• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

North American Arms "Grizzly"

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
ad5c_1.jpg

This subject came up on another thread where Blooroster mentioned that he once owned one of these in .222 Magnum. I thought the subject deserves its own thread.

The poor quality reproduction above of an advertisement from sometime in the 1950's/1960's is part of the scant evidence of the existence of these proprietary rifles on a Sako action. The one in the ad is on an L57, while the one Bloo owned was on a later L461.

The address of the "North American Arms" company is in Toronto, and it is my best guess that these were distributed only in Canada. However, I'd love to be corrected if they were distributed in other countries.

The L461 that Bloo owned he says had a Bofors-marked barrel. The stock illustrated in the only photo he has of it show non-Sako characteristics, so it appears that the "Grizzly" may have been all-Sako metal with a non-Sako stock.

The closest I've come to ever seeing one in the flesh was a stock off of one being offered on ebay several years ago.

If anyone has any information on the "Grizzly" or North American Arms (apparently not the company of the same or similar name which makes the mini revolvers), please tell us what you know!

Last edited:
016.JPG

grizzly.jpg

Here is the photo...I had more ,but I lost them when my old computer crashed and burned. ( I found another from a previous post)

I think this rifle dated somewhere 65'-66'..It was obviously built with a large shooter in mind (15'' length of pull) which I found slightly uncomfortable. It was also on the heavy side, with the stock being more robust in all aspects, not the exquisite feel of a sako stocked rifle of the same period. It was accurate, just like all the others...The fit and finish was very good as well.

I'd love to hear from anyone else that has ever had one of these grizzly's and learn more of the history of North America Arms.~Bloo

Last edited:
I'd say offhand that the "Grizzly" and the Anschutz built on the L46 may be about the rarest of the proprietary Sakos. And I doubt that either was ever distributed in the U.S.

100_3677.jpg 100_3675.jpg 100_3674_00.jpg Here are a few of the missing pictures from Bloos rifle. I remember the grip cap and the Buttplate had embossed grizzly bears on them and the stock had the same finish color and feel as a Coltsman standard sporter that I had at one time. There were numbers from factory marks on the inside of the stock and the inletting resembled the coltsman stock also. The forend tip was ebony as near as I could tell. The checkering pattern was much the same as a musketeer rifle that I have. "Hayseed" (Dick Reidel) had the impression that it was a Grizzly/Sako (he called it a cub) and my gut tells me that it was also. Hope this helps.-Misako

That is strange to a point. I found info several years ago, but it is like we have no more insight into what went on in Canadian marketing history when it comes to the proprietary guns.-Misako

VERY interesting!!

It strangely reminds me of the lack of information about small Sako actioned Winslow rifles.

Back on topic.......I have NEVER seen a North American Arms Grizzly rifle........but then, I haven't been around The Horn either.

Great subject!

There was one on Auction Arms last year, an L461 in 222Mag at a shop in Fort Worth. The guys had a 900 dollar reserve on it and only being about 50 miles from me I thought long and hard about taking a look at it. They kept saying it was original, I kept thinking with that stock it wasn't. Add in 8.25% sales tax I just kept wafflling on it and finally it did sell. Then I see everyone talking about the NAA rifles from Canada, and there that stock was again.....snooze ya lose. I really think that stock and a lot of the verbage the seller used in his ad was what kept it on the auction site for so long, it was there for probably 2 months.

I'd say offhand that the "Grizzly" and the Anschutz built on the L46 may be about the rarest of the proprietary Sakos. And I doubt that either was ever distributed in the U.S.

Stonecreek - I'd add the Krico using the sako action to those two above! You tend to see a few Anschutz sako's but hardly any krico sako's.

Topgear: I know that Krico used a BRNO action prior to making their own for the .22 H/.222, but I've never seen a Sako action on a Krico. Do you have any information or literature on these?

Misako: The photos and your description of the Grizzly stock make it sound very much like the Colt and Montgomery Ward rifles. The information I've come up with indicates that these rifles were put together by either High Standard or a related/successor/spin-off company called the Jefferson Rifle company. But I'll admit that my evidence is tenuous and circumstantial. Could it be that the Grizzly came from the same source and was marketed in Canada?

