• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Why all the Wood?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

It sure is a odd looking stock, should you ever find out why it was made would you please post the information ?

Thanks

I just like Mannlichers. Paired with a round nosed bullet, it just seems what belongs here in the dense cedar swamps of Michigan. On a practical side, the shorter gun when worn with a sling on the shoulder, doesn't knock snow off overhanging branches down my neck like some of the barrels without wood certainly would. Much more maneuverable in a treestand as well. That and way more sex appeal. My two cents.

I always figured the reason for full-stocked carbines was so they didn't look like 600 Remingtons, with only 6 inches or so of barrel out beyond the wood. Running the wood up to the muzzle just seems to look better. But Sako running lumber all the way up a 24" barrel is what mystifies me. I'd prefer not to have my .270 look like a Kentucky long rifle. Of course, to each his own.

Heck, the 600 Rem didn't come along till '64, so a relative new-comer. Sako and many others were building fullstocks long before that. It may be that Rem chose it's styling to set it's little runt apart from other carbines - don't know. Safe to say though that Sako's fullstocks were firmly established well before the 600 was a gleam in a Rem engineer's eye.

hayseed,

Have you ever shot a 350 Rem Mag Model 600? I assure you, it is no "runt".
face-grin.png

I have a 600 in 308 and 350. I can honestly say that I am not a big fan of how they shoot but I do like the looks. I have a L61R in .458 Win Mag and it does not kick as hard as the 350. Also, a word to wise, do not stand beside a 600 without proper ear protection.

Emmereth -

Sorry if I disparaged your 600s. Used the term runt only in relation to their being short. Yes, had both the 6.5 and 350 back in the day. Thought the dog leg bolt was the coolest thing going, and can remember using one of those flamethrowers as part of a fireworks display one 4th of July...

Dick

hayseed,

No apology needed... I was just given ya a hard time.
face-wink.png

I also like the dog leg bolt. Every so often I think about selling them and use the money to get more Sako's but then I change my mind. I guess there is a part of me that is attached to them. Maybe it is my shoulder.

Just out of curiosity, was/were the Mannlicher style Sako's chambered in 9.3x62? Seems like it would be a sweet combination.

Gents,

I agree. Somehow the 9.3 X 62 seems like an ideal chambering for a full-stock Sako. CZ chambers that caliber in their full stock rifles. Wouldn't that be great for the close quarters elk hunting in the coast mountains of Oregon?

Wes

Re: "Sako was and is the only company to mfg. a full-stock rifle that actually is not a full stock, but two separate pieces."
Not true. You say you've owned a Husqvarna fullstock rifle. Well, if you still have one, take a closer look...the stock is actually two pieces of wood.

....in my opinion and in modern sporting arms, it is all about looks. There are/were alot of modern firearms companies that mfg'd rifles in full-stock configuration and did it for one reason: Looks. Sako was and is the only company to mfg. a full-stock rifle that actually is not a full stock, but two separate pieces. I am not just a collector of Sako Mannlichers but I own and have owned full-stock rifles mfg'd by Mannlicher Schoenauer, Mauser, Heym, Steyer, Winchester, Ruger, Harrington & Richardson, Husqvarna, Whitworth/Interarms, Musketeer, CZ, Brno, Smith & Wesson, Kimber and so on. .....

Mike! Never say never!!
Today I purchased a L61R rifle. I will use the action for an upcoming project of mine but I will be glad to set fire to the stock!
face-surprise.png

Or maybe use it as a tool for a gastro intestant survey of the Moron who destroyed it in the first place!!! From the wrong end!
face-wink.png

Put your sunshades on! ItxB4s ugly!
Jim

Jees, I thought the stock looked kind of cool from what I could see, and I don't normally like customs. Is the stock in bad shape or something? Poorly done? Well, my taste in things (especially clothes) is a little 'up and down'.

Hey douglastwo where can someone get a look at this Rock Island's catalog for the November 18, 19 and 20, 1996 I am interested, - *******

Edd, call RIA at 309-797-1500 and ask if they still have it available. I've heard they sometimes have the old catalogs. If they don't, PM me your mailing address and I'll make a copy of the sako pages and send them to you. the quality should be good enough to see what you're lokingg for.
Don

Robinpeck is correct. The 70th Anniversary pictured above is a two piece stocked Mannlicher (as they all are). Sorry. Just the wood is matched better so it looks like its the same piece of wood. Full stock does not mean one piece of wood from bow to stern. Just the appearance of such.

There are aftermarket companies that make a full wood stock (i.e., not two pieces), but few and far between. I've seen them advertised some time ago but can't remember any of the particulars.

S-A

Last edited:
Edd, I believe the pages were posted here on the site a year or so ago, but I don't have a clue how to find them now. Maybe one of our admin. can tell you how to look them up.
Don

Don,

Lefora still had a lot of our data and was going to leave it on for public access but no means for us to grab it. Jim has been working on getting this stuff over to this site so it is not lost to us. I think it's interesting that posts from a few years back seem to go in cycles, but for those who who want to dig a little, I think the consistency of the forum is proven true.

S-A

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back