• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Question about the Sako-Browning Safari Rifles of the 1960s and 70s

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

South Pender

I suspect that this has been asked and answered before, and I did do a brief search, but came up with nothing. My question is: who made the barrels on the Sako-Browning Safari (and presumably the Medallion and Olympian) rifles of the 1960s and 70s? The actions were obviously Sako (without the tapered dovetail), but did Sako send barreled-actions (with Sako barrels) to FN for completion of the rifle, or did the barrels come from FN or another source?

The factory records show that Sako made all of the barrels on the Browning-Sakos. They were shipped to FN as barreled actions for stocking.

Of course, like the actions, the barrels had a different and lighter contour (stepped) from those on Sako rifles. The 20" pencil barrels on the H&R .17 Rem, .222, and .223, all of which (except those left over from the O'brien inventory) were made by Sako. The H&R wildcat .17-223 was apparently barreled by H&R with a non-Sako barrel since no barreled actions of that caliber appear in the Sako records.

So far as we can tell, Sako made the entire rifle of the Colt-Sako Coltsman "Deluxe", but the barrels and stocks for the standard grade Colt-Sakos were fitted in the U.S. Proprietary Sears, Ward, Marlin, Beretta 500 series, Anschutz, and any others using Sako actions appear not to have Sako barrels.

Last edited:
Thanks, stonecreek. That ensures that these Sako-Brownings should be accurate. With the higher-grade walnut that FN used on their Browning rifles of that period (some with Claro), and the more-extensive checkering, most that I've seen have been very nice--a little fancier than the corresponding Sakos.

Edit. The reason I asked is that I've been lusting after one for some time, and there's a pencil-barrel model up for sale here (pic below) at what I think is a fairly good price (about $1250 USD with scope and mounts or likely about $1100 without). However, it is missing the rear sight blade, as can be seen in the picture, and that's a concern. I'm not sure whether I'd be able to find a replacement. On the other hand, I guess I could remove the sight base if it is screwed on, although if soldered, that's not an option. It has a serial number ending in ...Z72, which I believe indicates a 1972 DOM, likely putting it out of the salt-wood period, although I'd need to have the seller check this for me.
Ce8nI8O.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: ERP
The barrels on the sporter-weight Safaris are light and a bit whippy, but those I've owned are amply accurate -- just don't expect them to hold a tight group after 5 to 10 closely spaced shots. I also own a heavy barrel model which is very consistent in its accuracy even when the barrel is on the warm side.

The 1972 model (last year, I believe) should be free of salt. The quick test is to remove a buttplate screw. Since it is embedded in the wood it is typically the first place that corrosion forms.

I'd say the price you mention is fair for one in good condition. Like Sakos, the caliber makes some difference in price. The .243 is likely the most common, so .308 and .22-250 may bring a little more. And the very scarce .284 will top the market. Both the .222 and .222 magnum in the L461 action are sought after.

Hi Mr. South Pender.
You may want to contact Browning for the rear sight, I have gotten good results from them when needing parts for my Auto-5 shotgun. Worth a try! best wishes, B/T

SP two screws hold the rear sight on, and every one I've removed has been well polished and blued under the sight. Filler screws are easy to find. The sight can be hard to find but I'd be willing to help you locate one. They always want too much $$ for them. Z72 is for L579 action made in 1972. Browning announced them discontinued in 1973, but they continued to produce them through 1975 and possibly some in 1976. The Safaris are stamped made in Finland and Made in Belgium is stamped on the Olympian and Medallion. The 243 and 308 pencil barrel were available with or without sights. Generally the 22-250 has no sights but I have seen a few with sights. All the 284 Safaris I've seen had sights. What caliber is it?

By all accounts, the front sight is screwed on, but I've never removed a front sight. Those little pencil barrel L461's and L579's are sweet rifles. If it's not glass bedded, that's a good deal. The stock barrel channel should be stamped with the rifle serial number. Like stone says, if the BP screws are rust free and as part of the inspection, if you can remove the barrel/action and it's free of rust, it should be rust free especially being 52 years old and no signs of salt damage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back