• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Pee Fifty-Phoria

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Good idea! Chasing minor variations in Sakos could mess with your mind, not to mention your pocketbook.

No, the P57 was listed in the shipping records as a .22 LR, not a Hornet. But I'd love to know what made it different.

I remember now, I was confusing that with the P75 which was 22 hornet only.

I did a little looking on here and came across a couple older threads. Seems like you guys think it was a prototype or a pre production model of the P54T.
The pictures posted by that one member look just like a regular P54T.

I then found this thread, where a member posted that they used to have a "P57 varmint single shot"
I then looked at the pictures posted in the one thread and it does not appear to have a magazine.
So could it be that the P57 was a single shot version of a P54T, made just before the P54T came out?
Post #9 in the following thread.

However he goes on to say in post #12, that there were repeater and single shot versions of it. So the single shot theory goes out the window.

So it appears to be some type of a variation of the P54. We will probably never know exactly what it was.
So with that said, unless one falls into my lap, I will probably not spend any time/energy trying to seek one out since it seems to be just a variation.
I already have 3 P54's. I have a early model sporter with the P54 in a circle on top of the receiver and no scope rails. Then a late model sporter with P54 on the side of the receiver and dovetail cut into the receiver (and the receiver mounted peep sight), and lastly the P54T.
That rounds out the P54's for me.

The earliest P54’s (and 46’s) were round top models, only having provisions for the optional peep sight. Mine is numbered 238xx . It has the SAKO P54 circle stamp on top. Much like the L46 the receiver side is stamped Riihimaki along with the ser no. The trigger is two stage and adjustable. The barrel stamp indicating caliber simply says “.22”
My later model, # 378xx is grooved, no circle stamp, and P54 is stamped on the side. Trigger is still two stage but refined and much smoother and lighter. Barrel stamping for caliber on it is .22 long rifle, with Bofors Steel stamped on the opposite side were one usually expects to find it. Two slightly different trigger designs .. I’ll try to get some photos of these two triggers soon.

The P57T shown here is numbered 28xxx , I believe is marked Riihimaki on the side, but, is also grooved for a scope. The heavy barrel models before the P57T were marketed as target models known as the P54T with the round top and peep sight.
Could it be that the grooved receiver came about the same time as the P57T stamping?
I also see that Sako stamped the barrel across the barrel, like we are accustomed to seeing the typical caliber stamping.
Sako…always something different!
I love it!

So it seems .. after a bit of research, the 54 T model came along around 1958. It appears that the grooved receiver and heavy barrel along with the target stock with beaver tail forearm could have been introduced with the P57R’s and P57T’s. My record page shows P54 T models inspected from ‘63 to ‘71 , but few in comparison to the standard P54 sporter

Last edited:
IMG_3456.jpeg
So here are the trigger assemblies…until they were side by side , I’d not noticed how different they are. IMG_3457.jpeg
IMG_3458.jpeg
Not as good as the modern single stage trigger like on the P94, but very usable once you get used to it.

Something else I’ve noticed is that Sako did not number the bolt to match the gun. At least the two I have are not. They are interchangeable, tho the newer model has a much stronger spring..

Last edited:
Yours mimics mine.
I too have a early and late P54, and they have the same triggers as yours.
We have also seen some trigger variations in the P72 models, with 2 or 3 different styles known.
I have a early P72 with one style of trigger, and a later one with a different style.
The style on the later P72 is the same as all my M78 models, and are self contained units not too very different from the P94S.
I have re worked the trigger in my P94S and it breaks at a few ounces.

Went to the range today for a bit of rimfire therapy…. IMG_3686.jpeg

After a little warm up (which explains the cover stickers on the left target)
50 yrds…P54 Deluxe
Federal Champion (left) 5 shots
Blazer target (right) 5 shots

Last edited:
Well done. Your previous posts show lots of parts and rimfire models. Which one made those targets? Pic of the rifle(s) welcome!

IMG_3685.jpeg
Today just this one

Earlier today I posted this same photo on another thread in reference to scope fitment with Sako rimfires (vintage).
It was mentioned that the Burris was not as forgiving in eye relief. Which is true, but it obviously does hurt accuracy.
Something else I was able to test was the “5 power / 100yrd duplex range trick” (for lack of a better name)
Thus far, with both Burris mini’s and Leupold in 3-9 variables, power ring set @ 5x … the bottom point on the duplex is dead on for 100 yards.
I put 9 rounds in a 3” circle..the 10th sent a soda bottle I set on top of the target frame, top facing me , flying. I missed hitting the red lid by an inch or so.
It was a good day !

