• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 FINNWOLF WON'T OPEN OCCASSIONALY

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I haven't suffered any damning problems with a FW that I couldn't rectify by asking a few experienced folks on the net. Problem that I had to come to grips with was a light hammer strike from a weakened spring. I just happened to see the uglier ramifications of a weak spring (lost small parts) by watching the forums and paying attention to what Marlin92 had to say. Then when it came down to needing a reassemble, I learned WITH my local gunsmith how to do that properly. He even went so far as to do an imprompto trigger job on it. We often learn to fear certain products due to a seeming large bad rap given some guns due to the easy access of the internet. I noticed one guy that had his problem appear in no less than 6 different forums. The problem he really had was buying a parts rifle and trying to come up with the rest of his needs. If I wished to use the fact that " They must be bad, they don't make them anymore", I guess I could then apply that failed logic to the L46.

I haven't suffered any damning problems with a FW that I couldn't rectify by asking a few experienced folks on the net. Problem that I had to come to grips with was a light hammer strike from a weakened spring. I just happened to see the uglier ramifications of a weak spring (lost small parts) by watching the forums and paying attention to what Marlin92 had to say. Then when it came down to needing a reassemble, I learned WITH my local gunsmith how to do that properly. He even went so far as to do an imprompto trigger job on it. We often learn to fear certain products due to a seeming large bad rap given some guns due to the easy access of the internet. I noticed one guy that had his problem appear in no less than 6 different forums. The problem he really had was buying a parts rifle and trying to come up with the rest of his needs. If I wished to use the fact that " They must be bad, they don't make them anymore", I guess I could then apply that failed logic to the L46.
The same logic would result in a modified or upgraded Finnwolf. Something equivalent to the L461. Sako gave up on the Finnwolf & it was just discontinued because of it's inherent design problems.

The same logic would result in a modified or upgraded Finnwolf. Something equivalent to the L461. Sako gave up on the Finnwolf & it was just discontinued because of it's inherent design problems.
That, plus low sales numbers. The design issues could have been dealt with by beefing up some of the parts - Sako actually built a prototype Magnum lever action. As far as is known, one rifle each was made in 7mm Remington and .375 H&H. The project failed, but Sako clearly thought they could build a stronger Finnwolf. However, like the Winchester Model 88 that it resembled, the Finnwolf never got much traction in the marketplace. Money speaks louder than words.

You need to look at Sako"s History a little about the why's and wherefores of the FW's demise. About the time it went Bye Bye was the start of the Garcia "Franchise". Seriously doubt that many of those fine Sako's were "upgraded". by the minds of Garcia. I never have cared for the changes they made with any of the Sakos. About the only weaknesses I have found with the FW is the stock design being a little weak at the wrist and a hammer spring that goes south if left in the cocked position too long. It just simply takes someone that appreciates something different than the old standby bolts and isn't afraid to try.

There is nothing wrong with liking the Finnwolf. Using it & collecting it are fine & fitting to those that choose to do so. To each his own. Owning them now, if you got them at past prices, can be an economic windfall. But to try to say it is a classic design with great features that many desire is a stretch. There have been several functional "flaws" mentioned already in this thread by those that own & collect them. Enough said.

I don’t really mean the gun is weak or that it’s not worthy of affection.
My first rifle was a model 250 Winchester.22
Which was reminiscent of the Finnwolf. Only in appearance of course. I got really good with that little gun, untold 1000’s of rounds thru it until it finally wore out (the bolt split down the middle)
The first Wolf I owned felt and handled similar save for the weight of course. Curved lever , short throw
After three rounds at the range that wolf hung up and refused to cycle. I used a Rod to knock the brass out . Handloads from one of my L579’s was the first point of blame. After a talk with a good friend, I went back with some factory ammo and tried again. I got 5rounds down range and it hung up again. I gave up on it and it quickly found a new home.
Later I came across another, which I found had a cracked stock ( back of inlet above the wrist) so I never fired it, bye bye to that one too.
The last was a gorgeous .243 in near mint condition. Factory ammo again, hung up on the 3rd round…I was done.
That was the only flaw .. if a gun won’t run I have no need for it..that’s all
Bolt action for me from then on as far as Sako’s go.

You need to look at Sako"s History a little about the why's and wherefores of the FW's demise. About the time it went Bye Bye was the start of the Garcia "Franchise". Seriously doubt that many of those fine Sako's were "upgraded". by the minds of Garcia. I never have cared for the changes they made with any of the Sakos. About the only weaknesses I have found with the FW is the stock design being a little weak at the wrist and a hammer spring that goes south if left in the cocked position too long. It just simply takes someone that appreciates something different than the old standby bolts and isn't afraid to try.
The Garcia thing .. during the early seventies, there was a big popularity rising towards auto loading rifles..Remington 742’s and Browning Bars were selling like hot cakes…Garcia missed the boat with Sako’s A 100 auto…just Sayin!

