• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

"Squiggly" wood Sakos

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

If you’re packing, always know your body position and keep your body between the ground and your gun if you fall. Seems to work
Many years ago -- when I was in my thirties (sigh) -- I shot a bull elk as it ran across an opening then disappeared after the shot behind a little hill. I immediately ran forward holding my pristine Finnbear Deluxe .338 to attempt to see over the hill to see where the bull went. In doing so my toe caught a rock and I fell face-forward. Somehow, my Sako-lover's instinct to sacrifice myself in order to save the gun kicked in and I extended my arms forward and suspended it as my chest hit the ground, but kept the gun from all harm. Thank god I was still in my thirties! Being young and tough, I ignored the bruises and pain, and jumped up to continue my pursuit of the bull. Disappointingly, there was no bull visible when I topped the little hillock.

But there was a happy ending: The bull had fallen dead in a small gully just out of sight, a 225 grain Nosler Partition having taken out his lungs. And my Sako Deluxe emerged from the encounter without a scratch.

As promised, when the weather warmed up and the wind laid a bit, I took the Presentation Super Deluxe out to the range. Zeroing took only two shots with some old factory loads I had lying around. After that I grouped three shots at the 100 yard target with some generic 165 gr Accubond handloads that I had loaded for another of my .30-06's with full length sized brass so they would fit whatever .30-06 I might need.

The three shots went into exactly an inch and averaged 1.5" high, maybe not quite as good as Spaher's initial efforts with his Classic .30-06, but ample for any hunting I might do -- if they passed the 300 yard test.

Pres165a.jpg
100 yard target with 2" black square and 1" grid lines

Moving to the 8" metal gong at 300 yards, there was a little wind, but it was somewhat variable and from indeterminate direction, so I took a center hold without windage. But I thought to myself, hmmm . . . these loads chronographed between 2850 and 2900 fps in another Sako, so might be just a hair low when using the 300 yard reference dot on the Leupold LR Duplex. So I held the dot a couple of inches above center. Obviously, that holdover was totally unnecessary, and as you can see in the second photo, the Presentation Super Deluxe passed this "test" with flying colors, hitting exactly where I held. Can't wait to sight it on game!

Presgong.jpg
8" Metal Gong at 300 yards

Last edited:
To minimize dust, dirt, debris I have had gun “bags” or sleeves made to carry my rifles in the vehicle & field. It also minimize scratches & dings as I rarely use a sling unless I anticipate long treks and slings can get in the way at times. These sleeves are from canvas with exterior elk hide for the tip to protect the crown & the canvas from tearing. On the interior I use a section of elk hide to prevent the rifle from slipping and for a good grip. Moisture proofing is an option. This has worked well for me for the last 20+ years & certainly keeps the rifle cleaner & protects it.
Just my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_9794.jpeg
    IMG_9794.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Well, it's not the 150+ whitetail buck or 200-pound wild hog that I had hoped for, but when a coyote shows itself it becomes the number 1 priority on my place. I had taken the Presentation Finnbear .30-06 to the blind for its maiden hunt this afternoon, hoping for some deer or hog action. But this fellow showed up just before sundown about 500 yards away. He appeared to be hunting mice in a grassy field and eventually worked his way as close to me as I thought he would come, so at about 300 yards I decided to give him a try. The bullet "whooshed" over the open field then there was a big KERRRRWHOP that floated back over the distance. No coyote was visible in the high grass, but nothing could be seen running off, either. Got down from the blind and hiked over there and sure enough, there lay one expired coyote. So far that Presentation Finnbear is one-for-one. Will see what tomorrow brings. By the way, for those of you who are nervous about shooting a pristine rifle, it went to and from the blind inside a well-padded case.

Steves cayote 11 23.jpg

To minimize dust, dirt, debris I have had gun “bags” or sleeves made to carry my rifles in the vehicle & field. It also minimize scratches & dings as I rarely use a sling unless I anticipate long treks and slings can get in the way at times. These sleeves are from canvas with exterior elk hide for the tip to protect the crown & the canvas from tearing. On the interior I use a section of elk hide to prevent the rifle from slipping and for a good grip. Moisture proofing is an option. This has worked well for me for the last 20+ years & certainly keeps the rifle cleaner & protects it.
Just my opinion.
Same here.......

I have long carried my nicer rifles to and from blinds or coyote sets in soft cases, of one form or another. In some cases I haul cased rifles into, and out of, blinds via a length of cord that I always carry. I've never fallen out of a blind/stand.......and don't plan on starting. Better safe than sorry.
Besides.........not much stalking done, here in North Texas.
17-PPCcoyote.jpg

Well, it's not the 150+ whitetail buck or 200-pound wild hog that I had hoped for, but when a coyote shows itself it becomes the number 1 priority on my place. I had taken the Presentation Finnbear .30-06 to the blind for its maiden hunt this afternoon, hoping for some deer or hog action. But this fellow showed up just before sundown about 500 yards away. He appeared to be hunting mice in a grassy field and eventually worked his way as close to me as I thought he would come, so at about 300 yards I decided to give him a try. The bullet "whooshed" over the open field then there was a big KERRRRWHOP that floated back over the distance. No coyote was visible in the high grass, but nothing could be seen running off, either. Got down from the blind and hiked over there and sure enough, there lay one expired coyote. So far that Presentation Finnbear is one-for-one. Will see what tomorrow brings. By the way, for those of you who are nervous about shooting a pristine rifle, it went to and from the blind inside a well-padded case.

View attachment 31884
Hi Stoney,
Great looking rifle and shot ! best of luck in this new season.
I am sure a nice Texas buck will come along soon & possibly
a hog. Erk Russell of Georgia football fame had a saying," GATA"
get after their asses!! All the best!! B/T

Last edited:
I almost forgot where we were.

Sadly, my one and only contribution to this group of lovelies...

Picked up because... well, it's a Sako, it is left-handed, in my favorite caliber..., .25-06, and it has decent wood. Fairly rare I've heard.

Hi Stoney,
Great looking rifle and shot ! best of luck in this new season.
I am sure a nice Texas buck will come along soon & possibly
a hog. Erk Russell of Georgia football fame had a saying," GATA"
get after their asses!! m All the best!! B/T
Bit of an aside...wife's a UGA grad, '83, roommate "hung out" with Herschel Walker. Sad to see the Dawgs get whooped by the Tide this year.

Latest posts

Back