• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L46 .222

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Thanks a ton KR and others! I learned something today on this thread, and that's always good and keeps the Sako juices flowing. Glad to see Pentti is still at the factory and doing well!

I rechecked Arma Fennica again tonight in the 'Inspections' section and receivers were also stamped with an "R" after a repair or modification was performed on the gun, and after a 2-shot firing test to verify the work. So we should look out for this as well, and maybe our Aussie friends can turn something up for all of us!

I also dug out some of my Firearms International catalogs, and sure enough, both the 1961 and 1962 catalogs show 12 groove barrels for the Finnbears. Yes, the Finnbear is catalogued in the 1961 publication. Didn't see anything on the L57 in the '58 and '59 catalog, but I really wasn't looking. If I uncover something, I'll post the info!

DeerGoose

Hello to all,
I will put my spoon to the soup, too...
Serial number (sn) around 51000 should be manufactured (m) 1960. as manufacturing 1959 ended to sn 42773 and 1960 ended to sn 54000.
L46 had four versions, I will describe only roughly the differences:
model 1: L42/46, m:1946

My .222 doesn't agree. Its SN is 56xx and it has a left-hand safety. The stock is walnut and is genuine Sako. Although there is no way to be absolutely assured that the stock is not a replacement, the stock certainly looks original and the barrel shows no sign of ever having had a barrel band. One thing that is certain, the action and barrel were clearly mated at the factory and the serial number is 1,400 lower than the first quoted serial number for a .222. I realize that the quoted information is from Arma Fenica, but I think my example illustrates that it is not entirely accurate (not to fault it or its author -- as we all know, it is very difficult to pin down Sako historical production precisely.)

HI Stonecreeck,
I agree with you, it it very difficult to include all related information to one less than half of a page in chart form. Like you proved, Sako made walnut stocks for the american markets.
Your Sako sn 56xx places it to year 1951 (sn 5101-7000).
both Model 2 and model 4 were in production 1951. To me, your Sako seems to fit better with model 4, that has the walnut stock, required for the american markets and no ring in forearm .
Model 2 with new safety on right and first .222 Rem were released at the
same time, beginning from the very same serial number 7033. This places the manufacturing to year 1952. (sn 7001-10800). Mod 2 with birch stock fits better for fits at least for finnish markets.
Model 4 became into production already 1951, sn 8026-9127.
The American Rifelman, October 1951/ Al Barr released an article of the new improved Sako rifles, concentrating to present the new .222 Rem rifle. I am now referring shortly to the finnish translation (AF p.133) of the article,as I have not the english original one. On this article author mentions as improvements that the previous unpleasant looking birch stock and clumsy trigger guard were replaced with walnut stock and more streamlined guard.
Removable peep sight is described and , Mannlicher stock (Model 3/long stock ) was availlable, accuracy was told to be "amazing", (half of the article is of accuracy of the gun and different loadings), price $117,70 mentioned.
On this otherwise so detailed whole page article, there is no mention of any changes on safety catch.
Following theory is of course my only, but perhaps they combined walnut stocks with few .222 Rem barrels and existing receivers with left hand safety thus having year 1951 Model 2 serial number 5xxx. to be able to present these desired new features.
Stonecreek, how does your riflexB4 s history correspond to the article in American Rifleman 10/1951?
Deergoose,
thank you of your notice of the R-stamp on barrel change! It is good point out this as it would easily cause confusement.
KR
PS. I would be interested of the copy of the American Rifleman October 1951, or a copy of article, if someone already has the magazine in his posession. Amazon had one fine copy on sale today (5$ only!) but could not purchase as the electric form do not accept finnish address and ZIP codes :-(. You guys in US, go and take it soon!

kr -
To corroborate Stonecreek's observation, I too have a 56XX L46 (in 218 Bee) with walnut stock, no forend band, and safety on the left. It's been in the family all its life, so I know it to be original as I have described it.
BSmith

Hi BSmith,
I share your view, these guns are authentic, it is more of how the guns are numbered against our current knowledge of diffrent variations.
I will try to find if sn 56xx receivers were used to rifles delivered with first walnut stocks.
BR-KR

KR: I also have a 7x33, SN 27xx, on which the receiver is marked "1946". It has a 23" barrel, walnut stock, and MANNLICHER full stock configuration. Where does it seem to fit in all of this?

