• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L579 Trigger issues

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Walrus

I recently purchased an older 22-250 L579 Forester Serial number 316XXX that I've wanted for a long time. Full disclosure, the seller indicated that the his gunsmith said "The trigger may have sear issues". Apparently the guy didn't know how to fix the problem. What happens is that if you cock the bolt, put the safety "ON", and then pull the trigger with the safety "ON", the gun will fire when you push the safety "OFF", Not good! You can feel a very slight movement of the trigger when you pull it. Trigger pull tests indicate about 2.2 lbs. That's a bit light for me anyway. I tried the suggested trigger adjustments mentioned in other posts on this forum with no success. I'm not about to mess with anything else. I don't know of any what I would call "Sako qualified" gunsmiths in SE Wyoming to take it to. There are posts about the "#4" trigger and see some for sale. My trigger is stamped with a "2" on the safety lever.. Same trigger??? I'd prefer to stay with a Sako trigger if it needs to be replaced. Nothing against the Timney, since I have them on other rifles and like them. I just don't like the idea of removing wood. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• L579_Trigger.jpg
    L579_Trigger.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 19
Before doing anything else, I would clean up the trigger mechanism by soaking it in a light solvent or use a spray like Gun Scrubber. Or, better yet, an ultrasonic cleaner. Accumulated gunk in the trigger mechanism can cause malfunctions. If necessary, the trigger can be taken apart by a gunsmith. I've done it - it's a bit tricky but it isn't brain surgery. Finally, the trigger is adjustable for sear engagement - but it's highly unlikely that is the real problem unless some idiot has messed with it. The sear engagement is sealed at the factory and cannot and should not be casually changed.

The other thing to check would be the screw that holds the trigger mechanism tight against the receiver. The trigger is on a pivot pin and the screw keeps it snug against the receiver. If the trigger mechanism will rock back and forth, that screw needs to be tightened.

Edit: I see Paulson has sent you a PM while I was writing this post. Listen to him - he knows what he is talking about.

Before doing anything else, I would clean up the trigger mechanism by soaking it in a light solvent or use a spray like Gun Scrubber. Or, better yet, an ultrasonic cleaner. Accumulated gunk in the trigger mechanism can cause malfunctions. If necessary, the trigger can be taken apart by a gunsmith. I've done it - it's a bit tricky but it isn't brain surgery. Finally, the trigger is adjustable for sear engagement - but it's highly unlikely that is the real problem unless some idiot has messed with it. The sear engagement is sealed at the factory and cannot and should not be casually changed.

The other thing to check would be the screw that holds the trigger mechanism tight against the receiver. The trigger is on a pivot pin and the screw keeps it snug against the receiver. If the trigger mechanism will rock back and forth, that screw needs to be tightened.

Edit: I see Paulson has sent you a PM while I was writing this post. Listen to him - he knows what he is talking about.
Hi Mr. Walrus,
just for information there is a #4 trigger on e-bay, you may want to check it out. good luck. B/T

Reactions: ERP
Well, sorry to bother you guys. But it gets worse. So, I bought an as advertised "NEW IN PACKAGE" trigger assembly off eBay. It came dirty, in a zip lock bag, all screws loose, one locknut missing., and with an instruction sheet that looks like it's been handled 50 times. It's not close to what I was expecting. Sure as heck doesn't appear "NEW" to me. Would I be an AH if I complained? The attached pics are from Ebay.

Attachments

• s-l1600a.jpg
    s-l1600a.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 17
  • s-l1600b.jpg
    s-l1600b.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 17
You have the right to leave negative feedback and comments if you firmly believe that the product is misrepresented, however, I’d first reach out to the seller and state your concerns/opinions about the product.

Perhaps you can get a partial refund or return the item for a full refund. eBay has some level of support and will try and help. Typically you must wait 30 days or something to leave negative feedback. Try the benefit of the doubt first.

Do you feel the trigger assembly is unusable?

Both lock nuts appear to be present.
Note that the overtravel adjustment screw does not come with a lock nut.

Hope this helps.

You have the right to leave negative feedback and comments if you firmly believe that the product is misrepresented, however, I’d first reach out to the seller and state your concerns/opinions about the product.

Perhaps you can get a partial refund or return the item for a full refund. eBay has some level of support and will try and help. Typically you must wait 30 days or something to leave negative feedback. Try the benefit of the doubt first.

Do you feel the trigger assembly is unusable?
The trigger is probably useable. I'm assuming that it's going to have to have it recalibrated though.

The trigger is probably useable. I'm assuming that it's going to have to have it recalibrated though.
I’m kinda thinking all triggers have to be “recalibrated” so to speak… each gun will require adjustments. The loose lock nut would be some what “ready for installation”
Everything thing looks like it’s there but you will need a smith to fit it to your gun..unless you have the knowledge to take the responsibility upon yourself.

Last edited:
The trigger is probably useable
Yeah it looks like it is, as others have mentioned. Professional install by a smith would be advised if you feel the challenge is beyond your level of skill, and you wish to keep it. However - “New in package” should mean just that…I’d still make the seller aware of your dissatisfaction.

What are you complaining about???? The trigger looks fine to me & it came in it's original labeled package. As kevinlg said, the overtravel adjustment screw never came with a lock nut. That trigger is anywhere from 65 to 45 years old, so what did you expect the "packaging" to look like. Stuff gets dusty when it sits around that long. You bought NOS (new old stock), not made yesterday "new". Buying a new trigger was totally unnecessary without first confirming the original trigger needed replaced, which you did not. You have received good advice on how to resolve your "trigger" issue that you should consider following. Buying triggers over the internet is not going to fix your rifle. Getting it to a competent gunsmith, will! Just sayin'.

Okay. Thanks.
Don’t let our responses get you to feel scolded, shamed or chastised. It’s easy to get the cart before the horse when it comes to firearms with lefty loosey , righty tighty screw slots and lack of knowledge about trigger mechanisms. What one may see as relatively simple, someone else is scratching their head.
My point is if you feel that a trigger change is in order , don’t do it yourself if you are not comfortable or confident with its proper function in aspects to safety.
Nothing wrong with having a spare trigger either, so if indeed you do find that the original trigger just needs proper service and adjustment..it’s not the end of the world.
Installing a trigger with no understanding of its function OR watching a YouTube video first is not a good idea. A trip across the state to a skilled and licensed gunsmith would still be less than a short trip to the hospital or funeral home.
Hope everything works out and you get your rifle back in service.

Don’t let our responses get you to feel scolded, shamed or chastised. It’s easy to get the cart before the horse when it comes to firearms with lefty loosey , righty tighty screw slots and lack of knowledge about trigger mechanisms. What one may see as relatively simple, someone else is scratching their head.
My point is if you feel that a trigger change is in order , don’t do it yourself if you are not comfortable or confident with its proper function in aspects to safety.
Nothing wrong with having a spare trigger either, so if indeed you do find that the original trigger just needs proper service and adjustment..it’s not the end of the world.
Installing a trigger with no understanding of its function OR watching a YouTube video first is not a good idea. A trip across the state to a skilled and licensed gunsmith would still be less than a short trip to the hospital or funeral home.
Hope everything works out and you get your rifle back in service.
Well said Bloo!

Back