• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako L579 Questions

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Banned
Hello, I'm new to the group and have a few questions about a 308 I got from a fellow at work. It's a L579 Serial number 37899. Could anyone tell me the age of this rifle? The fellow said his dad passed away in 1989 and he remembers him using it only once on a hunting trip. It has only had 14 rounds shot thru it. He gave me the original box of shells with six remaining. It is just like brand new & it has a scope that i have never heard of? It's a Realist 1.5 to 4.5 Any Ideas as to what this gun is worth? I gave $400 for it.... Thanks!

Ruggs - My best guess is that your rifle was made toward the end of '64. Value is a little harder to guess. If it's all original and in the shape you say, maybe $700, or a little more. Doubt if the scope has much value, but if it has the original Sako rings, they're worth $50-75 or so. Anyway, ya done good for $400. Bet it'll be a good shooter. How 'bout some pics?

Thank you for the info on my new rifle. I realy like it. I would,nt know if the rings were Sako or not. I'll have to look thru the pictures on this site to figure that out.. It doe's have the boofers (spelling?) mark on the barrel. All my other guns are brownings and i already had a BLR in the 308 so I almost did not buy it. But it was so clean i could,nt resist! I will be shooting it this weekend. I have a feeling it might be taking the place of my 69 Browning in the 243 cal (for hunting whitetail) which by the way was also made in Finnland

I will post some pictures tomorow Again thanks for the info as theres not to much on the web...

She looks like a real cream-puff. Looks to be all original, although I don't think those are original Sako ringmounts. Is the hood for the front sight present?

"There is NO front sight at all and there never was one as there is no dovetail or taped holes."

It would be extremely unusual to find a standard Sako sporter of this vintage without a front sight (although they came with no rear sight). The front sight during this period was sweated on, so someone may have removed it and the end of the barrel reblued -- either that or the barrel was cut. The barrel should measure 23 inches. What does yours measure?

That's odd as all my L579's have the front sight and cover. Sako strikes again! I would say your rifle would sell for 7 to 8 hundred dollars on Gunbroker any day of the week. Handmade rifles with Bofors stamped on the barrel is the holy grail of Sakodom. Regards, Rick.

Front ramp would have been silver soldered on. In this era, I think they all came with a front sight, unless special ordered without. How long is the barrel?

When i get home tonight i will measure the tube and respond back with the measurment. If it was removed then who ever did it was a pro because it looks mint. I know i am the second owner. The fellow i got it from said he was sure his Dad bought it new in the late 1960's. So when hayseed dated it at 1964 it all makes sence. His father really was not a hunter and only went one one hunting trip with it, so i don't belive he would have had any custom work done to it. So the mystery continues.....If it was ordered that way i would think it would be kinda rare. I realy don't care about how much it's worth as i see my self holding this one for a good long time and then passing it on to my son. heck i even find myself now scanning the net looking for more! LOL Is there a cure for that?

Hello Ruggs. I'm afraid you have caught the Sako bug.
emsmile.gif
You will need to be on the lookout for the lever gun, a few L61R magnums and some full stock Mannlichers. Then you'll be down to the really rare stuff.
emthup.gif
Regards, Rick.

Some one said gun broker on here. Dam them! there's a Sako L579 on there 243 in my own back yard (American Shooter Supply) $800 well at least i can view it in person! There is also some nice L579's but there close to $1,500 I do like the full stock version... Any more and i will have to sneak them into the house...

The barrel is 22" where it's shoulder meets the reciever and apx 23" if you count where it is threaded in to the reciever

Barrel length is distance from the closed boltface to crown. Sounds to me like you've got yourself a factory slickbarrel. Sweeeet

NICE FIND!!

And as a bonus it has the early version of release button for the magazine!!

And as stated earlier, there is absolutely no way back for you now!!
Welcome to total insanity!!

Jim

Ruggs- Back in the 60s, I can remember some promotional advertising for Sako's, since I was the only person I knew then that had one. The distributor (FI) offered the Foresters with plain barrels w/scope mounts or front sights with rear sight(Peep). The only Standard Forester I have seen with no sights is yours. I have several deluxes with and without front sights. The Realist scope is no stranger to me. I have seen a few of these in person and on the net.- Nice rifle in a great caliber.- Mike

Well I guess i stumbled across a good one... I'm glad he asked me if i was interested. The reason he did was because he heard i was buying quite a few guns because back in april my house burnt to the ground. But that's another story. So i have been shopping trying to replace the guns i lost. Luckly my son had a couple at his place like BSS and the 243 bolt and a grade 2 22auto. I never owned a sako before this one. and like i said earlyer i almost did not buy it. Come to find out he just told me that the "gun shop" he went to offered him $250 and the owner said he would probaly sell it for $350- $400. so i guess that's where he got the $400 figure for me...I'll have to ask him what shop that was so i never go there. Now about that realist scope? You have seen them before? Beleve it or not the view and picture is not that bad at all...Oh and i did shoot it this past weekend. it has a very nice trigger pull on it...Of course the scope was off a bit. But i will get it dialed in and keep it on the rifle. And YES i'm sure this is not going to be the only Sako i own! LOL I guess i'll have to get another cabinet one for the sako's that will surely be coming my way...

Ruggs- If I am not mistaken, the scope is Japan optics (usually very good). My pride and joy right now is a little Williams Twilight scope that I bought on a whim on Ebay. I was going to put it up on a rifle that I will be selling soon,but after using it, It will stay in my collection. I am real fond of Leupolds, but the optics on the Williams are the equal to my VX2 Leupolds not to mention the Nikons. To get better- I would have to lay out a lot more than the 57 bucks I paid for it. Well I guess it is about time to start downloading the manual for your rifle and reading all you can stand of the previouse posts (very good read but time consuming). Then you can get a really good camera so you can share more and better pictures of your latest Sako- and it goes on and on. - Best, Mike

Latest posts

Back