• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Year and correct barrel?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Sakoslut

L579 with serial number 18156. But the weird things are the barrel markings and lack of the ones you'd normally see. It would seem to me to be rebarreled but I read that some of these early rifles were not marked with "Bofors Steel" or "Sako" or even "Made in Finland." This one has "CAL .243 WIN" on the right side of the barrel at the same level as the receiver markings, the top of the barrel near the receiver has a proof mark that is a 'P' inside a circle, and on the right side near the receiver are the numbers 61D.

Any ideas to what year this was made and if it could possibly be a factory barrel?

Sakoslut...what a handle!Welcome to the Club!! A sako rifle barrel that is 100% will have ,at least, a lionshead stamp and inspectors stamp. Sako supplied barrels at one time but these were plainly marked by the factory as well...I have a feeling you may have an early L579 made for Sears (JC Higgins). H&R also used Sako actions as did Colt and Marlin. These guns are regarded as well built and accurate rifles...Your rifle dates to the early '60s, from what I understand, the L579 was introduced in 1959 at ser # 10000.

Hopefully someone can chime in that can give you more info on your proof marks and possibly give you more insight on your barrel and its maker.~Bloo

PS>>> This rifle comes to mind>>> http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=29004030 ...This poor thing has been up for so long, as long as I can remember. It has sold at least twice, and for whatever reason, ends back up on the block! I believe this one is a JC Higgins with a rubber pad added later

Last edited:
SS- Not that Bloo needs any validation, but I agree that that is not a Sako barrel. I watched an auction over the last few days, and, got the seller to give me better photos of just such a rifle. My guess on that one was a Herters L579 sporter. Not a bad little rifle but in need of someone to take it hunting before it rusted away.-Misako

SS-That may be it. The barrel reminds me of the L57 barrel on a Montgomey Wards L57 as did the stock. I was trusting the statement that it was all original so that was what it seemed to be. Those barrels were H and R made (I believe). If it doesn't have the Ward's name on it then my guess was Herter's. Have fun with it.-Misako

I was watching this action as well and acually bid on it but went over my max.
I emailed the seller and asked if there was any more makings on the barrel and he stated there was none.
I had an interrest in the action for a 358 build

The lack of markings is a telling feature on a sako rifle no older than the L57s or the L579s. Sako was always proud enough of their craftsmanship to warrant proper markings for their products. -Misako

Yes! Sako is proud enough of their craftsmanship and engineering to put their proofmarks and the Made in Finland stamp on everything....but, it should be known that companys that used sako actions and barreled actions, namely Colt, buffed away certain markings from rifles they put on the market. For instance, my Coltsman Custom uses a L46 action, but the word 'Riihimaki' and the lions head stamp are gone from the left side of the reciever, Colt did leave all the stamps and sako rollmarks (including the Bofors steel stamp) on the barrel and added the Colt Hartford rollmark to it...food for thought.~Bloo

Back