Bloo

Last edited:
Good shooting Bloo. I’ve been anxious & bored waiting for cool weather & the coming season, but youve now motivated me to go to the range soon to put a couple of .22’s through some exercises. Hope to post something assuming the rifles remember their job.

Good shooting Bloo. I’ve been anxious & bored waiting for cool weather & the coming season, but youve now motivated me to go to the range soon to put a couple of .22’s through some exercises. Hope to post something assuming the rifles remember their job.
Thank you Spaher.
It was a good cool day here today, well, cooler anyway. 80’s w/ low humidity.
I needed to smell some gunpowder.. these little guns are easy to enjoy at low cost.
I cross my fingers for a cool day for you !
It’s always fun to see what new exercises you come up with. Please do share when you can.
Same for the rest of you pee shooter’s .
Get out there and have some fun! Share your results!
How bout you Stonecreek? Have you got that P46 to shoot yet?🤔

How bout you Stonecreek? Have you got that P46 to shoot yet?🤔
Like Spaher, the 100+ temperatures haven't been conducive to doing much shooting. I haven't worked with the little P46 any more, but I did venture out early one morning a week or two ago to check out a Walther .22 Hornet I came by recently (it did great).

At the same short session I zeroed my P54. It is a round top that came D&T with 3/4" Weaver ring mount holding an ancient 4x Weaver. The old Weaver seemed to hold zero okay, but the sight picture was like looking through a Sahara dust storm. So I went "hunting" on the internet for one of the fine old Redfield 3/4" tube mini scopes to replace the Weaver and found one at a reasonable price. It took only a couple of shots to get it zeroed and the 50-yard groups, especially for a 90 degree morning with mirage showing up, were encouraging.

Understood, I know you guys have been roasting out there this summer. It’s been hot here in the mountains with humidity levels that make it worse. No triple digits yet…
The Walther sounds cool..
I seem to recall that your P 54 was also threaded?
If so..what is the thread pitch? (If you don’t mind my asking)

Last edited:
View attachment 30701
Today just this one

Earlier today I posted this same photo on another thread in reference to scope fitment with Sako rimfires (vintage).
It was mentioned that the Burris was not as forgiving in eye relief. Which is true, but it obviously does hurt accuracy.
Something else I was able to test was the “5 power / 100yrd duplex range trick” (for lack of a better name)
Thus far, with both Burris mini’s and Leupold in 3-9 variables, power ring set @ 5x … the bottom point on the duplex is dead on for 100 yards.
I put 9 rounds in a 3” circle..the 10th sent a soda bottle I set on top of the target frame, top facing me , flying. I missed hitting the red lid by an inch or so.
It was a good day !

Bloo
WOW!!! This rifle is a beauty!!

Last edited:
In the world of the Sakohaulic…I am truly a fiend. I simply cannot stop. I’ll work hard at doing things to keep my mind off of them, but I fail.
Up till just a few weeks ago , I was clean, I’d not bought or traded any more and was quite satisfied with my stash. It sustained me and I felt so free.
I come here , to this forum, this club, to socialize with people like me and to help those who are struggling. But the Peer pressure here is something I can’t overcome. I just can’t….

So…View attachment 30038View attachment 30039
….yeah , you guys remember!
P54 Deluxe , (cir. 1964) Factory Records list it as a single order to an individual. (yeah..I caved , but it gets worse..)
Once I got the rifle in hand..gathered my range bag and some ammo to go get my first “fix”

View attachment 30040View attachment 30041
I think I blacked out for a while, only remember finding two empty boxes of Blazer .22 and spent brass Everywhere!
Total Relapse…

Some time went by .. I was loosing sleep and weakened from countless hours of gun fondling and cleaning. I started looking more at Sako rimfire rifles of old.
My only rimfire to this point was a P94s , and it shoots very well. In comparison to the P54 , it feels like a club. The triggers are light , and comparatively crisp.
The open sights are a welcome challenge as I’d not shot anything without a scope for decades.
It’s just freaking awesome!!!!

So then…what does a Sakohaulic do when they have one rifle that becomes a favorite?

View attachment 30042View attachment 30043
Exactly!
You buy another one!!!!
View attachment 30044
I was able to stay conscious this time around…

The Arctic Birch stocked rifles have always attracted my interest. The Finns refer to Birch stocked rifles as Domestic, as the wood is abundant , strong and attractive. Walnut (French or European) is nice , but the look of Birch is signatory with Vintage Sako Firearms.

Anyways…Enjoy!
I gotta run right now, making a run for more .22 lr ammo
I made a new sign too!
View attachment 30045

Another extra nice beauty!

Latest posts

Back