• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New to the small actions. What vintage should i be looking at?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I do like the AI rifles in look and feel but do either l461 or AI stand out in accuracy?
Over the life of the L461/AI action, barrels on the standard guns got heavier once or twice. There are people on this forum who can provide more detail on that - I don't know exactly when the changes were made or whether the AI barrels were heavier than the late L461. It might be that statistically, the AI is, on average, more accurate than the L461, but this variation would likely be less than sample variation between individual guns. If your top consideration is accuracy, my advice would be to look for a heavy barrel version of either model.

definitely considering a 22wmr sako. Is 223 not a good stand in for 222? the price of ammo is in favor of .223, there are a full stock A rifle and a L461 available in my local gunshop in 223. The full stock is 2.4k tho as it has actually never been shot outside of the factory, kept in a local collection.
I would love to see some pictures of that carbine if your local shop would allow it.

I would love to see some pictures of that carbine if your local shop would allow it.
2500 euro with the zeiss scope. .223 chambered. Shop keeps it in a glass case. Out of my budget unfortunately.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240304-080142~2.png
    Screenshot_20240304-080142~2.png
    613.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20240304-080050~2.png
    Screenshot_20240304-080050~2.png
    627.3 KB · Views: 18
Arian, I reread your posts and it looks like you've thought it through and a heavy barrel in 223 fits your needs economically. Why not go with that in either an L461 or A series based on price and condition. After all, if you do that you are following your own gut, and that will usually make you the happiest. Good luck and send us pictures when you get it.

Arian, I reread your posts and it looks like you've thought it through and a heavy barrel in 223 fits your needs economically. Why not go with that in either an L461 or A series based on price and condition. After all, if you do that you are following your own gut, and that will usually make you the happiest. Good luck and send us pictures when you get it.
hey, yea i did feel like a heavy barrel 223 would be good but iam so new to guns that i dont trust my gut yet, most of what i know is from historical data, The M39 was extremely good so i almost bought one. Until someone let me compare it to a newer Husqvarna in person and it turned out that its all relative to context (war time infantry rifle vs 30 years newer hunting rifle).

.223 is not what people tend to use here (in my club). But 22wmr and 308 (the popular choises for Hunters) both seem to be lacking for the use case but iam very ignorant on ballistics and have to consider that if 10 other local hunters giggle when i mention 223 for hunting small game (instead of 22wmr) i may be missing something. Not to mention iam new to all the sako models. I liked every A series rifle i have held tho and i honestly trust an American more than i trust a Finn when it comes to knowing about calibers for the simple fact that over here we dont usually get to actually try out different calibers, mosin was good for their grandfather, 30-06 was good for their father, so 308 is good for them 30 cal for everything. The main argument i get is that speed destroys meat and that they would rather shoot a 9.3x62 at a hare than a 223. But it seems like that is a massive oversimplification.

As for the .22wmr, the older P/M series Sakos seem to be thin on the ground even in the motherland.
Have a look and feel of a Tikka T1x in your your travels, very nice rimfires.

As for the .22wmr, the older P/M series Sakos seem to be thin on the ground even in the motherland.
Have a look and feel of a Tikka T1x in your your travels, very nice rimfires.
Alot of guys here use those. Too new for me 😂 i like my guns with some patina. P/M series are plenty available in my area but mostly 22lr and that seems a little light to me. Plenty of CZ used and new, would be my second choise if a sako doesnt pan out. 17hmr seems to be the superior caliber out of The available rimfires tho, if i went newer that would be my bet. Il have to see if husqvarna made any 22wmr, never encountered one. I love huskies as well.

heres hoping my permit comes through quickly! that looks about perfect

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240304-133704~2.png
    Screenshot_20240304-133704~2.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 18
heres hoping my permit comes through quickly! that looks about perfect
Looks good. The Burris is a quality scope. It appears the ad in Finnish was translated to English by machine. We don't often use binoculars on a rifle, and the Finnish for a scope mount translates into English as legs (actually, feet is a better fit).

Looks good. The Burris is a quality scope. It appears the ad in Finnish was translated to English by machine. We don't often use binoculars on a rifle, and the Finnish for a scope mount translates into English as legs (actually, feet is a better fit).
The burris is a bit ill suited for our hunting here but iam sure it Will Be worth a penny if i would sell it No legal hunting hours here so anything smaller than 50mm is unpopular. 3-12x56 is the gold standard. most deer are taken after sunset or before, and hare hunts are best around midnight

Latest posts

Back