• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako L579 in .243

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

annaje

Hi. I'm a new member. I just bought my first Sako, a Forester. I'm trying to get some information on it. It has a five digit serial number, beginning 63xxx. It's in wonderful condition, with only one small ding in the wood right by the receiver. Bore, bolt and blueing perfect. It's been fired, but not much. It's got rosewood foreend tip and cap on the pistol grip, and gorgeous fiddle back graining that runs through the entire stock. Rich mahogany color with a satin oil finish. I'd post pics if I knew how!

Barrel is marked Bofurs Steel.

The photo doesn't show it very well, but from the configuration of the stock it is a custom/replacement and not a factory Sako stock. However, it looks like a very nice one.

I don't think it's a replacement stock. I've seen a number of earlier Foresters with the same stock configuration, with very similar wood and graining, but none in this kind of condition. I tried to buy a .308 not too long ago that came up for sale that looked exactly like this one, except the stock was pretty dinged up. Looked like someone had fallen carrying it and scraped up the butt really good.

Are the stocks numbered on Sakos to match the receiver and the bolt? I have a Belgium Browning Safari and all parts are engraved with the serial number.

I'll try to come up with a better photo, maybe with my .35mm. I took this with a cheap digital, and it seems if I resize them down to upload them, all the clarity goes away.

Grizz here.

From what I can see in this photo, It looks like a Sako classic grade stock to me! Not an after market stock. No monti corlo rise but there should be a cheek piece on the opposite side I have one like only in

7MM Mag that I've hunted with for the last 25 years. Your Stock should have a rosewood grip cap.

The Sako classic stock does not have a monti carlo rise... It does have a cheek piece and a rosewood grip cap. Check it out. In the photo it sorta looks like it has the rosewood grip cap. Grizz

Grizz - the thing is, the rifle carries s/n in the 63k range, and is Bofors marked, so it was likely made in '66. Don't think the Classics came along until the 80s...

the thing is said:

To quote the late Ed McMahon, "you are correct sir" I finally realized this due to the fact that he said the stock had both a rosewood grip cap and for end cap. The Sako classic stock only has the rosewood grip cap. Grizz

The cheekpiece is different too, a more modern shape like the '80's era Sakos, or even M95s, or like Brownings, but not any older Sako. Still, nice piece of wood.

Latest posts

Back