Hi Stonecreek,
First full stocks were made 1947, only few pieces were made occasionally since then.
small series made 1952-1956, sn 7000-10800
SN 27xx would go to year 1948 (1948 sn 2401-4200) if mod 3 goes along with mod1 numbering, meaning your gun belongs to the few manufactured prior to still small series of 52-56, cool!
BR-KR

KR--

Thanks for the information. Let me first correct that the barrel is about 23.5", which I assume is either a 595 or 600 mm barrel.

I had assumed that the "1946" stamped on the receiver indicated its year of production. If I interpret your information correctly and my rifle was made in 1948, then is the "1946" stamp is simply something like identfying it as a "Model 1946", or L-46?

Incidentally, the actual markings on the left side of the receiver read like this from front to rear:

"Oy Sako Ab" over the word "Riihimaki" on the receiver ring (the gas port is drilled through the center of the word Riihimaki subtending the "i" between the "h" and the "m"). To the rear of this inscription is "No 27xx -1946" On the right side of the forward receiver ring in very small lettering is (in all capital letters) "MADE IN FINL AND". There is actually a space as I have represented nearly as wide as a letter between the "L" and "A" in "Finland".

KR, your information is fascinating -- please keep it coming!

Hi BeeSmith and Stonecreek!

Made a phone call to mr.Timo Hyytinen today of the 56xx series. In general, he told that there were always some manufactured parts of the numbered series that were not assembled at once.. These parts would be later to be used for certain caliber, depending of the need of current markets. He could not recall if this 56xx-series was before or later of the actual numbered series.

BR-KR

Makes sense!

I know it was certainly true with later production. I own and have seen several Finnbears in .25-06 which were produced much later than their serial numbers would indicate. Some of them are three-lug actions which came out of the factory well after the two-lug actions were already in production.

So, I'm going to guess that my 7x33 marked "1946" has a receiver made in 1946 but the finished rifle was not shipped until 1947-48?

Similarly, my .222 and B. Smith's .218 Bee may have receivers built a year or two prior to a finished rifle having been completed on them.

Yes, that looks like the most propable explanation.Propably made bigger lot of receivers marked 1946 and as the manufacturing of 7x33 beginned Sebtember 1946 the rest of them were used during following years.

BR-KR

Need some advice about relaoding for Sako .222 with 12 grooves standard barrel. Got this second hand rifle (serail 59335) recently and struggle to het groupings under 1 MOA at 100m. use CCI benchrest primers with SAKO cases. Sierra 50 gr SPT. After how many shots does the 12 groove start shooting badly? Read about the Marlin micro grooves that goes bust after 700 shots? Please help!

Well, my L461 of about the same era as yours has the 12-groove barrel and exhibits knife-edge accuracy. It shoots half-inch groups all day long using either H4895 or H335 propelling Speer 50 gr. TNT bullets. I can't feature the Sierra spitzer doing much differently. I can't say how many shots my .222 has had though it, but significantly more than 700 and I expect it to last longer than I do. In fact, I doubt being able to wear it out in normal usage.

There are about a dozen major causes of accuracy problems, and another hundred or two minor causes. I doubt that the number of grooves in your barrel is among them, although being a used gun it could have had some type of mistreatment (like severe fouling, or dampness resulting in corrosion, or the use of corrosive primers, etc.) An inspection of the bore should reveal a barrel problem.

When a gun won't group after inspecting the condition of the barrel and cleaning it to satisfaction, I start with the tension on the stock screws, check the crown at the muzzle, then start looking at the scope and mounts. Next is bedding. Trying a few different loads (including -- blasphemy warning -- factory loads) just to make sure there is not something screwy about my loads is advisable.

Maybe you've done some of these things. If so, let us know where you are in the process and maybe someone can make a useful suggestion.

my name is ron i just came across a L 46 SER # 23440 WITH NO BOLT WHERE can i get get one please help this gun is in very good shape

Hi Ron -

Bolts for L-46s come available once in a great while - hope you're not in a rush though. Not sure if you're aware of it but bolts carry at least the last three digits of the receiver s/n when fitted at the factory. While you may find 'a' bolt that functions (maybe with some fitting), it won't be 'the' bolt as far as collectable value goes...

I'd suggest you go to the main page of our Club (hit the forum button in the blue stripe at the top of the page), scroll down to the 'Wanted' catagory, and start a new thread there. As it is, your request is at the tail end of 3 pages... Makes it hard to find for somebody that might have a bolt for sale as time goes on...

Best of luck - you might keep an eye on Gunbroker also. Dick

Back