Too bad that seemingly everyone connected with Sako or FI during this period is long gone and records are virtually non-existent.

Yessir- But don't look too close, the spring in our chicken is loosening up, also.:facepalm2:-Misako

Here's the second "North American Arms' Grizzly that I have owned.
This one has a checkered stock with fore-end & grip caps, the other one did not have checkering nor caps. This one has different barrel markings also.
The first one I owned was also in 308.

Last edited:
I have located pics of the other NAA Grizzly I owned a couple years ago.
Notice that this one is stamped SAKO on the barrel and has the seller's stamp on top of the barrel.
This one is quite late in L57 production with it's 92XX serial number.
SakoL57001_zps888d4cea.jpg

SakoL57002_zps22ca33a9.jpg

SakoL57003_zps761884a7.jpg

SakoL57004_zpsb8599e1a.jpg

SakoL57005_zpse9bbfc3c.jpg

SakoL57006_zps968e652d.jpg

SakoL57009_zpsd46bb2d8.jpg

SakoL57011_zps6f6e3090.jpg

SakoL57012_zpsc9b243f1.jpg

Thank You Barreltwister! Your photos are wonderful, very well done. The examples you have provided are very nice rifles, I see how the Musketeer could be compared to the Grizzly and even the Colt proprietary rifle (Coltsman 57) bear strong similarities. Your rifle that has the "Deluxish" attributes is fantastic! I enjoy the straight combed stock and monte carlo cheekpiece, very much like the Sako version of the L57's and L46's, gorgeous rifle!!!

Question: The rifle I had (had being the worst feeling ever!) was very long in length of pull...about 15". It was rather uncomfortable for me to settle into. I thought it was maybe the fact that the average Canadian shooter could be somewhat larger in stature (7 ' tall!). Do the rifles you have exibit this longer length of pull??

Again...Thanks for sharing your photos and commentary about these intriguing Sako variants...You are the first member that has had any input and hands on experience! Keep on keepin' on!~Bloorooster

Stonecreek-
Would you and Topgear take a look at this-
transparentcorner_topleft.gif
Description for Item # 543772776
transparentcorner_topright.gif
on GB for the next two days only -
Krico, bolt action, .222 Remington, appears to be a CZ but is marked "made in Germany" on receiver and detachable magazine, Dated July 1957, factory grooved receiver, double set triggers, rear sight with one fixed ( 100 meters ) and two additional leaves ( 150 and 200 meters), ramp front sight, high polish blue finish, pretty red toned schnable tipped checkered stock, sling swivels, white line spacers, hard plastic Browning butt plate, Metal 98% with most wear to bottom edge of magazine and a screw. Wood 97% with minor scratches and mars. Bore bright. A delightful little rifle with a very attractive appearance. Ser# 1006XX Stock 412
I'm out of my depth here - need a practiced eye to review this. Barreltwister - repost photo's pls.

Last edited:
I've heard of these but never seen one. Krico of Germany built some rifles on the little Brno 465 action. The little action is a fine one and the precursor of the somewhat less refined CZ 527 action. And the double set triggers are simply heavenly.

HOWEVER, I have read that the Krico version of the 465 action was not actually made by Brno, but rather was made under license by a contractor (presumably not Krico, but someone else). The fact that the action is marked "Made in Germany" (whereas a Brno would be marked "Czechoslovakia") would seem to support this notion.

Krico has always built a good product. I'm not sure that this particular rifle will bring the asking price, but compared to similar rifles on the market it is probably worth it in terms of quality.

Note: The safety on this and other Brno/CZ designs works backwards. This is a horrible design flaw. I own a Brno and make it a practice to NEVER engage the safety. I don't chamber a cartridge until I'm ready to shoot, and keep the bolt lifted if not ready to shoot. I never loan it to anyone and only allow someone else to shoot it from the bench single-shot style while I am sitting beside them to monitor their use of it. I can't believe that CZ gets away with selling these in this day and time.

Latest posts

Back