• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L46 .222

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

SAKORightSide.jpg

SAKOLeftSide.jpg

Hi everyone, I am very new here and came across this forum last night while researching information about the above pictured rifle. It is currently registered as a model L61R which is quite wrong as I found out on this site. It is a L46 .222 build in 1959. Can someone give me information about the 3 symbols after the serial number? Thanks. Greetings from Australia.

Sakogeorge- The first mark is the Finnish Lion. The other two ... someone else will have to help with- Regards, Mike

Thank you Mike that's one part solved.
Can someone put light on the remaining symbols? The "J...whatever" and the "M".
(A for sale add mentioned a "...rare M action...".)
Is this a "rare M action"?
What is different to the "normal" action?
Does anyone else has a L46 with these symbols?
Below are more close-ups.
I have worked out that BOFORS STEEL is the Swedish steel supplier and most/all SAKO rifles of this vintage should have this stamp. Right?
Would someone have a copy of the manual that came with this model?
Thanks for your time.
Regards
George
SAKO%20Action.jpg
SAKO%20Barrel.jpg

Hello George and welcome. I was also curious about the ad L46 .222 magnum 'rare M action'

I spoke to the seller and he said he was just refering to the fact that it was a true magnum action.

I was told that the early L46 .222 magnums had a longer opening in the bottom of the receiver to allow for the magnum length cartridge. Apparently no other discernible markings were present to distinguish it from the standard length action.

I thought I read somewhere that the 'JNT'? marking was a proof mark, as for the capital 'M' I am not sure.

Someone here will know.

Deersako- The M is mystery letter on this 222 (Not 222Mag.?) Sako made some adjustments using the bolt stop/ejector, on the L46, to accomodate the 222 Mag and then they went to a L469 action for it as the final solution prior to the L461 Action. As for the proof mark- that's always what it has been called. I still don't know what it stands for.- Regards, Mike

Thanks Mike, as far as the opening length in the bottom of the receiver for the .222 mag ? Is it any longer than the standard .222 rem. action ? This particular rifle was a mannlicher stocked version.

thanks Mike and Deersako,
the opening on my L46 is not big enough for a magnum. So the "M" is still a mystery.
regards
George

George- I assume you don't know exactly what the rifle is chambered for. Someone may have had it rechambered to the Mag and poorly marked it? -Mike

I've chewed on this thread for a day or so, and have some theories. Could be that they are both NT and MV's inspector's initials. The 'M' being a hand-stamp inspector initial. 1959 to the early '60s was the transition of Sako inspectors, but I'm not sure when. I can narrow this down a bit w/ my early rifles that I have hang tags for, but I'm not sure if I want to take on such a task. I've got the names of these guys somewhere in my notes, taken from the old Collector's Association newsletters or Arma Fennica, but I can't remember which. Will have to dig them up and add to this post. If this is true, it will be a Sako first for me.

Does this sound plausible, or do I need to go pound some sand ?

DeerGoose

Deergoose- Only 2 names come to mind. Russ Moure and M. Vanninen. The only "J" is the method of investment casting used by sako called the Jungerson method. The action at times was referred to as a short Mauser and the extractors were also referred to as Mauser. Nothing I have makes definitive sense.-Regards, Mike

Matti is his first name, and he did most of the rifles from about early 60s to mid '70s or so. Just a swag on the dates here. Finding the names will be a priority of mine tonight, so more to follow. thanks for the info, MiSako !

DeerGoose

Deergoose!!!

Now you've gone and done it! By dangling the dual juicy tidbits of possible info regarding the inspector's names, and when they might have been on the job, you've sentenced yourself to a big task... You might be able to put it off until after hunting season, but sooner or later you're gonna have to dig em out and compile those dates, as well as scrounge through info for the names of inspectors, buddy... Especially the change-over date would really be great for dating a rifle from back then.

