• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Proper stock finish on an L57?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

RHA

After I complete this repair, I need will need finish to match the existing.
Will also touch up a few spots elsewhere on the stock.

What type of finish would be correct?

20240409_141128.jpg

The finish is a lacquer with a stain under it, but it will be hard to match. That stock will never be a "collector", so just do your best. Making it a good shooter is more important to its value than its cosmetics.

The finish is a lacquer with a stain under it, but it will be hard to match. That stock will never be a "collector", so just do your best. Making it a good shooter is more important to its value than its cosmetics.
No collector status expected. Just making it "good", though it will be as "good" as I can make it.

Short version: Rifle owned by a friend I was roommates with over 30 years ago.
Another friend I have known for 45+ years was shooting this rifle when the piece of the stock went missing.
This happened.....30+ years ago.
We reconnected in the last couple of years and I brought the rifle home a couple of months ago.
Sending pics of progress to both friends.

A few minutes ago. 20240410_184205.jpg

Very well done!
Not knowing before hand of the repair area..you have to look pretty closely to find it.
Excellent work

Reactions: RHA
Final pictures sent to the owner. Pics taken outside for better lighting.
Just a bit of stain in the checkering.

Thank you for the information about the finish.
When repairing for resale I default to oil for most older guns and polyurethane for newer stuff.
For a customer/friend I wanted it to be correct.
This was his fathers rifle and will likely go to one of his grandchildren.

20240416_105209.jpg 20240416_105218.jpg

When repairing for resale I default to oil for most older guns and polyurethane for newer stuff.

View attachment 34503View attachment 34504
Outstanding job of blending.

Reactions: RHA

View attachment 34503View attachment 34504
If you don't mind me asking, how did the break occur? Seems like a strange place for a stock to split off wood? B/T

If you don't mind me asking, how did the break occur? Seems like a strange place for a stock to split off wood? B/T
Cannot recall exactly, as it was a long time ago.

Typically when I see these kind of repairs, the rear tang was inletted poorly or the recoil surface has compressed allowing the tang to impact the wood.

Back