• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Hello

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Speednut

Hi to all I have inherited one possibility 2 Sako"s and I am here to try to learn about them. So I will be reading and probably posting pictures to try and identify them. They were my Fathers I have shot them one is a .223 the other 22-250. The 22-250 I dont see Sako on it unless I just missed it. I believe it to be "customized" at some point my Father got it used in the early seventies. Was about to post pictures but says file to large so give me a minute to sort it out.

This is the 22-250 I shot it when I was 14-15 years old and was very impressed but it has been almost 50 years it has a very light trigger and a freefloating barrel.

That is not a Sako action nor a Sako stock, but rather a full custom gun built on a Mauser action with a Sako barrel. Sako sold barrels only, back in the 60's, & many gunsmiths used them to barrel various actions. I see it has a double set trigger!!

Your father's rifle is very much in the style of custom rifles built on Mauser actions back in the 1950's and 1960's. The double set trigger is unusual on such rifles, however, and is very desirable in my opinion.

By the way, when this rifle was built the .22-250 was probably still a "wildcat" cartridge made by individual handloaders necking down .250 Savage brass. It was not until about 1964 that Remington standardized the .22-250 and started making ammunition for it.

Back