• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Windage adjustment with two piece optilocks

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Little update for those interested. I moved the front base as far back to rear of action as to line up with the port and it did correct about a foot of windage and it may be enouh to get by just from eye balling through barrel but that is with almost all of windage adjustment used on scope so i am still not satisfied. It’s just not right or the way it should be. I actually emailed eurooptics where bases rings were purchased to see if they have any input. Two other members from another site/forum had exact same problem one being same model rifle. I had intentions of buying bases rings from one and he refused to sell to me because he said they wouldn’t work ! I asked why and he said not enouh windage so i feel like it is the base that is off center. I did consider using a thinner piece of the plastic insert that protects scope on right side of scope. Even with that - again it’s not right and this rifle deserves “right”. So i will see what europtics has to say. In the mean time anyone have an older front base for sale in the optilock for L461 action ? Willing to give that a try as well. Thanks

https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/heads-up-i-think-i-recieved-optilock-knock-offs.13067/

Not sure if you saw this thread but you might be a subject of this too. How were your bases and rings packaged. If you got a set of clones that might be your answer.
This makes more sense to me. Even though these bases are geometrically patterned, it certainly could be the back base is miss aligngned due to the boss not aligning in the notch on the dovetail. Certainly could be an issue.

Several makers use the rear ring and base to provide windage adjustment via opposing jam screws. It’s possible an involuntary shift is occurring when the clamp is tightened, thus cocking the base at an angle.

Last edited:
Well fellas I’m going to
Pack the Optilocks up in a baggie - (all 3 sets of rings and the ring mounts and bases) and put the Leupolds and different scope back on. No response from eurooptics and the Sako mounts have left a bad taste in my mouth. One fine shooting rifle though even with a not so powerful scope. I certainly appreciate the responses and until i come
Up with something else i can live with rifle the way it is but it deserves better Thanks again

Just an update for anybody that has interest. I purchased a picatinny rail that will attach directly to dovetails on action - contessa - and some Burris zee rings in high. I am hoping that this will fix windage problem and give me enough clearance for scope bell at barrel. If this doesn’t work I’m gonna have a lot of bases and rings for sale ! Thanks for the input here guys and if all works out then this is gonna be a fine combination for a “one holer “ rifle

Good luck and I hope it works for you.

From my experiences the optiloc two piece bases should be pushed as far forward as they will go, then use the camp to hold into position. If not two things happen; one, you are relying on the clamp to hold into position so why would they be that long? Two, it will change windage, how much i never tried. I can lay it out mathematically if anyone is that interested but i am sure that is not the design intent.
The taper design helps keep them tight. When shooting the kick back pushed them forward, simple. Somewhere along the line i heard someone say they just tap them on with hammer and they have stayed tight for them. Not sure i trust that.
The Leupolds i use are too a bit tricky. They front sight is machined a bit to wide so most need to be mounted far forward. Making position of the front ocular sometimes difficult. I have also returned a set as they fell right off the front fully clamped.
There are mentions of some offset holes in possible knock offs or cheaply made optilocs which would certianly throw a monkey wrench in things.

Chris

Just an update for anybody that has interest. I purchased a picatinny rail that will attach directly to dovetails on action - contessa - and some Burris zee rings in high. I am hoping that this will fix windage problem and give me enough clearance for scope bell at barrel. If this doesn’t work I’m gonna have a lot of bases and rings for sale ! Thanks for the input here guys and if all works out then this is gonna be a fine combination for a “one holer “ rifle

I've looked at that rail system but have never tried it. I would think with the extra height of the rail and the high rings you should have no problem with front lens clearance. Let us know how it works out for you.

Rail and Burris zee high rings worked great. Plenty of height and absolutely no wind age problem now. Very solid base and looks pretty good too. Never used a picatinny rail setup but i like it. I could have actually used med rings and still be ok with clearance on bell of scope. I'm going to shoot this for a while and maybe replace with med rings down the road. It took a 4 shots to sight in and i shot 5 more times making one small hole. The low shot was first shot and all others were after one click up !! That's why i wanted this scope on this rifle

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 29
Rail and Burris zee high rings worked great. Plenty of height and absolutely no wind age problem now. Very solid base and looks pretty good too. Never used a picatinny rail setup but i like it. I could have actually used med rings and still be ok with clearance on bell of scope. I'm going to shoot this for a while and maybe replace with med rings down the road. It took a 4 shots to sight in and i shot 5 more times making one small hole. The low shot was first shot and all others were after one click up !! That's why i wanted this scope on this rifle
Hi: I see you ended up solving the issue with the rail and burris bases/rings. Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I am having a similar issue. I am using the optilock bases and rings (2 piece), I can install older Nikon and Bushnell scopes (3-9x40) and windage adjustment is minimal. When I install a new Nikon P5 4-16x42 I have the same issue as you, BUT if I install the Nikon P5 4-16x42 on another rifle (Tikka) the windage alignment is near perfect. It has something to do with the combo of the optilocks and that P5 scope. Thanks

Nice target and glad you have a some solution. Gremlins occasionally haunt us all. Tell us what ammo and conditions you made those holes.

Back