• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

85 cross screw stainless

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

RavingDan

I lost one of the stock cross screws on my last moose hunt in Alaska, and am trying to find one.

Sako has discontinued these parts, and I have had no luck finding one in stock at a parts store.

Anyone have one for sale or know where I could find one?

You’re probably better off having a good gunsmith reproduce the cross stock screw (cross bolt) assembly. It’s not an overly complicated design, stainless threaded rod and two threaded end plugs . There are several good photos online for a pro to draw reference. If you can get your stock to a Smith for proper measurements it should be a pretty basic task. There simply doesn’t look like any replacements are available anywhere. Best of luck.

Edit: even better, and I failed to realize, is the fact you have a rifle with a second cross stock screw. So you have a sample for actual reproduction. Obviously the threaded stock may need to be slightly longer or shorter depending on actual stock thickness at the point the where the penetration is.

Last edited:
They didn't change the stock moving from 85 to 90, so I don't understand why it would be discontinued. Reading this forum I have come to understand Beretta USA is really reluctant to do.. well anything, but perhaps you can try to order a stainless cross screw for Sako 90 and be very outraged if they don't support their latest and greatest product? 🤔😁

Beretta USA proved themselves to be a disappointment.
I have a custom exhibition grade 85 whose stock broke at the wrist due to the grain running incorrectly. The figure was so heavy that I understand the mistake at the factory…kinda.
So, I sent it to Beretta USA last fall for replacement and, long story short, received the original components unannounced at my front door six months later rattling around and banging against each other in the box.
I decided to order a blank from Cecil out in Nevada and am having David’s Custom Gun Stocks out of Georgia replace it for me.
I suggest having a custom gunsmith do the work.

I have a custom exhibition grade 85 whose stock broke at the wrist due to the grain running incorrectly. The figure was so heavy that I understand the mistake at the factory…kinda.
So, I sent it to Beretta USA last fall for replacement and, long story short, received the original components unannounced at my front door six months later rattling around and banging against each other in the box.
I decided to order a blank from Cecil out in Nevada and am having David’s Custom Gun Stocks out of Georgia replace it for me.
Interesting
Did the stock break under use?
I often wonder about grain structure along the stress areas around the action and wrist. Sometimes pretty doesn’t mean strong?

Interesting
Did the stock break under use?
I often wonder about grain structure along the stress areas around the action and wrist. Sometimes pretty doesn’t mean strong?
I had only put 20 factory rounds through it prior to taking it hunting.
On opening morning, I had it slung over my shoulder while I proceeded to step on the first rung of the ladder stand and climb my way up. Next thing I know, the rifle is in two pieces dangling from my sling in the dark.
Luckily, it didn‘t bang against anything else or itself in the process.
The break at the wrist was perfect along the grain line.
It was determined by a number of stock makers that the stock blank was cut for beauty and not for function by utilizing the grain properly.
Indeed, in this instance, ”pretty” meant weak. Here’s a pic of it that very same morning after I raced home to swap it for something else and get back in the woods. 68996716994__A8A8C517-9744-4553-A603-DEBEA2E7EC34.jpeg

Hi Mr. Red wool!
You can see the grain in the wood is in the same plain as the break. I have used industrial grade epoxy to make repairs on many wood items, as the fix is stronger than the surrounding wood. Reinforcing rods should be installed ,bridging the wrist area to the butt stock along the grain line. The repair should not be very noticeable, as the grain of the wood is parallel to the break This is an example of the stock makers inattention to his craft. Best wishes, B/T

Latest posts

Back