• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Re-conditioning a Sako L57, curiosities abound...

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

lawnsausage

I just picked up an older L57 chambered in .240 PSP (I know, pain in the ass to deal with ammo but its fine I will be reloading I have the RCBS dies for it). Its very cool gun but needs some love. Recoil pad is compressed and turning to powder, its got several scuffs and scratches I am going to take out, When i took the recoil pad off, I noted that the stock was hand engraved under there with "Eliss Schultz" or "Elias Schultz". Couldn't come up with the exact name in my limited search. Also the barrel is a WK Welker out of Seattle in really great condition. Serial number is #9689 on receiver, bolt. Anyone who knows the Sako, Welker, and either the stock is engraved with prior owner name, or its the custom shop guys name, or its maybe Schultz and Larsen? Anyone have history or any back story on this config? Figured it would be a fun rifle to restore, try to get the stock looking new, new recoil pad (not the guy on ebay that wants $120 for one! lol). Anyways check out the pics, this is all pre-work, happy to share when I get done as well. My 3rd Sako in the family. Have two 85's, one a Hunter in 25-06, the other a Deluxe in 7mm Rem. This will be my antelope gun out in southern Oregon. Will be rescoping it as well. The Redfield on there has some issues, its not wanting to turn freely and probably not worth the bucks to repair it. Plus I have a Leupold hookup being from Portland!

Attachments

• IMG_2940.jpeg
    IMG_2940.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2997.jpeg
    IMG_2997.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2996.jpeg
    IMG_2996.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2995.jpeg
    IMG_2995.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2994.jpeg
    IMG_2994.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2991.jpeg
    IMG_2991.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2941.jpeg
    IMG_2941.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
That's a very good-looking custom rifle. Stock looks like tiger maple. I never heard of 240 PSP but there must be something to be said for it, because somebody spent a lot of money building that rifle! You should be able to come up with a pad like the one on there without any trouble - looks like Pachmayr to me. Or you could fit a Pachmayr Old English pad. Since it's a custom stock, there's no need to try to mimic a Sako part.

As long as you're replacing the scope anyway, I'd replace the Leupold rings with period Sako rings. Or even better, that custom gun would look great with a set of Conetrols. PITA to install, but once you get them set up they look fantastic.

The name under the buttplate looks like "Elisa" to me.

You're going to have one really nice Sako there when you get it finished. Keep us posted and let us know how it shoots.

Reactions: ERP
Thanks yeah it’s tiger maple for sure! The towers on there now are Burris. And yeah that’s a very old and crusty pachmayr white line. Got the kids spring break starting this Friday so not going to get into this project for a few weeks but will definitely show the progress on the stock! May be doing a bit of manual cleanup and re-pointing the checkering too. Once upon a time someone spent some bucks on making this. I got it pretty cheap probably because it’s a 240 PSP and you can’t buy rounds for it, unless you want to fire 6mm/.244 through it which is in theory ok I have read and been told…

Reactions: ERP
The engraved name in the butt could likely be the name of the custom stock's maker. That style stock was popular back in the 1960's. Like Icebear said, just use the recoil pad of your choice as the stock is a custom & the factory stock used a plastic buttplate, so there is nothing to mimic. If it were mine, I would whittle a ton of wood off the grip cap end, the cheek piece, & square forearm & give it a more modern, streamlined look, as well as cut some weight. Just a touch of a spirit stain to highlight that figure wouldn't be a bad idea, either. Post some pics of your progress. Good luck!

I just picked up an older L57 chambered in .240 PSP (I know, pain in the ass to deal with ammo but its fine I will be reloading I have the RCBS dies for it). Its very cool gun but needs some love. Recoil pad is compressed and turning to powder, its got several scuffs and scratches I am going to take out, When i took the recoil pad off, I noted that the stock was hand engraved under there with "Eliss Schultz" or "Elias Schultz". Couldn't come up with the exact name in my limited search. Also the barrel is a WK Welker out of Seattle in really great condition. Serial number is #9689 on receiver, bolt. Anyone who knows the Sako, Welker, and either the stock is engraved with prior owner name, or its the custom shop guys name, or its maybe Schultz and Larsen? Anyone have history or any back story on this config? Figured it would be a fun rifle to restore, try to get the stock looking new, new recoil pad (not the guy on ebay that wants $120 for one! lol). Anyways check out the pics, this is all pre-work, happy to share when I get done as well. My 3rd Sako in the family. Have two 85's, one a Hunter in 25-06, the other a Deluxe in 7mm Rem. This will be my antelope gun out in southern Oregon. Will be rescoping it as well. The Redfield on there has some issues, its not wanting to turn freely and probably not worth the bucks to repair it. Plus I have a Leupold hookup being from Portland!
Nice wood....

BIRD'S EYE MAPLE!, great piece of timber looks great, but it is a tough wood to checker!! best of luck! B/T

Latest posts

Back