• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

sako mauser

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

bumppo

please explain how this rifle is a Sako and in which decade it may have been produced?

thanks.
I asked the store's gun room why exactly they call it a sako, and they said (i quote): "It is one of the first sako's they used old 98 actions. "

It is certainly possible that the action came off of a Sako-Mauser, but only the barrel and stock (and on some, the trigger) was Sako. Once you take the barrel (which had the serial number) and stock off there ain't nothin' about it that makes it "A Sako" and there is no way to establish that the action came from what was once a Sako-Mauser.

Sako "mausers" do exist from what i have seen here in Finland but they would be reworked swedes, mostly late 40s i think so yea early sako for sure, mostly built on carl gustav and husky actions from what i have seen. I heard locally that Sako did produce mauser actions as well alongside mosin bases ones until they figured out their own design.

These are local offerings in the gunshop.

never seen anything like that one. But iam not an expert. Looks off tho, i have only seen ones based on k98k and m96 actions personally.

Attachments

• SAKO-MAUSER-CARL-GUSTAV-8,2x57-KAYT-KIV-HYVA!-6427-1.jpg
    SAKO-MAUSER-CARL-GUSTAV-8,2x57-KAYT-KIV-HYVA!-6427-1.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 15027984.t.jpg
    15027984.t.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 15
We are looking at two different critters here. On the one hand, in the immediate postwar period Sako and several others converted surplus military rifles for sporting use, including German and Swedish Mausers as well as Arisakas and lever-action Winchester model 95's.

Later, Sako built rifles on new Mauser-type actions made on contract by FN in Belgium. These were sold as the Sako High Power rifle during the 1950's. It is these rifles and not the surplus conversions that American collectors sometimes call Sako-Mauser. They are also known as FN-Sako or Sako High Power. Here are a pair of FN-Sako rifles, a custom .300 H&H on top and a factory original .30-06 below.
2 Rifles .JPG

We are looking at two different critters here. On the one hand, in the immediate postwar period Sako and several others converted surplus military rifles for sporting use, including German and Swedish Mausers as well as Arisakas and lever-action Winchester model 95's.

Later, Sako built rifles on new Mauser-type actions made on contract by FN in Belgium. These were sold as the Sako High Power rifle during the 1950's. It is these rifles and not the surplus conversions that American collectors sometimes call Sako-Mauser. They are also known as FN-Sako or Sako High Power. Here are a pair of FN-Sako rifles, a custom .300 H&H on top and a factory original .30-06 below.
View attachment 33897
i wasnt aware of those but now i kinda want one. Where these ever made in smaller actions? like 243. I have a thing for mausers. I have only seen them locally in 8.2x57 and 7.2x55 civilianised military cartridges (law prohibited military cartridges back then.

i wasnt aware of those but now i kinda want one. Where these ever made in smaller actions? like 243. I have a thing for mausers. I have only seen them locally in 8.2x57 and 7.2x55 civilianised military cartridges (law prohibited military cartridges back then.
The FN-Sako was made in .270, .30-06, .300 H&H Magnum, .375 H&H Magnum, 8x60, and 8x60S Magnum. There may have been a few in 7x57mm, but I am not sure of that. Husqvarna made some smaller caliber rifles on Mauser-type actions. The CZ 527 is a Mauser-type action designed around the .222 Remington cartridge; it has also been made in .223 and .22 Hornet. There was also an earlier version from Brno; I think it was called the Brno Fox but I'm not sure. The 527 is comparable in quality, cost, and performance to the Sako L46. Here's a photo of a CZ 527. The photo shows the gun without its detachable magazine, which extends below the action in front of the trigger guard.
CZ Hornet w:Leupold 1.JPG

The FN-Sako was made in .270, .30-06, .300 H&H Magnum, .375 H&H Magnum, 8x60, and 8x60S Magnum. There may have been a few in 7x57mm, but I am not sure of that. Husqvarna made some smaller caliber rifles on Mauser-type actions. The CZ 527 is a Mauser-type action designed around the .222 Remington cartridge; it has also been made in .223 and .22 Hornet. There was also an earlier version from Brno; I think it was called the Brno Fox but I'm not sure. The 527 is comparable in quality, cost, and performance to the Sako L46. Here's a photo of a CZ 527. The photo shows the gun without its detachable magazine, which extends below the action in front of the trigger guard.
View attachment 33903
i love the look of that one, iam particular to huskies but they are surprisingly rare out here in any other chambering than 9.3x62, moose hunters used to go nuts for them before 308 became the "ultimate" cartridge. I May be ignorant but 308 just seems like a mediocre caliber to me compared to its local predesessors 30-06, 7.62x53 and 6.5x55. But the CZ is quite common around here, even the full stock ones. If i cant find a Sako mauser in a small caliber may need to go for a CZ, i just find their actions a bit clunky based on examples in my local gunshop altho those may have been worn out? never handled a new CZ

Latest posts

Back