• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Receiver screws.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

J.S

Good evening. I bough a sako mauser in 8.2x57 some time ago and I have been wondering about the two screws on the right side of the rear receiver, which get blocked by the stock. I presume these are factory as they are indentical to the scope base screws. Were these side holes meant for an aperture sight of some kind or what?

That is probably the case. I would guess that the holes are an original feature of the action as made in Belgium. It would make sense for the action to be pre-drilled for an aperture sight. However, it's hard to be sure without seeing exactly where they are. A photo would help.

Yes I believe the holes were made by FN too. I'll take a picture of those screws tomorrow. Would be nice to know what type of sight these might have supported.

This forum thing is new to me, how does one post a picture here?

This forum thing is new to me, how does one post a picture here?
When you are composing a post, click on the icon that looks like a picture of mountains and the sun. That will allow you to select a photo from your computer and post it. You will also have an option to display the full photo or just a thumbnail that the reader can click on to see the full-size photo.

Sorry this took so long. Forgot I promised to go berry picking with my family for couple of days. These are the holes I meant.
...2.jpeg

Those screw holes are for mounting a receiver sight, or what some call a peep sight, to the rear action bridge. Several companies make sights to fit the Mauser & that hole spacing.

That's right, the Lyman 48 was made in a special model called the 48FN, that was different than the ones they made for military-based mausers (the 48M). The FN perfectly fit the contours of the commercial receiver.
Rex

Reactions: J.S
That's right, the Lyman 48 was made in a special model called the 48FN, that was different than the ones they made for military-based mausers (the 48M). The FN perfectly fit the contours of the commercial receiver.
Rex
Thanks alot! Now I just have to find one from Europe or some seller willing to ship here. Not sure if I dare to cut the original stock for such sight though, even if this rifle is quite heavily used with scratches, dings and some tear out in the stock, clearcoat missing in couple of places, but only 3 minor scratches on the barrelled action, faded bluing on the bolt knob and shoots nicely. Might end up making new lookalike factory stock with some small modifications like a palm swell and minute grip geometry changes. The factory stock is nice and sleek looking so worth to replicate, but quite cramped to get behind, especially in the pistol grip area.

Thanks alot! Now I just have to find one from Europe or some seller willing to ship here. Not sure if I dare to cut the original stock for such sight though, even if this rifle is quite heavily used with scratches, dings and some tear out in the stock, clearcoat missing in couple of places, but only 3 minor scratches on the barrelled action, faded bluing on the bolt knob and shoots nicely. Might end up making new lookalike factory stock with some small modifications like a palm swell and minute grip geometry changes. The factory stock is nice and sleek looking so worth to replicate, but quite cramped to get behind, especially in the pistol grip area.
The Lyman 48FN is contoured to avoid having to cut the stock, at least not very much. Some of the early Lyman 48Ms (called "full block" models) required a lot of wood to be removed. That was changed in later versions. There are some very good photos of the Lyman 48FN in this sold eBay listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1342254160...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
There is also a Lyman 57FN as well as a Redfield version (80M) that don't require much, if any stock wood to be cut. The Lyman 57SME also fits with little or no wood removal.
Good luck in your search,
Rex

Latest posts

Back