Your theory of the dual inspection stamps sounds entirely reasonable to me.

ok, I'll attempt to strike while the iron is still hot. I'm still assuming that SakoGeorge has a common L46 Riihimaki in .222, located in Australia. Looks like 1959 or so is the born on date. It took me a few minutes, but I found all of this in the Appendix of Arma Fennica vol. 1, under the "Inspection of Finnish Weapons" section.

"....To correct this deficiency the Finnish Shooter's Association summoned the relevant parties on 5.4.1948 and the committee set up at the meeting formulated inspection regulations for firearms and ammunition...."

"...Rifles which have passed inspection and test shooting are marked as follows:.....[listed in table format]

2. Lion's head Barrel

5. Inspector's mark Barrel

9. Inspector's mark Receiver..."

"At the end of the 1970s new firearm inspection legislation was proposed in order that the Finnish arms and ammuniction industry might thereby become a member of C.I.P. (Commission Internationale Permanente) and thus avoid double inspection and inspection fees for firearms. The new inspection law came into force on 1.7.1983 and it follows the recommendation of the C.I.P."

Sako Inspectors listed in the "Names and Abbreviations for Finnish Firearms" section (also found in the Appendix):

" M.V. - Matti Vartia, a Sako gun inspector. Stamps on Sako guns."

"N.T. - Niilo Talvenheimo, a Sako gun inspector. Stamps on Sako guns."

"R.A. - Ralf Ahlgren, a Sako gun inspector. Stamp on Sako rifles."

I believe that the chronological order of inspectors is: NT, MV, RA, and SK, in which SK is not listed in the book. SakoGeorge's .222 was inspected by NT, and perhaps a half stamp for MV (first initial on the receiver, but no initial(s) on the barrel). Also note that the marking table states: "6. Manufacturer's name or mark Receiver", which we know that Sako never marked their receivers for Foresters and Finnbears, and didn't mark the barrels for L46s. Right?

As I write this, I've looked through some stored pics of my stuff, and have several L61Rs that have NT marks, so now I'm leaning towards a later cutover from Niilo to Matti. Now that I've managed to muddy the waters a bit for everyone, and confuse myself, I think I'll stop. But some of you may enjoy the info here.

Still not sure what the "M" is on SakoGeorge's rifle,

DeerGoose

I have a sako L46 Riihimaki .222 with the same stampings (including the mysterious M) and also live in Australia. The serial number of my gun is just under 51000 which from what I can tell puts it around 1960 or 1961 just before the L461 came out??

Sakofan

Boy, this is interesting. Two from Australia in the same general time frame - maybe the 'M' is some sort of Aussi inspection stamp then? Thanks Deergoose and Sakofan - suppose we should have started a new thread, but...

yep, must be something unique to Australia, or at the very least something that is non-American. Good stuff here, guys.

DeerGoose

I was wondering - was there any upgrades or modifications made to the later L46 rifles?? If so the M could perhaps stand for "modified" I am only guessing. I will ask a couple of people I know over here and see if they know anything. I have spoken to 2 professional "roo" shooters lately. Both recalled their fondness for the L46 and mentioned that they used 6 shot magazines (of course they sold them years ago). They had an idea that the 6 shot was developed specifically after requests by the professional roo shooting fraternity and was available to order. I know I am getting off the track here but thought it was interesting.

Thank you so much guys for all the contributions. I have learned a lot about this rifle over the last week.
The previous owner bought it in '76 and was quite surprised when I told him that it is over 50 yrs old. I am not a collector but will monitor this forum for an answer to the big "M". I only bought it because oppertunity knocked and I was playing with the thought of a Centre fire rifle for a while. It's great that I had the luck to get such a fine piece .
Now here is another oppertunity - a SAKO AV .338Mag (L61R) from '82 in virtually new condition is looking for a new owner.
Send a mail to [email protected] if you are interested.
Sakofan, you wouldn't have another spare front sight hood to fit the L46? Or anyone else???
Cheers
George

Back