• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Barrel Why Fouling Shots ?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello fellow Sako fans.
9/13/2021 Went to the farm Monday to test theory about alcohol flushing barrerls after solvent cleaning & oil residue. Bernie's Dad can now relax & I hope his dog finishes the popcorn!

First, 30/06 AV results: previous outing had finish shot-- 3/16" left, 1-7/8 high. After cleaning & light coat of oil, barrel was swabbed several times & dried with 91% alcohol. Load was 168 Gr. bullet @ 2,600, FPS.
1st shot, 1- 1/8" left, 3/4"high.
2nd shot, 1" left, 3/4" high.
3rd shot, 1/2" left, 1-1/2" high.
Close to finishing shot @ previous outing. Results similar to findings of several other members results. Fouling shots high-and to the left. Barrel was cooled between shots 5-15 minutes.
Next, switched to 125 GR. Nosler Boat tails for deer hunting, as no need for 168 grain heavier bullet for deer size animals.
To my amazement shots 1 & 2 were 6 + inches high on the target frame.
load was 125 gr. bullet @ 3,o70 FPS. moved 20 clicks down.
3rd shot: 3" high, 2-7/8" left.
4th shot: Bulls eye ring, 3/4" Rt. of center line.
5 & 6 shot : touching @ 2" high & 7/8" right of center line.
7th. shot : 2" high on center line. Inconsistancy due to my older body!!!

Sako Forester, Previous outing last shot @ 100 yds, end of water bottle aprox. 2-3/4" dia. shot exploded bottle. Barrel cleaned as above.
1st. shot: 2" high- 1-1/8"" left.
2nd shot: touch first shot , 15/16" left.
3rd shot: 1-1/4" high, 1/4" left.
4th shot: 1 " high, 2" left.
5th shot: bulls eye 1/8" right of center line, Again inconstancy me!!
Note: Barrel was cooled aprox. 1 hr + in A/C prior to shot #5, shows close to previous outing results.

Final results, seem to prove various types of alcohol, best used for cleaning
external or internal parts with varing kinds of results & that fouling shots are required no matter how much alcohol is used internally or externally and shots usually impact high & left after cleaning. I will try later to send pics of targets, computer & smart phone challanged!!
I have a flip phone. Note: Pics. A & previous outing & 1st 30/06 targets. B & C = 125 gr. 30/06 & .243 targets. Don't know how I got the pics in thread ??? B/T

Attachments

• IMG_5894.jpg
    IMG_5894.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5893.jpg
    IMG_5893.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
So, sight in your rifle in the fall and don’t clean it until after the season. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right. That’s also what I do. I have four chosen rifles (different calibers-different game-different terrain) sighted and ready for the various big game hunts from the end of this month till the end of November. The only caveat is if a rifle is exposed to bad elements such as a downpour or worse. Obviously then I’d completely dry it out in the wall tent, wipe it down and address the bore. Doesn’t happen often, but it has, so I have options (back-up) until I can shoot that specific rifle to re-check POI.

Thanks for the feed-back all,
Went to farm & took one shot with each Sako.@ 100 yds. AV shot 1-1/2" high & 3/8" Rt. of centerline, within 1/2" hi & 1/2" Rt. of finish shot last outing.
.243 Forester shot: 1-1/4" high & 5/16" Rt. of centerline. Can't remember if I adjusted elevation when I got home after last outing, didn't write it down! ( was considering it)
Allow me to digress please: Did I read in a prior post that Deluxe Forester .308 rifles had a waffel butt pad? I understand that Not all Sako rifles are exactly alike. But a .308 with a solid red butt pad could it be not original?? Would this indicate a replacement?? just wondering?? B/T

Update!
Spoke with a U.S.Army sniper Ranger) over the Christmas holidays. He told me that the fouling shots fill the rough spots in the bore after cleaning & it is the carbon etc. residue that slicks up the bore delivering accuracy. Shot rifles yesterday & got touching holes 2-1/2 " high & 1/8" left, Sako AV 100 yds with 125 gr. Nosler Bal. Tip, and 2-1/2 high, dead center Wby. MK V same load same cal. different casing.Cold barrel shots.
B/T

Back