• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

P54 Just picked up a P54, who else has one

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Have not had shoot-off with grandson yet but couldn't resist trial fire at range. Went bang like it should with no problems with any ammo. However the last round in the magazine would not load. I imagine the spring may be getting a little weak. I was hoping someone may have disassembled one before and could give advice before I give it a try. Also my local gunshop thought a Savage magazine might fit. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I have read at a couple places that a lithgow magazine fits. Not sure how hard or easy those are to find.

Edit:
Here is a thread talking about it:
https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/sako-p54-mag.11596/

Nice thread about a lovely rifle.

I am waiting for mine ( had another one some years ago), it’a P54T for Target. But it is only marked P54.
It’s a HB but some person who didn’t know what he was doing removed the rear sight on the barrel which also has a cap on the from end of the barrel.

Over the many years of production there are several versions. First the regular “Sporter” version with slim barrel and ordinary open sights, tangent rear sight and a front sight ramp.

Then you could order it with the type of an adjustable peep sight seen in the first post and regular front sight ramp and probably in any other configuration?

Then came the P54T with no open sights at all nor any screw holes on the heavy barrel, another Target with the typical Sako open rear and front sight, then another Target with the typical rear peep sight and front sight plus yet another version like the one I’ve bought. It has a cap over the muzzle where you could mount and swap various competition “accessories”, i.e. various types of front open sights and barrel weights etc.

There were also other “competition” hardware you could order for you P54’s. The typical metal “hook” used as butt pad, An adjustable wooden ball on metal fittings used for competition shooting.

I have seen variations of all these and there are variations of early and later stocks too and as mentioned variations in markings of the barrels.

All in all a very nice little rifle with loads of character! The P46 that preceeded is a cool little thing but Sako came a long way in developing the P54 as it is completely different in build quality than the P46. Not that the P46 is bad but they were more crude and simple than the P54.

Nice to see an increase in interest of these beauties!!

Some pics of a few versions, from my soon defunct website: www.sakoparaphernalia.com

Jim

06C7E768-DD94-4EF8-8C93-A0CB5C73244F.jpeg 4F863E05-B501-46CF-8E0C-F28754EE128F.jpeg F1448D6F-7488-40F3-974E-E8B50078D020.jpeg 5E1B7951-FBB5-4F66-9314-71880EC5E1C6.jpeg 98487ACF-B8BE-4350-9E64-44F19DDEBFF1.jpeg

Very cool. I did not know there were different variations with the different sight setups.
I have been looking for a target model for a long time with no luck.
I have made it a goal of mine to have one of each model starting with the P46 and stopping with the P94S.
I have a sporter and target version of the P72 and M78, as well as a 22 mag M78.
I am missing the P46, the P54 target, and a P72 22 mag. These are going to be very hard to find.
Until tripleduce posted his picture, I was thinking there were no P54 target models in the USA at all, and maybe a handfull of P46's..
I have been looking at options for importing one, as they seem pretty common in Finland.

And the P75 Hornet. And biathlon P-series. The P72 came in three versions, Junior, Glossy stock and HB. And in 22LR and WMR. Plus biathlon and other special versions.

So there are plenty to hunt for!

Jim

I will not have the money to be able to get every variation of every one. Simply a representation of each model will suffice. So a basic sporter and a basic heavy barrel and I will be happy.
Also tracking down every tiny variation would be extremely difficult and extremely expensive.
I know about the 22 hornet models, and while I have not completely ruled them out, as of right now I am only focusing on the rimfire models. Maybe one day in the future I may add the 22 hornets, but I do not have any plans to at this point in time.
Once I get all the rimfire models, that may change. With as hard at the P46 and P54 target are to find here in the states, it might be a long time.

I have seen 1 P72 with a glossy stock. I thought that someone had refinished it and it kinda put me off. Interesting to know it might have actually been factory. I though they all were matte/oil type finishes.

My P72 .22 Long Rifle has a factory gloss finished stock. I purchased it directly from the retired president of Garcia Sporting Arms. His comment was that he never wanted to import them, believing that "no one would pay $500 for a .22".

I did get a chance to shoot it again last weekend. This time I used some Geco rifle "match".
"match" is a loose term, as I have shot some in my other rifles and it is not match, but more along the line of slightly higher grade plinking ammo.
But anyways, I was still happy with the result. And again, I am far from a expert marksman with open sights, so take that into account.
If I get a chance to try other ammo I will update.
Distance was 50 yards. Front rest rear bag.

52007584260_00125b1560_b.jpg

I did get a chance to shoot it again last weekend. This time I used some Geco rifle "match".
"match" is a loose term, as I have shot some in my other rifles and it is not match, but more along the line of slightly higher grade plinking ammo.
But anyways, I was still happy with the result. And again, I am far from a expert marksman with open sights, so take that into account.
If I get a chance to try other ammo I will update.
Distance was 50 yards. Front rest rear bag.

52007584260_00125b1560_b.jpg
Looks good to me!

Nice looking p54. Theese usually have pricing between 200-300€ here in Finland. Maybe 400€ if it is in exellent condion with scope. Most dealers have at least one in stock. Somehow they are in the same category as Baikal shotguns and "pystykorva" Mosins (every gun cabinet has one of those) but I rerely see anyone using P54 here.

Nice looking p54. Theese usually have pricing between 200-300€ here in Finland. Maybe 400€ if it is in exellent condion with scope. Most dealers have at least one in stock. Somehow they are in the same category as Baikal shotguns and "pystykorva" Mosins (every gun cabinet has one of those) but I rerely see anyone using P54 here.

I have been talking to a Finnish gun dealer and it amazes me at the price difference on these rifles, the P46, and other Sako rifles in general. The prices I see on them over there, they are easily 2-3 times as much here in the states.

I have been talking to a Finnish gun dealer and it amazes me at the price difference on these rifles, the P46, and other Sako rifles in general. The prices I see on them over there, they are easily 2-3 times as much here in the states.
Older centerfire sako sporter models are usually between 300-500€. Tikka models are 500-700€. New exported firearms like ruger, smith & wessons are almost double compared to what they are in American market. Like new ruger 10/22 goes for 500€.
I have posted previously some price listings from our police auctions and you can get real gems with a bargain price. Recently my friend payed 300€ for a pristiine sako a1 in 222rem. P54s have hammer price of 50€ and most will go to rawiron pile.

Latest posts

Back