• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Local Find

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

SwedeFan

Here's one that's availale locally, sorry for the poor pics, it's what the seller sent. L579 Forester .243win. I'm not sure what to think about the bolt not having any finish, and the recoil pad has clearly been swapped out. The stock looks to have nice grain/figure, but the pics make the finish look dull. Evidently the bolt matches the action. Front sight is intact/no hood. I'm not sure what's going on with the bases. My gut says maybe it's a $600 shooter. Is my assesment close or did I missing something? What say you?

-Swede

IMG_5855.jpg
IMG_5857.jpg IMG_5856.jpg IMG_5853.jpg IMG_5854.jpg IMG_5852.jpg IMG_5858.jpg

Here's one that's availale locally, sorry for the poor pics, it's what the seller sent. L579 Forester .243win. I'm not sure what to think about the bolt not having any finish, and the recoil pad has clearly been swapped out. The stock looks to have nice grain/figure, but the pics make the finish look dull. Evidently the bolt matches the action. Front sight is intact/no hood. I'm not sure what's going on with the bases. My gut says maybe it's a $600 shooter. Is my assesment close or did I missing something? What say you?

-Swede

View attachment 34623
View attachment 34624View attachment 34625View attachment 34626View attachment 34627View attachment 34628View attachment 34629
Appears to have been refinished in oil at some time. The original finish would have been varnished. The bluing on the bolt has been removed.
The figure is attractive, and the hard butt plate could be restored easily. A Bofors Forester of the period shown is usually very well fitted and assembled. Mid ‘60’s was a golden era for Sako.
$600 shooter could be the deal of the day!
My 2cent

maybe it's a $600 shooter
I’d agree, $600. is probably in the ballpark. The Weaver style bases are pretty worthless in my opinion, hopefully if there’s some set screws they haven’t marred the dovetail tops. The bluing has been polished off, not really a big deal. I have an L461 custom which has the bluing polished off too. The stock is just kinda blah, but not terrible. The pad unfortunately isn’t a good contrast. But an old Bofors shooter is still way better than some of the crap available these days.

I’d ask to testfire this one. It appears to have some miles on it, I’d want proof of life (accuracy)

I would say “pass” and save the $600 to use toward a lightly used original or possibly a rare model. There are plenty of other .243’s out there. This is merely someone else’s project and obviously of little resale value. Stock refinish is unimpressive and a beater or truck gun. It has no open sights so you’ll spend more than the cost in scope bases & a decent scope. So you are really going to be over $1,000 in it. Some would say it is better to have a few “quality” Sako’s than a quantity of them.
My 2 cents.

Last edited:
It depends on what you want it for. If the bore is in good shape then at $600 it is a shooting bargain compared to a Rem 700 or Savage, either of which sellers will ask more than $600. Condition is unimportant for a shooter, and it would make a good "truck" gun (I don't shoot trucks too often but a .243 will make just as good a hole in one as a .300 Win Mag). Actually, it would part-out for more than $600, so you wouldn't be risking anything paying that much for it.

However, if you're looking for a nice gun to display on the rack, then the re-do's on the stock and bolt simply take it out of that class.

So, what are you looking for and what niche will it fill for you?

What Spaher said, plenty more out there that would offer more, even if it meant $200 -$300 more.
Jay

As it is, the seller wants north of 900 for this rifle. IDK what his bottom dollar is, I probably wouldn't waste an offer at this point. I'm not looking for another project at the moment, and my .243 shoots just fine for now. Thanks for all the valuable feedback.

Dreamland
No kidding. Just check out the 90% of Sakos on Gunbroker which never get a bid due to the starting bid being too high. Why do they bother? Many of those guns have recycled for months on end.

I just don't get it. While a gun is not like a head of lettuce which you have to sell within two days or it becomes worthless, guns aren't like a piece of real estate which you may anticipate taking months to sell. If a gun won't sell within a week on an auction site then it's priced too high.

The condition of a rifle or equipment is often a reflection of the type of owner it had previously. Upon closer examination you can see the pitting under the matte bluing on the magazine floorplate, an indicator that that person did not keep the rifle clean after prior uses and in all likelihood neglected the barrel as well. I want to buy equipment that is well maintained rather than poorly.

As it is, the seller wants north of 900 for this rifle. IDK what his bottom dollar is, I probably wouldn't waste an offer at this point. I'm not looking for another project at the moment, and my .243 shoots just fine for now. Thanks for all the valuable feedback.
Way too much for a truck gun…sorry

I agree with Spahner. I always think if you have too many questions about a purchase your instincts are usually correct. Keep your powder dry and find a Sako that looks ready to go. I don't buy off the internet and find enough Sakos at shops and shows to examine, and have yet to have buyers remorse. I'm also a Tikka fan and the LSA models could be another option.

Latest posts

Back