• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Hi Power

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Nice pair of rifles with good European scopes. What calibers? And is that a Schmidt & Bender on the Sako?

You are right it’s Schmidt&Bender 1-4 ; cal of gun 8x57js; (of some strange reason with micro rifling)
The M-S rifle is 6,5x54 with a Pecar (2 3/4) scope

The Pecar scope incl detachable mount from wellknown gunsmith Olsson in Klippan (Sweden)
The Pecar scope incl detachable mount from wellknown gunsmith Olsson in Klippan (Sweden)

Attachments

• IMG_9565.jpeg
    IMG_9565.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 23
A beautiful rifle with fantastic wood. Thanks for posting.

So you are in Sweden? Are you familiar with the custom gun builder Folke Dahlberg?

No, I am in Finland……lived in Egypt for 30+ years and worked with Sako from 1985-89…..
Folke Dahlberg I probably read abt in some Swedish hunting magazines. The guy whom I referred to died 2012. Up till then he was considered the best in Sweden.

the caliber not suitable for shooting gazelles in the Egyptian desert for which it was intended.
Why was the caliber unsuitable? Not enough power? Not able to reach long ranges in the desert? How large are the gazelles in Egypt and at what range would you expect to shoot them?

Why was the caliber unsuitable? Not enough power? Not able to reach long ranges in the desert? How large are the gazelles in Egypt and at what range would you expect to shoot them?
The MS 1903 carbine uses a 160 grain bullet with moderate speed (680-700m/sec).
Excellent for ”normal” hunting up to 150 or max 200m……… the methods in Egypt was to shoot the dorcas gazelles either with shotguns from pickups or use mainly 308/30-06/270 hunting rifles with light bullets for long distance shooting in the desert (300-400m) the original owner of the MS carbine probably bought it in Austria and later when in Egypt realized he had made a mistake.
Ps: after the ”Arab Spring” all hunting except for ducks has stopped. Not many gazelles or Nubian ibexes left in the country…..

The MS 1903 carbine uses a 160 grain bullet with moderate speed (680-700m/sec).
Excellent for ”normal” hunting up to 150 or max 200m……… the methods in Egypt was to shoot the dorcas gazelles either with shotguns from pickups or use mainly 308/30-06/270 hunting rifles with light bullets for long distance shooting in the desert (300-400m) the original owner of the MS carbine probably bought it in Austria and later when in Egypt realized he had made a mistake.
Ps: after the ”Arab Spring” all hunting except for ducks has stopped. Not many gazelles or Nubian ibexes left in the country…..
Interesting, thanks.

Interesting, thanks.
The MS 6,5x54 carbine was at one stage (beg to mid last century)extremely popular among big game (elephant ) hunters in Africa. Some had it as their main rifle others as alternative to a double…..the MS carbine was light; extremely accurate and the long 160 grain FMJ bullet reached the brain also on big bull elephants.
These days in Europe it is fine for most game….
barely meets the requirements for moose hunting in Finland.

barely meets the requirements for moose hunting in Finland.
Which seem to change from time to time. When I lived there in the 1990's, the minimum for moose was a .30 caliber and a certain level of muzzle energy. .308 and .30-06 were popular. I knew one guy who used a Valmet double in 9.3x74R.

Latest posts

Back