Peace

There is nothing wrong with liking the Finnwolf. Using it & collecting it are fine & fitting to those that choose to do so. To each his own. Owning them now, if you got them at past prices, can be an economic windfall. But to try to say it is a classic design with great features that many desire is a stretch. There have been several functional "flaws" mentioned already in this thread by those that own & collect them. Enough said.
My mind keeps going back to the fact that the Old Founding Fathers of the SCA chose the FW to be it's "Commemorative" model of excellence. Those old boys had a reason for it and it wasn't because they thought it wasn't well designed. An outstanding facet of their era, they had the advantage of taking a while to think things through and come up with a solutionif a bad thing happened to their rifle. This forum is kind of a "dumping ground" of last resort for those that need help with a problem. Beings that I had years of experience in troubleshooting problems that might fall under the guise of Warranty, If I didn't take a few reality checks frequently, I would have quit because I could reason that all Andersen Windows were crap due to the numbers of complaints I recieved, annually. Now with that said, I would have much rather they chose the L46.

Beings that I had years of experience in troubleshooting problems that might fall under the guise of Warranty.
Lol!
Wouldn’t it be cool if we did all work in the Sako warranty dept! Tech services!
All in our cubicles .. answering calls and emails, rolling our eyes at those same ol problems and questions……throwing stale donuts and paper airplanes at each other.

Hello Sako Tech Services “…
Hey .. I have a Sako that I’m pretty sure is Pre-Bofors, because it has no stamp … does the stamp have to be on the barrel or can it be like.. on the trigger or maybe the trap door thingy? Can you help?”
“Yes sir ! Let me transfer you to one of our qualified associates “

…..”paulson ..line two!”:p

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG. Now I know why you got 3 bad FWs in a row. I think the "OLD BOY" is upset because of all the extra wives. You might have squeeked by with just a couple extras. You might buy the one on GI. You could make a .358 or a .348 out of it. I have plans.

Yeah
I squeak by a lot…:D

Ok..for Mitch..or whatever you end up name wise to protect your self from internet fraud and such.
The Finnwolf is a rare bird. It has a huge “following”
To collectors and shooters. It has issues as noted, BUT! To you .. it can be a “gun worth having “
If it be your desire to partake in the endeavor of learning from those here who are willing to help you with the knowledge they’ve gained in affection to the Finnwolf, you can get the help you need here. Your problem can be resolved eventually whether it’s a simple task of a tailored round or or something more tedious and painstaking like springs flying everywhere..up to you bro.
Regardless, the rifle has merit and value. You won’t have any problem selling it to “Someone who wanted more than you did”

Good luck however it goes!

Anyone who has taken a wolf apart will know flying springs are non existent. I find it amazing how the experts are always those who have never owned/used something or never work on something.
In my humble opinion the biggest detriments to any firearm are
not properly maintaining and cleaning them and reloaders who do not know what they are doing. As with any firearm that is bought used we are at the mercy of how the previous owners treated it, and the honesty of them when they resell it.

Anyone who has taken a wolf apart will know flying springs are non existent. I find it amazing how the experts are always those who have never owned/used something or never work on something.
In my humble opinion the biggest detriments to any firearm are
not properly maintaining and cleaning them and reloaders who do not know what they are doing. As with any firearm that is bought used we are at the mercy of how the previous owners treated it, and the honesty of them when they resell it.
I don’t think of myself as an expert. If I did I’d probably still have a Finnwolf! I’m very sorry if I came off like one. Only my opinion as a layman. If it ain’t broke .. don’t fix it. If it is..call someone who knows how to fix it or be shed of it completely and replace it (if needed) with something that functions the way you expect it to.

I am going to blame all of this on Chuck Connors. If it wouldn't have been for the "nimrods" trying to play Rifleman with the FW, none of these foibles would have become apparent. Now I rest my typing forfingers. You are forgiven "squ----oops, I mean Hippie. PS-don't buy any more FW from the "western reinactment forums".

I would definitely need to bulk up in order to spin cock a finnwolf, probably hit myself in the head. Always wanted the little trigger guard attachment that Lucus had, it would be a lot of fun.

Always wanted the little trigger guard attachment that Lucus had, it would be a lot of fun.
Back in the days of cowboy Westerns on TV, there was a toy lever-action Winchester with one of those little flip-out gadgets to trip the trigger when you cocked the rifle. I had one. Never seen one on a real gun, though.

Latest posts

Back