1. Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim
    Dismiss Notice

witch ppc usa to buy

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by mitchell johnson, Jul 19, 2022.

1. mitchell johnson

mitchell johnson Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    22ppc usa or 6mm ppc usa in a sako factory rifle for prarie dogs witch ont to buy and why thank you

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    WHICH one you get depends on WHICH one you like the best. Personally, I don't think either would be a good choice for PD shooting, but that's just me. Good luck!

Wayne likes this.
  3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Having shot everything at prairie dogs from .22 long rifle to .25-06 I tend to go with the smaller bores these days. The 6mm's may have some advantage with wind drift, but doping the wind is part of the game. I do most of my shooting with a .20 Vartarg and a .221 Fireball these days. The last time I went we also took along my Sako 6mm PPC sporter and it did fine, but I would prefer the .22 PPC to the larger bore.

But since it appears you are seeking advice as to what to buy, then I'll add that, despite the hype, there is nothing about the PPC cartridges which make them inherently more accurate than other rounds. If looking for a Sako to take prairie dog shooting I'd probably watch for a nice L461 in .222 -- which is pretty common in the used market. The .222 will give you all of the velocity and range you need, you can buy it for less money than a PPC chambering, and its smaller case capacity burns less powder, heats the barrel slower, offers a little less recoil, and a tad less report. You can load a plastic tipped 40 grain bullet to 3500 fps or over, which makes it a real bomb on prairie dogs.

None of this is to say that there is anything wrong with the PPC's, so if your heart is set on one, go for it.

4. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Well.....I have a factory Sako 22PPC-BR single-shot, on which I mounted a Leupold 6.5-20xAO with target turrets.

It shot the 40Vmax at 3900fps.......and worked very well on PD's.

(Edit: now if I can only find a picture)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    gowyo likes this.
  5. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    I have the same set-up Kevin, and I still haven't shot it...something is wrong with me. Here it is prior to getting the Leupold. FB_IMG_1609718813008.jpg

kevinlg likes this.
  6. mitchell johnson

mitchell johnson Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    I Shoot prairie dogs with 20 tac and 20 vartarg a local shop owner has both a sako in 22ppc usa and a 6mm ppc usa at a great price just always looking for something a little difernt

7. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    buy both of them and figure it all out later !!! :)

DeerGoose

8. mitchell johnson

mitchell johnson Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    I was thinking of buying both and keeping one

stonecreek likes this.
  9. kevinlg

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    GoWyo........

I did find a picture.........well, at least it has a Sako BR stock.
    It's my 17-222 L461 single-shot........out in the PD fields(Ooops......I lied.....couldn't find "field" pic).
    There's something wrong with all of us......
    [​IMG]

10. mitchell johnson

mitchell johnson Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    I think i need to pass on the two ppc"s starting another cal is pricy they are in perfect condition and under 1100.00 each iff anyone is interested call Flash Point guns in Roscoe il at 815 270 1204 i have looked at them for 3 years someone please buy them.

11. mitchell johnson

mitchell johnson Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    wow the gun shop just called to tell me both ppc's are spoken for already good job thanks guys they had no idea how rare they are

12. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    In that case you don't "need" another prairie dog gun . . . but we promise not to tell your wife that and will swear to her that unless you get a Sako in yet another caliber that you will be an abject failure and that such additional rifle is essential to your health and well being.

13. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Mitch, I emailed them for pix, should have called! Congrats to the buyer, post pix!!

Unclekax likes this.
  14. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Thanks Mitch for the heads up on these. But you should of landed one of them and probably both.

Both rifles are Varmint repeaters, unfired with the boxes and paperwork. :)

15. mitchell johnson

mitchell johnson Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Dont make me cry

16. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming

Definitely need pix!! I wasn't aware they even made these...wait, are these model 75's?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  17. kevinlg

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    gowyo......

I found the "field" pic........

[​IMG]

18. mitchell johnson

mitchell johnson Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    sweet days on the prarie my happy place

19. Webphut

Webphut Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    This is probably too late to chime in, but I was thinking .223 Remington with 3-9 or 4-12 scope. The mirage may impair your shooting past these magnifications. My 223 rem shoots a ragged hole with them nosler 40 grn bal tips.

mitchell johnson likes this.
  20. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    These are great guns for varminting but unless the rifle is already well worn, you will roast the barrel before long. The 22ppc will burn up even faster. It would be a shame to shoot out a really nice original Sako PPC.

So if you’re into high volume prairie dogging, might as well seek out one of these that’s already been rebarreled.

Some will disagree with my sentimentality but these same people will come around in 10-20 years saying “why can’t I find a good clean xxx anymore?” Well yes, they aren’t making any more of them, so that definitely happens.

Spaher, Wayne and paulsonconstruction like this.