• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

NIB Action

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Moose Horn or more correctly, Antler, is a fickle master. It is almost alive and what you cut, you have to seal, right away before atmospheric conditiond change. Also, as you relieve internal stresses, tou have to always make a last spring-pass or lighter cut to take the wow out of it. Miserable stuff but very rewarding. My best friend got married and I made a moose horn jewellery box as a wedding present and it almost drove me to drink! 60 hours later the inside of the box was sealed/ finished with revlon cleargloss so his wife could maintain the finish. The side boards, made from the Lapio, or shovel of the antlers had the wonderful blood patina, and only the pale internal colour where the box-jointed corners were hollow-ground with the end roller of a belt sander.
A moose horn bedding block!
Cool idea!
The blurry pics are a bummer, but the butt pad looks well done…Awesome craftsmanship!
You can take the Finlander out of Finland but you will never get the Finland out of the Finlander.

I have worked with antler material (Deer) making knife handles and scales. You are right , as it breathes and changes almost like wood. Shrinkage and warping is common. I assumed that possibly moose antler, depending on its original mass and cross sectional area that possibly the non-porous material towards the outside is possibly the most stable.

Just curious if anyone has worked with mammoth.
Pic below is a neat mammoth tusk 'fossil' purchased in Anchorage a few years ago for $60.
You can get mammoth across the border.
I assume though that one would need the white unweathered mammoth for craftsmanship.
I brought a buddy a few piece to use on the wonderful long bows he makes.

Attachments

• IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 13
Yeah,moose horn has a loy of porosity, it just depends where and how you take it. Big beams can be squared-up like timber on the milling machine with a flycutter. Mammoth would be neat.

Latest posts

Back