• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako S20, a flop?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

gangsterofboats

I can’t help but notice a very large amount of unsold S20s on the market. Has this rifle been a business flop for Sako and perhaps the driver behind them consolidating models in their 90 line and other business changes? I have to admit, I do find the stock design to be hideous.

Thoughts?

I can’t help but notice a very large amount of unsold S20s on the market. Has this rifle been a business flop for Sako and perhaps the driver behind them consolidating models in their 90 line and other business changes? I have to admit, I do find the stock design to be hideous.

Thoughts?
I agree, gangsterofboats. I find the stock hideous as well. And in addition, the particular design of the thumbhole feature makes the stock look vulnerable to breakage.

But, wombat, I think I have to disagree about the Sako 90. It can be had in a lot of variations--many in line with the tastes of present-day, younger shooters--and I predict that it will survive and even thrive.

Last edited:
The precision configuration could be pretty nifty poor mans TRG if the magazines weren't plastic junk.

The hunter configuration could be pretty good if the barrel contour wasn't so heavy and there were better options for the rear stock. Thumb hole doesn't lend itself well to fast situation IMO. And if the magazines weren't unreliable plastic junk.

I think there are good design points, but they are dragged down by the "hybrid rifle" concept. And cheap plastic junk magazines (not cheap to buy).

The new Sako S20 and 90 are both products of the Gamer World. Modular plastic stocks and quick change construction. The S 20 is a boat anchor in comparison to the svelte, quick pointing rifle Sako became famous for.

Last edited:
My last new Sako was a stainless 75 in .30-06, and will probably be my last new Sako. The Sako 100 looks interesting but not 5 grand interesting.

I agree regarding the regrettable current trends with rifles--grotesque plastic stocks, synthetic parts, tacticool vibe, etc.--but at least with the 90, traditional walnut-stocked, all-steel versions are available--the Hunter and Bavarian models. They closely resemble the walnut/steel 85, which I think is a nice rifle. As for the S20, I agree with all that has been said.

My S20 6.5 PRC is great for bench rest, which suits these rather old bones. It's shot to 1000 every week, plus to a mile in two locations. The curvy rear stock sits well on the bag. I only own one other gun that matches its action quality, a Sauer Fieldshoot in 6.5 SE. Then again, I'm a Scot and always chasing a deal.

I can't confirm that.
Here in my home country of Austria, Sako rifles are rare (Blaser from Germany and the domestic manufacturer Steyr dominate), but you do sometimes meet hunters who carry a Sako.

I personally have several Sako 85 rifles as well as two S20s in my gun cabinet. Even if many detest the stock of the S20, I am satisfied with it and found the approach with the chassis (which was taken from the TRG?) very interesting.
The rifles work and they shoot well. Yes, wood is nicer, but I appreciate the S20 as a workhorse in all weathers. On traditional hunts, however, I only take the 85 in a wooden stock with me, as people tend to look at you the wrong way around here if you turn up with a plastic rifle with a thumbhole stock.

Hello Members,
Just thought I would pass on MY thoughts of a Sako 90, that I looked at and handled in my local gun shop today, was in calibre .308W.
Wood, I’ve seen better on pallets at the local fruit wholesalers.
Blued finish, appears to look like cerakote, but would be a very matte satin blue/black.
Pad, hard rubber.
Drop magazine, external, is alloy (all checked with a magnet)
Reciever action, dovetailed flat, seems to have the half moon cut out also in the bridge.
The action/breech opening is now smaller and the top left hand side is dished, I would say covering about 25%-30% of the breech ejection opening, (not quite as enclosed as a Tikka T3X)
The bolt face now has 2? Ejection buttons? (Obviously have not been able to correct some of the 85 Model ejection issue some rifle had, so extra ejection pins to ensure the empty case goes out the ejection side)
Trigger guard is Alloy? and the trigger appears to also be alloy also, an almost pale white and cheap looking. There is also a trigger adjustment feature in front of the trigger.
AUD$3295.00
= US$2135.00 at today’s exchange rate.
I’m sure that 80% of the Sako Collectors on this side would roll their eyes!
Anyway that’s my observations.
Picture of a young Sambar yearling I took late yesterday with my Sako AV in .30/06 with 180gn. Noaler Partition at about 80 yards, off the shooting sticks.
Hole in One, it ended up in a Wombat hole!!!!
I reckon the value of my AV went up 50% in value after what I saw today.
Stay safe to all.
Jay

Attachments

• IMG_5984.jpeg
    IMG_5984.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 27
Interesting observations, wombat. Which model of the 90 was it? Maybe the Bavarian or Hunter? These are the two that I know have wood stocks. I'm surprised that the bottom metal (at least the trigger guard) was alloy. The bottom metal on my 85 (with hinged floorplate) is steel.

Last edited:
It was a Hunter model.
I would be interested to know the bedding system on this model.
Time will tell in the end.
One thing I know, what ever reviews on web sites or magazines, take them with a grain of salt as most reviewers get paid!!!!Jay
* I take more note and credence from long term members on this Forum.

It was a Hunter model.
I would be interested to know the bedding system on this model.
Time will tell in the end.
One thing I know, what ever reviews on web sites or magazines, take them with a grain of salt as most reviewers get paid!!!!Jay
* I take more note and credence from long term members on this Forum.
I'm guessing that it's the same as, or very similar to, that of the wood-stocked 85s. I've read that the recoil-lug arrangement (the horizontal plate) is the same as that on the 85, although I'd like to see a picture to be sure.

Some may concider the S20 to be a flop, but I really like my S20 Hunter. I got it in a 6.5 CM because I have several rifles in the 6.5 CM and have never had one that would not shoot well.

The S20 Hunter I have is one in the original Grey, got a good deal @ $1,200.00 US with shipping, tax and transfer fee. All I can say is it is alot of rifle for that money.

I have 2 Sako L61Rs in 30-06, both are standard stock not deluxe. One I got from my Father that he bought new in 1963 and the other is a Garcia that was made around 1972 or 3. They both have beatiful wood and nice blueing, the older one is a bit better as far as factory finish and about a half pound lighter.

The S20 Hunter has an extremly smooth action, a great trigger that adjusted down to 2 lbs but feels like 1.5 lbs. It shoots great giving me 100 yard 5 shot groups between .300" and .900" depending on the day I am having. Although the .900" group was on a windy day 20 mph crosswind and the group had one that was to the right making it .900" the other 4 bullets were less than .400" ctc. I shoot 147 ELD-Ms @ 2900 fps and 143 ELD-Xs at 2935 fps both with SDs under 8 .

The Magazine for mine feeds good and the spare was not as much money as some of the mags I have bought for other rifles.

The S20 Hunter weights a bit more than my pre garcia and a bit less than my garcia, I like the way it fits and feels, I bought it for funtioality and not for how it looks.

I think it is a great rifle for its purpose, accurate shooting and hunting. Would like a few more.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back