. I guess an unfired pre-64 Model 70 would also fetch a sizable premium, but that's one of the reasons I don't collect the Model 70.

5. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Whoever gets it I hope you save enough in your budget to buy a $300 front sight Hood from the custom shop...;)

6. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    If it is an AV, it probably takes a cheap Williams sight hood. The AIII and AV Mannlichers typically had Williams front and rear sights, for instance my AIII in .30-06. The earlier rifles based on the L61R action had the older-style setup with no rear sight and the Sako front sight and hood.

I might even have an extra Williams hood in my junk box.

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    When I see a rifle advertised as "unfired" I take it with a grain of salt. I know someone fired it at the factory -- at least they better have. Sako used to advertise that it fired all of its rifles with a proof load at 60,000 CUP - probably in the area of 70,000+ PSI using today's piezo-electric pressure machines. And the fine Kimber of Oregon rifles came with a three-shot proof target.

In the end, it is impossible to tell whether a gun has never had another cartridge in the chamber or if someone has put a half-box down the tube checking out how it shoots. The condition of a gun speaks for itself.

icebear likes this.
  8. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Amen, Brother.

9. Hillcountry

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    any update on the:

7x57 Finnbear Mannlicher

10. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    I learned that my facebook link may not work. Here is a pic of of the Cabela's AV 7x57 fullstock carbine. It may or may not be the same gun as in this thread. Both in Tx, If I were a betting man... FB_IMG_1548988579051.jpg

11. Hillcountry

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    I would like to bid on that beauty! Thanks for the Pic gowyo

12. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I talked to the dealer this weekend. He says he is going to put it up on Gunbroker, probably starting this Sunday. He says "no reserve -- high bid gets it, period."

I'll post a link to it whenever it goes up.