• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

How to make bolt stop ejector springs

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

gunner620

I have provided images depicting making bolt stop ejector springs. You will notice a wire forming block with 2 pins that are .100 ths. Space between pins is .050 ths. One pin is shorter than the other to allow the circular forming of the spring eye. Bend 35 degree angle first and then form the eye. Then, straighten the wire legs until they are parallel, place it over the long pin, and complete the other angle. (Note:) This is the basic form where magazine lock springs can be made for the P72 and M78 rifles. (May fit other P-Series rifles) Continuing with the bolt stop spring: Place the open ends of the legs in the extractor groove of a 30.06 case and form the contact leg for the spring tensioning. Next, use needle nose pliers and bend the contact arm slightly down to give clearance for the ejector. Next is: place the form over the 90 degree bending tool and bend the 90 degree angle. (Note:) The 90 degree bend that protrudes into the ejector should be approx. .150 ths. Cut the other leg as required for the bolt stop assembly. See image examples to see what the form should look like. Once all adjustments to spring are complete, follow the stress relieving instructions on the wire pack. Jim

Attachments

• Bolt Stop Spring step 1.JPG
    Bolt Stop Spring step 1.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Bolt Stop Spring forming eye step 2.JPG
    Bolt Stop Spring forming eye step 2.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 90
  • Bolt Stop Spring Leg Form step 3.JPG
    Bolt Stop Spring Leg Form step 3.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Bolt Stop Spring forming clearance step 4.JPG
    Bolt Stop Spring forming clearance step 4.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 86
  • Bolt Stop Spring tension forming step 5.JPG
    Bolt Stop Spring tension forming step 5.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Bolt Stop Spring, forming 90 degree.  Step 7.JPG
    Bolt Stop Spring, forming 90 degree. Step 7.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Bolt stop springs, formed.  Step 8.JPG
    Bolt stop springs, formed. Step 8.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 93
Similar to how I make mine, except I used a wood block and several nails. Then bend it all in one hit. Cut off excess. Your done. Made for me by a piano tuner. I sent one to someone in the US but never heard back how he got on. I know all the ones I use in mine work perfect.

Pete

Wow, there's a piece of information that I hope I never have to use - but I'm sure glad it's there. Thanks for posting!

lcebear,I have never had one fail either but they do occasionally . I have made springs for quit a few of the forum members when they had a need also magazine lock springs for the P72 and M78 for a few and I don't even have any Sako rimfires. I have made the form and they finished the long leg length and stress relieving on those. Have had no complaints. Jim

I've just finished installing one of four of gunner620's ejector/bolt stop springs that are now in my possession. the first two I received were are not quite finished: the final turn on the short end of the wire that inserts into the ejector blade to anchor the spring was deliberately left unexecuted, for the sake of easy mailing in a flat paper envelope. but before those two had even arrived here, however, another two ejector springs were generously shipped out to me, both of which are entirely finished, heat treated and ready for installation. it was one of these latter two that I installed this morning, without undue difficulty. I have cycled one live round (in a safe environ) to test the ejection and it functions exactly as it should. the bolt also stops where it should now, instead of sliding all the way back out of the receiver.
I would be happy to donate one of the extra springs to anyone out there who might ever need one for an L61R, compliments of gunner620. thank you, Jim, with much respect for your skill and generosity!

My post on making the bolt stop ejector springs, just wondering if anyone has made any using the method shown. Haven't seen anyone in a while needing one.

gunner620, bumppo here.
I haven't made any new springs from the pattern you provided.
I just want to notify that the one made by your hands that you mailed to me almost a year ago is still working like a new one from the factory.
spring lambs are hopping and skipping here....
hope you are well...
thanks.

Thanks for the reply and glad the lambs are doing well. How many this year? Glad the Sako is well also.

Stay well and hope you have great year.

Latest posts

Back