• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Some Unique Sako-Mausers

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
Paulson's post on the Sako-Mauser mystery rifle reminded me that I should post some photos of my collection of somewhat unique Sako-Mausers. There has never been a great deal of interest in the Sako-Mausers, and accordingly, they typically can be bought well worth the money. But I happen to have run across and acquired three rather unique ones in my Sako wanderings.

The top one in the photo is the only Deluxe version of the Sako-Mauser I can recall seeing. It is a .30-06 and features the same Deluxe attributes as the L-series Sakos; specifically, skipline checkering, contrasting fore end and PG, no sights, and engraved floorplate. It has the engraving pattern deemed "Fishgods" and is the "three-eyed" version. The pad came on it but I'm sure it is a replacement.

The middle one is, outside of a .375 H&H in the recent North Dakota sale, the only Sako-Mauser Mannlicher I've seen. It is in .270, has a full length 24.4" rifle barrel, and incidentally, shoots right along with any half-stock rifle I've owned. The buttplate (or pad, don't remember which) was unusable when I got it, so I replaced it with a Pachmayr.

The bottom one is the 8x60 I showed in another thread. While the first two are post-1957 rifles with the Sako #4 triggers and trigger safety, this one is an older one with a Mauser trigger and wing bolt safety. It has no receiver holes for mounting a scope. Very few 8x60's were made, and none were commercially imported to the U.S.

DSC00781 (1024x441).jpg

Floorplate engraving on Deluxe model:
DSC00782 (800x287).jpg

Stone..The trigger guard engraving on your De Lux is almost exactly the same as what is on my L 57 Deluxe 9AA086CC-A816-4A64-A2F8-47A35B087220.jpeg

Edit: sorry to sidetrack from the Sako/Mauser subject, I mentioned it to possibly coincide a timeline in production.:D

Hippie

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: sorry to sidetrack from the Sako/Mauser subject
Unpardonable! No one ever gets off the subject around here:rolleyes:!

But thanks for the photo. There are some "two-eyed" Fishgods out there, I think. Would be glad if someone would post theirs.

Paulson's post on the Sako-Mauser mystery rifle reminded me that I should post some photos of my collection of somewhat unique Sako-Mausers. There has never been a great deal of interest in the Sako-Mausers, and accordingly, they typically can be bought well worth the money. But I happen to have run across and acquired three rather unique ones in my Sako wanderings.

The top one in the photo is the only Deluxe version of the Sako-Mauser I can recall seeing. It is a .30-06 and features the same Deluxe attributes as the L-series Sakos; specifically, skipline checkering, contrasting fore end and PG, no sights, and engraved floorplate. It has the engraving pattern deemed "Fishgods" and is the "three-eyed" version. The pad came on it but I'm sure it is a replacement.

The middle one is, outside of a .375 H&H in the recent North Dakota sale, the only Sako-Mauser Mannlicher I've seen. It is in .270, has a full length 24.4" rifle barrel, and incidentally, shoots right along with any half-stock rifle I've owned. The buttplate (or pad, don't remember which) was unusable when I got it, so I replaced it with a Pachmayr.

The bottom one is the 8x60 I showed in another thread. While the first two are post-1957 rifles with the Sako #4 triggers and trigger safety, this one is an older one with a Mauser trigger and wing bolt safety. It has no receiver holes for mounting a scope. Very few 8x60's were made, and none were commercially imported to the U.S.

View attachment 23212

Floorplate engraving on Deluxe model:
View attachment 23213

Stone Creek,
I have an 8 x 60 very similar to yours except mine has a schnable on the fore end and a hood over the front sight. It has not been drilled and tapped for scope mounting. The checkering does not cross the bottom centerline of the stock, leaving a thin, uncheckered strip 1/4" wide. The floorplate is not hinged and the release is a vertical stud (push button). The butt plate is unmarked black plastic with horizontal lines. I don't know if it is original.

With Buffalo Arms (Idaho) 200 grain .318" psp bullets, it is a tack driver as well as I can shoot with open sights. The FN action is also the smoothest of all my bolt guns and is the only one that can easily be worked from the shoulder. The curve of the pistol grip is a little tight when shooting full-power heavy elk loads but the balance of the rifle is about perfect

I like that manlicher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Buffalo Arms (Idaho) 200 grain .318" psp bullets, it is a tack driver as well as I can shoot with open sights.
Yep, I need to order some of those .318 bullets for my 8x60. I have some brass, and more is easy to make from .30-06, so that's not a problem.

Latest posts

Back